DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   feckin' windows 10 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/678135-feckin-windows-10-a.html)

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 09:51 AM

feckin' windows 10

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

Scott[_17_] July 28th 20 10:38 AM

feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

I once had something similar (not a W10 update). The mouse was
cordless and the dongle was in an additional USB port rather than the
main one. It turned out the additional port was not recognised at the
start and moving it to the 'main' port instead resolved the problem.

alan_m July 28th 20 11:22 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 11:39 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another moose ....

T i m July 28th 20 12:01 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Scott[_17_] July 28th 20 12:03 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

JohnP July 28th 20 12:15 PM

feckin' windows 10

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 12:31 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 11:15, JohnP wrote:

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

what touchpad ? ...

Paul[_46_] July 28th 20 12:42 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

I once had something similar (not a W10 update). The mouse was
cordless and the dongle was in an additional USB port rather than the
main one. It turned out the additional port was not recognised at the
start and moving it to the 'main' port instead resolved the problem.

No, the thing Jim is seeing, has happened before.
Many releases of Windows 10 have had the problem.

I've had different mice on the Test Machine and
the serial (RS232) mouse always worked. Occasionally
one or both USB mice would disappear.

This used to be traceable, to leaving your "allow
Windows Update to mess up your drivers" tick box.
If stuff like that is unticked, there's less trouble afoot.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

(Picture)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...ings_10565.png

But I don't have a particularly magical method of restoring mouse.
Not a "surgical" method. The mouse is broken, and not everyone
has an extra mouse to plug in and try and tip things upright.

Jim would not like the other methods I have in mind.

*******

mouse can move the cursor for you. If you have multiple
mice, you might well get lucky and have a working mouse
again.

Paul

Scott[_17_] July 28th 20 01:04 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

not me

Thanks for clarifying that :-)

Andrew[_22_] July 28th 20 01:28 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another moose ....

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 01:45 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

I once had something similar (not a W10 update).Â* The mouse was
cordless and the dongle was in an additional USB port rather than the
main one.Â* It turned out the additional port was not recognised at the
start and moving it to the 'main' port instead resolved the problem.

No, the thing Jim is seeing, has happened before.
Many releases of Windows 10 have had the problem.

I've had different mice on the Test Machine and
the serial (RS232) mouse always worked. Occasionally
one or both USB mice would disappear.

This used to be traceable, to leaving your "allow
Windows Update to mess up your drivers" tick box.
If stuff like that is unticked, there's less trouble afoot.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Â*Â* (Picture)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...ings_10565.png

But I don't have a particularly magical method of restoring mouse.
Not a "surgical" method. The mouse is broken, and not everyone
has an extra mouse to plug in and try and tip things upright.

Jim would not like the other methods I have in mind.

*******

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* mouse can move the cursor for you. If you have multiple
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* mice, you might well get lucky and have a working mouse
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* again.

Â*Â* Paul

got a ps2 moose and socket ? ....

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 01:46 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions
of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another moose

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the first
one that has caused trouble for a while.....

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 01:46 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

not me

Thanks for clarifying that :-)

I'm nice....must be tim hates me...tee hee

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 01:49 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

[...]

Â*Â*Â* (Picture)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...ings_10565.png

But I don't have a particularly magical method of restoring mouse.
Not a "surgical" method. The mouse is broken, and not everyone
has an extra mouse to plug in and try and tip things upright.

Jim would not like the other methods I have in mind.

*******

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* mouse can move the cursor for you. If you have multiple
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* mice, you might well get lucky and have a working mouse
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* again.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

got a ps2 moose and socket ? ....

no wait a minute that is why I'm using a USB moose the PS2 socked don't
work....bugger

Paul[_46_] July 28th 20 02:31 PM

feckin' windows 10

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions
of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable
for around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another
moose ....

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the first
one that has caused trouble for a while.....

winver

is the command to use to determine "version.patchlevel" .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history

WINVER Year/Month

10240.xxx 1507
10586.xxx 1511
14393.xxx 1607
15063.xxx 1703
16299.xxx 1709
17134.xxx 1803
17763.xxx 1809
18362.xxx 1903
18363.xxx 1909
19041.xxx 2004 === Jim is here, xxx will be the
last patch (Patch Tuesday) arriving

Jim did W10 Install only recently, new media used,
no crusty older disc. So "winver" dialog box should say
19041.

Paul

jon July 28th 20 02:45 PM

feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

newshound July 28th 20 02:57 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 13:45, jon wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Just had my first install of 2004 on an Acer laptop, which is now
running like treacle. Installs paused on all other machines while I see
if that recovers, or whether I need to do a roll-back.

newshound July 28th 20 02:59 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

2004? Easily the worst effect on subsequent performance that I have seen.

Paul[_46_] July 28th 20 03:02 PM

feckin' windows 10

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 11:15, JohnP wrote:

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

what touchpad ? ...

The word "touchpad", is associated with the problem
you're experiencing.

