Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Septic tank

On 30/07/2020 09:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 29/07/2020 22:16, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2020 18:20, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 29/07/2020 17:03, Ophelia wrote:

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:27:40 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

Recent post about septic tank produced a lot of hot air. Just
wondering
how many on this list actually live in a house served by a septic
tank?

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in
their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside.Â* It
turned out someone was attempting to syphon the fuel but syphoned the
septic tank instead :-)

===

Â*Â*Â* LOL serve them right )))
cesspool

How do you 'syphon' anything from a tank that is below ground ?.

I assume whats being referred to is a motorhomes waste tank (under the
floor of the motorhome) rather than a true septic tank.

I think the story is an urban legend though. Motorhomes often have fresh
water tank fillers that look a bit like fuel tank caps but grey water (or
toilet waste) drain taps could not be mistaken for fuel fillers.

Canal boats however DO have waste tanks with stoppers almost identical to
their fuel tank fillers (a screw in brass plug).

Tim

just noticed yesterday my car fuel tank has an anti-syphon device fitted
in the neck which won't let you tip the tank up to empty it...... simple
device

or perhaps on further thought is to stop the fuel going the wrong way
for whatever reason ????????????....three hinged triangular flaps which
shut in a frame when you tip the tank upside down....but let fuel
through when filling??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Recent post about septic tank produced a lot of hot air. Just wondering
how many on this list actually live in a house served by a septic tank?

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in
their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside.ÂÂ* It
turned out someone was attempting to syphon the fuel but syphoned the
septic tank instead :-)

===

 ÂÂ* LOL serve them right )))

cesspool

How do you 'syphon' anything from a tank that is below ground ?.

====

Â*Â* With a pump?

a jobbie wheecher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message

just noticed yesterday my car fuel tank has an anti-syphon device fitted
in the neck which won't let you tip the tank up to empty it...... simple
device

or perhaps on further thought is to stop the fuel going the wrong way for
whatever reason ????????????....three hinged triangular flaps which shut
in a frame when you tip the tank upside down....but let fuel through when
filling??????

How do you tip a car fuel tank upside down? That would involve turning the
car upside down. ;-)

Do you perhaps mean a fuel can - a small (eg) 5-litre portable can (plastic
or metal) kept as a reserve or used to transfer fuel to a mower etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:09:19 +0100, NY wrote:

or perhaps on further thought is to stop the fuel going the wrong

way
for whatever reason ????????????....three hinged triangular flaps

which
shut in a frame when you tip the tank upside down....but let fuel
through when filling??????

How do you tip a car fuel tank upside down? That would involve turning
the car upside down. ;-)

You've not rolled a car onto it's roof? You've not lived.

A word from the wise(r). Should you ever find yourself hanging upside
down in a seatbelt remember gravity will deposit you very quickly
into an untidy heap on the broken glass spread over the roof lining.

BTDTGTTS. Sustained more injuries getting out than aquired in the
crash...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 13:09, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message

just noticed yesterday my car fuel tank has an anti-syphon device
fitted in the neck which won't let you tip the tank up to empty
it...... simple device

or perhaps on further thought is to stop the fuel going the wrong way
for whatever reason ????????????....three hinged triangular flaps
which shut in a frame when you tip the tank upside down....but let
fuel through when filling??????

How do you tip a car fuel tank upside down? That would involve turning
the car upside down. ;-)

Do you perhaps mean a fuel can - a small (eg) 5-litre portable can
(plastic or metal) kept as a reserve or used to transfer fuel to a mower
etc.

no I was replacing the tank and was trying to drain the old one....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:09:19 +0100, NY wrote:

or perhaps on further thought is to stop the fuel going the wrong

way
for whatever reason ????????????....three hinged triangular flaps

which
shut in a frame when you tip the tank upside down....but let fuel
through when filling??????

How do you tip a car fuel tank upside down? That would involve turning
the car upside down. ;-)

You've not rolled a car onto it's roof? You've not lived.

A word from the wise(r). Should you ever find yourself hanging upside
down in a seatbelt remember gravity will deposit you very quickly
into an untidy heap on the broken glass spread over the roof lining.

BTDTGTTS. Sustained more injuries getting out than aquired in the
crash...

Ouch!
So next time....?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Recent post about septic tank produced a lot of hot air. Just
wondering
how many on this list actually live in a house served by a septic
tank?

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in
their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside. It
[...]

Maybe its meant to work better in a rollover which loses the petrol cap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Recent post about septic tank produced a lot of hot air. Just wondering
how many on this list actually live in a house served by a septic tank?

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in
their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside.ÀšÃ‚ It
turned out someone was attempting to syphon the fuel but syphoned the
septic tank instead :-)

===

Àš ÀšÃ‚ LOL serve them right )))

cesspool

How do you 'syphon' anything from a tank that is below ground ?.

====

  With a pump?

a jobbie wheecher

===

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 03:43:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

thinking that if it was just to stop syphoning it wouldn't have the
three wee triangular one way flaps....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/7/20 9:27 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/07/2020 12:03, NY wrote:
Cess pit: sealed container which has no outflow and does little to
process the sewage - effectively everything that goes in has to be
emptied back out.

Septic tank: two vessels which process the sewage and discharge
*fairly* innocuous liquid into a soakway or a water course (though the
latter is not allowed in the new 2020 regs)

Neither have been allowed for years. That's why I had to put in what you
call a 'mini sewage works' back in the noughties.. had a septic tank
discharging into a soakaway, they said 'New house? Cant use that'

Mini sewage works: septic tank with mechanical agitation and maybe air
bubbled through the sewage to help it to rot more, discharging liquid
which is cleaner than for a septic tank, into either a soakway or a
watercourse (the latter *is* allowed in the 2020 regs).

Other methods are allowable. I.e. reed beds etc etc

In Australia mine is a tank that overflows into an absorption trench and
every year I have to pay a fee "to operate a sewage treatment works"