Old August 1st 20, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT: What's the point of a laundry basket?

On 8/1/20 8:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/1/2020 4:54 AM, Chris Green wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:37:35 +0100, dpb wrote:

What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes
straight into the washing machine?

Don't suppose ever heard of "sorting" did you?

Why would I sort dirty clothes from dirty clothes? They all get washed
together. You do realise dyes are all colour fast now?

Light/cotton

Mixed coloureds

Darks

All get washed separately in our household.* Have you not noticed the
labels on towels in particular saying "Wash dark colours separately".

We also wash woollen pullovers occasionally, these need a gentler wash
than the run of the mill 'ordinary' things.* At the other end of the
spectrum one might want to wash sheets and towels on a hotter longer
wash than clothes.

Too much fuss.* I do two loads.* One is whites that get bleach.* All
colors including sheets and towels go in the other load.
No wool in this house.

To simplify further, all my socks are plain white sweat socks.* No
matching, no pairing, just stack them up and put in the drawer.

So are you lazy or efficient?

Old August 1st 20, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2020 08:22 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I haven't owned a washing machine since the early '70s. After horsing
that ****ing thing into the cellar I said 'Never again.'

Things are much lighter now. I brought home a top loader about a year
ago on my pickup. Unloaded it myself, only had to move it up 4 steps to
get it in the house. Did it all myself and I am 70 years old. I did
have a small hand truck, not one of the larger appliance hand trucks.

I did move the old one out myself also. Just had to get it down the 4
steps.

It wasn't so much the weight as the awkwardness. That, plus every time
you try to lift it you find another crisp edge. I shed more blood than
working on a cheap computer cabinet.

The house had its moments. My mother in law gifted us with a king sized
bed for our wedding. To get upstairs there were three steps up to a
landing that separated the kitchen from the living room and three steps
back down. The staircase was step and perpendicular to the landing. I
wasn't home when the Macy's truck showed up. After trying all approaches
the finally told my wife 'Lady, that thing is not going to go.'

Eventually we bought a fold out sleeper sofa and left it on the first
floor. There were a couple of other rooms there, one of which was
supposed to be a dining room, I guess. Neither of use were House
Beautiful material.

Old August 1st 20, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:4k_UG.79663$fa5.44249
@fx30.iad:

On 7/31/2020 2:56 PM, wrote:
What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes
straight into the washing machine?

Because I'm not about to traipse up and down 2 flight of stairs just

dump a few clothes each day. :-(

(Now if I still had a "clothes chute" like the last house........)

My first house was two flight of stairs for laundry.
Next house was one flight, much better
This house, same floor. Best way ever.

The basket is a buffer zone where you can sort the whites from the
coloured items.

Old August 1st 20, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes
straight into the washing machine?

It's extra complexity for those who insist on taking off their clothes
someplace other than in front of the washing machine. Some even have to
have "hampers" to further complicate the process.

--
"If Jesus loves me, why doesn't he ever send me flowers?"
Old August 1st 20, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/31/20 2:16 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Presumably your machine is on the 1st floor, and you sleep on the 2nd
floor.* Presumably you spend most of your day on the 1st floor.* Why
not bring the clothes down with you when you get up in the morning?

No, 2 flights meant I'm on 2nd floor, and machine is in basement.

Besides, what about folks who have no machine, and use a laundromat ?* BYDT

When I was going out to do laundry, I found it a lot better with a large
plastic bag rather than a basket. For one thing, the bag (if not too
full) can be held closed at the top, to avoid loss of clothes along the way.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There was never such a gigantic lie told as the fable of the Garden of
Eden."
Old August 1st 20, 06:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:00:27 +0100, Sam E wrote:

What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes
straight into the washing machine?

It's extra complexity for those who insist on taking off their clothes
someplace other than in front of the washing machine.

Indeed, what prudes. Anyway, even if you take them off in the bedroom far from the washing machine, why not leave them on the floor and carry them to the machine when you get up the next morning?

Some even have to
have "hampers" to further complicate the process.

I thought a laundry basket and a hamper were the same thing? One is UK usage, one is USA?
Old August 1st 20, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/31/2020 2:56 PM, wrote:
What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes
straight into the washing machine?

Because I'm not about to traipse up and down 2 flight of stairs just

dump a few clothes each day. :-(

(Now if I still had a "clothes chute" like the last house........)

My first house was two flight of stairs for laundry.
Next house was one flight, much better
This house, same floor. Best way ever.

The basket is a buffer zone where you can sort the whites from the
coloured items.

Colour fast dyes were invented decades ago. I wash everything together. Only one cheap red shirt from China on Ebay in 20 years of washing has ever lost colour. So I got a few pink socks, not the end of the world. Certainly less hassle than sorting every single wash for 20 years.
Old August 1st 20, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[snip]

Besides, what about folks who have no machine, and use a laundromat?

They still have those?* I thought those went out in the 60s.* My washing
machine cost me nothing, I got it on freecycle, so don't claim people
can be too poor to own one.

Some live in apartments that don't have washer/dryer connections. I have
in the past and know some who still do.

BYDT

DMMLTU