Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

On 03/08/2020 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data
butÂ* have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that
canÂ* withstand being dropped.
Â* Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...
Â* [1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

I just thought I'd mention that Argos are selling the Motorola E5 Play
for £64.95 (down from £89.95):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8520867

I've just picked one up and it looks like it can do the job for a low
price.

Hmm.. The card payment system won't allow the card expiry date to be
entered:-(

I had a problem with this: it appears not to accept the value but
registers it anyway. (Stupid Argos losing sales.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 03/08/2020 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data
but* have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that
can* withstand being dropped.
* Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...
* [1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

I just thought I'd mention that Argos are selling the Motorola E5
Play for £64.95 (down from £89.95):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8520867

I've just picked one up and it looks like it can do the job for a
low price.

Hmm.. The card payment system won't allow the card expiry date to be
entered:-(

I had a problem with this: it appears not to accept the value but
registers it anyway. (Stupid Argos losing sales.)

I'm still on W7 so maybe FF/W7 combination.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2020 20:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

Moto E has swappable batteries IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 31/07/2020 20:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia
6.1, my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to
change. You would need special tools and a youtube video to show you
what to do to change the battery.

Moto E has swappable batteries IIRC.

Indeed. Currently charging on my desk:-)

Slightly twitchy at the amount of personal data Google is pushing to
have use/access.

Maps seems easy enough.

I find the key strokes rather quick for my aged faculties. The pressed
key illuminates but I am finding TNP quantities of errors particularly
passwords where the symbol is quickly hidden.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 20:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 31/07/2020 20:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

Â*These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia
6.1,Â* my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to
change. YouÂ* would need special tools and a youtube video to show you
what to do toÂ* change the battery.

Moto E has swappable batteries IIRC.

Indeed. Currently charging on my desk:-)

Slightly twitchy at the amount of personal data Google is pushing to
have use/access.

You can go tweak what google see/keep... if you go to:

https://myaccount.google.com/

Most bits I have turned off, although the location history is quite
handy I find - especially working out where I have been, how many miles
etc.

(well pre covid anyway - these days its a *very* dull maps timeline!)

Maps seems easy enough.

Â*I find the key strokes rather quick for my aged faculties. The pressed
key illuminates but I am finding TNP quantities of errors particularly
passwords where the symbol is quickly hidden.

For general typing (rather than passwords as such) its worth trying the
swipe typing. Basically stick you finger on the first letter, then just
slide to the approximate location of the remaining letters in sequence
without lifting. It makes a surprisingly good job of working out what
you probably meant to type.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

They are up front about what they would like to keep anyway. I'm still
plodding through the user guide and a long way off actually using the
thing:-)

Several recent impossible to hear conversations with Indian call centre
ladies following a billing error and complaint. This on the old Alkatel
with the volume fully up:-)

Most bits I have turned off, although the location history is quite
handy I find - especially working out where I have been, how many miles
etc.

(well pre covid anyway - these days its a *very* dull maps timeline!)

Maps seems easy enough.

*I find the key strokes rather quick for my aged faculties. The
pressed key illuminates but I am finding TNP quantities of errors
particularly passwords where the symbol is quickly hidden.

For general typing (rather than passwords as such) its worth trying the
swipe typing. Basically stick you finger on the first letter, then just
slide to the approximate location of the remaining letters in sequence
without lifting. It makes a surprisingly good job of working out what
you probably meant to type.

:-) Never come across that!

--
Tim Lamb