Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

Just an update on the latest state.

Only one PC is now giving problems. It's also the oldest one. It uses a TP
Link Wi-Fi dongle, on the 'main' Wi-Fi circuit. It has multiple boot - Win
10, Win7 and XP all on individual HDs. Win 10 on a new SSD. Booting Win7,
it works fine with everything.

Win 10, it can see and share with the laptops, but not the other way round.

Both laptops show it in nework. One appears to access it, but shows only
Disk F. Which doesn't exist. And if you open it shows empty.

Other one says something like 'you haven't got permission to access this
computer - see your network administrator' or whatever.

And since I've got 4 computers I've recently updated to Win10, they're all
set up in the same way. Turning off the Windows Firewall makes no
difference.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Win 10, it can see and share with the laptops, but not the other way round.
And since I've got 4 computers I've recently updated to Win10, they're all
set up in the same way.

Were they wipe and install, or upgrade, if the latter then differences
will have been carried forward.

under control panel/network & sharing centre/change advanced sharing options

have you got network discovery and file/printer sharing both turned on
for the "private" profile (assuming your PC does think it's on the
private profile, which it ought to)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Win 10, it can see and share with the laptops, but not the other way
round. And since I've got 4 computers I've recently updated to Win10,
they're all set up in the same way.

Were they wipe and install, or upgrade, if the latter then differences
will have been carried forward.

A mixture. The one giving problems a clean install on a new SSD.

under control panel/network & sharing centre/change advanced sharing
options

have you got network discovery and file/printer sharing both turned on
for the "private" profile (assuming your PC does think it's on the
private profile, which it ought to)

Yup - that's all very similar to Win7.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Win 10 file sharing problem Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 50 August 7th 20 02:42 PM
Win Win Win Win...... * Its my Pleasure * Home Repair 0 February 20th 08 05:55 AM
Win-win idea Alwen Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 07:15 PM
A win-win idea Alwen Woodworking 3 December 6th 05 11:24 PM
A win-win all the way around!! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 0 September 6th 04 09:57 PM