Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plague of flies

Is anyone else being plagued by lots of flies indoors?

In the kitchen we have a UV light electrocution device (similar to the
Insectocutor ones that butchers use) and a length of sticky flypaper. But
the flies seem to avoid both of these. The UV zapper is great for catching
tiny fruit flies, but larger bluebottle sized flies don't seem to be
attracted to it. We've tried it both near a window (which will be light
during the day) and in a darker part of the room, and we've left it on
overnight when the UV light will be the only light source that the flies
will see.

We had a fly trap outside which mimicked the smell of rotten meat and that
caught thousands of flies but may need renewing because it doesn't seem to
be attracting as many flies now.

As I write, there are five of the little buggers flying around me all the
time. I've got a UV light right next to me, but they avoid that and fly
everywhere else...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:
[...]

Using one of these can be a source of great satisfaction, though despite
sparks being visible, they are often only stunned, so while they are
unconscious take swift action to reduce one of their dimensions to close
to zero

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUYURI-Mosq...a-924553056875
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:
[...]

I think they suggest you stick some bait in the try to attract them...
(must admit ours tends to get lots of moths etc, but blue bottles ignore it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:54, Mark Carver wrote:
On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:

Using one of these can be a source of great satisfaction, though despite
sparks being visible, they are often only stunned, so while they are
unconscious take swift action to reduce one of their dimensions to close
to zero

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUYURI-Mosq...a-924553056875

The "Executioner" branded one is actually pretty good - it makes a far
more dramatic "bang" on contact than the other I have tried - and will
knock down wasps and things fairly easily.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 13:46:26 UTC+1, NY wrote:
[...]

UV insect electrocuters attract the wrong species. They're yesterday's tech now.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY expressed precisely :
In the kitchen we have a UV light electrocution device (similar to the
Insectocutor ones that butchers use) and a length of sticky flypaper. But the
flies seem to avoid both of these. The UV zapper is great for catching tiny
fruit flies, but larger bluebottle sized flies don't seem to be attracted to
it.

I had one of those UV units running for months a few years ago, it
never caught a single one. Most effective solution has been a mesh
screen across the often open back door, one of those that uses magnets
to keep itself closed. They normally provide Velcro to fix them round
the door frame, but that doesn't stay stuck for long. As it was so
effective, I simply made a frame to fix it from 20 x 20mm timber,
screwed to the door frame. We have had no more than two large flys in
the house so far this year, but a few of the really tiny ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:40:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I think they suggest you stick some bait in the try to attract them...
(must admit ours tends to get lots of moths etc, but blue bottles ignore
it)

Not all species of fly are attracted to UV, round here is it small 2
- 3 mm "floaters" that ignore it. Blue bottles don't but when they
get zapped they explode spreading bits of fly over a couple of
feet...

We did have an invasion of the same species of "house fly" last week,
dozen or more of the things just suddenly appeared. Next day we found
the well decomposed remains of a blackbird hidden near the door that
we had left open for longer than normal before we noticed the flys...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:54, Mark Carver wrote:

Using one of these can be a source of great satisfaction, though despite
sparks being visible, they are often only stunned, so while they are
unconscious take swift action to reduce one of their dimensions to close
to zero

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUYURI-Mosq.../dp/B07T6DT8Y2

Poundland sells these, and with mine I've seen flies stunned with sparks
and, yes, they often recover and fly off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGR2G4qHm6g

Like BigClive's video, my one is yellow, which I think may be working
against me swatting the critters, given that its a nature warning
colour. Should try environmentally friendly green...

One downside is the smell of burning fly flesh and whatever recent
delight that the fly had enjoyed before the electrocution. I don't think
that's too healthy to breathe....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are aware of course that these are quite popular as sex toys as well.

I still think one needs to establish where they are coming from. If its
inside you need to find the source. I had a problem with carpet beetles a
few years ago, when they died there were carpets of them on the window
sills. We suspect they were eating the wool underlay in the sitting room.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You are aware of course that these are quite popular as sex toys as well.

I wont ask how you know that.

I still think one needs to establish where they are coming from.

He already knows that, all those corpses of those he has murdered.

On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 06:55:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:54, Mark Carver wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUYURI-Mosq...a-924553056875

I've got one of them. The children love it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
You need an entomologist and find out what they are and what they have
hatched out from. Probably a dead rat?
Brian

My guess would be a dead mouse. That's sufficient.

A dead mouse will feed a cloud of flies for
quite a while, until the carcass thoroughly dries out.

You can have a dead mouse in a wall or ceiling, and
the flies can then find a gap somewhere, so that after
lunch, they can come visit.

For confirmation, sometimes you'll catch a whiff of the
decaying mouse.

Treating the area where the cloud lives, is more efficient
than treating the area with the five flies in it.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recall once opening a loft hatch in one house I worked in. Everything was coated with flies. Apparently it was a cluster fly infestation.
One source suggested it was a sign of a healthy earthworm population in the lawn.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-...cluster-flies/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2020 13:46, NY wrote:

Using one of these can be a source of great satisfaction, though
despite sparks being visible, they are often only stunned, so while
they are unconscious take swift action to reduce one of their
dimensions to close to zero

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUYURI-Mosq...-Swatter/dp/B0
7T6DT8Y2/ref=asc_df_B07T6DT8Y2

The "Executioner" branded one is actually pretty good - it makes a far
more dramatic "bang" on contact than the other I have tried - and will
knock down wasps and things fairly easily.

I have the "Executioner" electric fly swatter but find bluebottles will
survive it despite being dramatically flung across the room. I hate the
things and end up chasing after them with fly spray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote :
I recall once opening a loft hatch in one house I worked in. Everything was
coated with flies. Apparently it was a cluster fly infestation.
One source suggested it was a sign of a healthy earthworm population in the
lawn.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-...cluster-flies/

The warmth yesterday afternoon, brought out lots of flies here in the
garden. A slim bodied fly with what looked like four quite slim wings,
which folded tight above their thorax once they landed.

I wonder what they were - is there a fly identification website?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Cynic wrote :
I recall once opening a loft hatch in one house I worked in.
Everything was coated with flies. Apparently it was a cluster fly
infestation.
One source suggested it was a sign of a healthy earthworm population
in the lawn.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-...cluster-flies/

The warmth yesterday afternoon, brought out lots of flies here in the
garden. A slim bodied fly with what looked like four quite slim wings,
which folded tight above their thorax once they landed.

I wonder what they were - is there a fly identification website?

Lot of queen Ants taking off yesterday evening. Probably more today!
Nice to see the birds gathering them up from hard surfaces this morning.

If you look for small piles of soil on your lawn, poking a sharp tool
underneath will often reveal Ant pupae and a flock of slightly angry
Ants:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Cynic wrote :
I recall once opening a loft hatch in one house I worked in. Everything was
coated with flies. Apparently it was a cluster fly infestation.
One source suggested it was a sign of a healthy earthworm population in the
lawn.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-...cluster-flies/

The warmth yesterday afternoon, brought out lots of flies here in the
garden. A slim bodied fly with what looked like four quite slim wings,
which folded tight above their thorax once they landed.

Possible a breed of wasp. There are billions of different varieties. I
have some like those tunnelling into some rotten logs by my back door.

I wonder what they were - is there a fly identification website?

Almost certainly. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls