Old July 30th 20, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ghost Signs (Preservation)

On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 21:28:28 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge of preserving / conserving / maintaining ghost signs?

We have one (B&W) in the village which is Fading fast.

I have read that the reason many have lasted so long is
Because that were originally painted with lead based oil paint.

I presume that’s not an option today.

Most of the (few) restorations I’ve seen online involve repainting to as new condition.

I think it would be preferable to keep a weathered look, but in such a way that it didn’t need attention for at least a decade or preferably two or three.

Any thoughts??

No thoughts about how to preserve them, I'm afraid.

But I do particularly remember the very large SWS (static water supply) sign painted on a building in St Peter Street, Winchester, just off North Walls, by the cinema.

Old July 30th 20, 05:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I have never heard of a ghost sign myself.

Neither had I, but it is a useful name.

Old July 30th 20, 07:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:51 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 02:51:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

02:51??? AGAIN? Are you TOTALLY nuts, you clinically insane trolling senile
pest? Of COURSE, you are!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Old August 1st 20, 09:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 09:38, NY wrote:
The one I know (because it's near me) is
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Bile_Beans.jpg

I remember it was faded when I first moved to the York area in about
2007, and has been (bean?) repainted in its present form since then.

Well well, B****r me. I thought that looked kind of familiar - when I
was a student I had digs just along from there in the old nurses home.
Which is over 40 years ago now!

Andy