That's why the person asked a question, to see if
maybe you had a physical touchpad, and the driver
given to that touchpad, broke the mouse.

Windows will even attempt to install touchpad drivers
on computers that don't have touchpads. There was
a doozy of a bad driver a few years back, that broke
all input on computers as a side-effect. It only
took Microsoft two hours to pull that driver, which
is a record for them in terms of response speed.
The problem was, the PNP (Plug And Play) section
of the INF, wasn't specific enough, and would
"bind to anything".

Paul

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 28th 20 03:52 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 14:46, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:45:10 +0000, jon wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Unless I'm missing something spectacular, is there such a real *need* to
run Windows anymore ?

The only Enterprise piece of software really lacking is Outlook.

Especially since you can run a stripped down windows in a small virtual
machine for the few programs that you need that will only run on that
platform..

Only people who need a native windows are the real time game players
where direct access to massively expensive video hardware is de rigeur...

Josef Stalin

Andrew[_22_] July 28th 20 04:07 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 13:59, newshound wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

2004? Easily the worst effect on subsequent performance that I have seen.

I'm holding off installing that for now

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. July 28th 20 05:59 PM

feckin' windows 10

Jim GM4 DHJ ... pretended :
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped working?.....did
this not happen before?...fecked up a load of drivers?.....hate bloody
computers...

My Win10 Laptop was absolutely fine this time around - usually after an
update, it will tend to fail to restart properly or crash unexpectedly.

T i m July 28th 20 06:19 PM

feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:03:44 +0100, Scott
wrote:

snip

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

'Crazy Jim' you mean? No, I don't think so.

Cheers, T i m

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 06:26 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 13:31, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* WINVERÂ*Â*Â*Â* Year/Month

Â*Â* 10240.xxxÂ* 1507
Â*Â* 10586.xxxÂ* 1511
Â*Â* 14393.xxxÂ* 1607
Â*Â* 15063.xxxÂ* 1703
Â*Â* 16299.xxxÂ* 1709
Â*Â* 17134.xxxÂ* 1803
Â*Â* 17763.xxxÂ* 1809
Â*Â* 18362.xxxÂ* 1903
Â*Â* 18363.xxxÂ* 1909
Â*Â* 19041.xxxÂ* 2004Â* === Jim is here, xxx will be the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* last patch (Patch Tuesday) arriving

Jim did W10 Install only recently, new media used,
no crusty older disc. So "winver" dialog box should say
19041.

Â*Â* Paul

still no idea what you are on about ...

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 06:28 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 17:19, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:03:44 +0100, Scott
wrote:

snip

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

'Crazy Jim' you mean? No, I don't think so.

Cheers, T i m

tim tim not nice and dim

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 28th 20 06:30 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 14:02, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 11:15, JohnP wrote:

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

what touchpad ? ...

The word "touchpad", is associated with the problem
you're experiencing.

That's why the person asked a question, to see if
maybe you had a physical touchpad, and the driver
given to that touchpad, broke the mouse.

Windows will even attempt to install touchpad drivers
on computers that don't have touchpads. There was
a doozy of a bad driver a few years back, that broke
all input on computers as a side-effect. It only
took Microsoft two hours to pull that driver, which
is a record for them in terms of response speed.
The problem was, the PNP (Plug And Play) section
of the INF, wasn't specific enough, and would
"bind to anything".

Â*Â* Paul

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

Jimk July 28th 20 10:01 PM

feckin' windows 10

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

Go fill yet hole Scrott ...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

T i m July 29th 20 12:11 AM

feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:30:34 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

Do you have the box it came in and the receipt, I can help you with
what to say when you take it back.

teehee.

Cheers, T i m

T i m July 29th 20 01:16 AM

feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:35:28 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

snip

Only people who need a native windows are the real time game players
where direct access to massively expensive video hardware is de
rigeur...

Ah, one area of computing that has - since I first started writing in
6502/8080/68000 assembler has never really interested me.

And that's a big point (programmer).

If you do want to run games and if you have a wide range of hardware
that may never had Linux drivers written for it, then it has to be
Windows (Steam Machine anyone?) ;-)

eg. Most of my laptops dual boot a Windows and a Linux and whilst in
most cases Linux might have installed quicker and easier (picked up
the drivers during install, not the Windows update or manually), and
if you just want to use the std built in apps (thinking say Mint here
V say W10) then you could probably do more 'soft stuff' OOTB on Linux
than Windows.

However, as soon as you try to add say some vehicle diagnostic
software you often find it's Windows only (especially clones of the
mainstream stuff). If you can get to run under WINE you then have to
deal with the app looking for a COMM: port but Linux not relating to
those directly / easily.

Or it finds some parts of the hardware but doesn't let you do all
things (you can print but not scan etc).

It can work the other way round of course, like the multiple XBox One
DVB-T2 tuners I have that work easily on Linux / TVHeadend but I don't
think can seen by Windows at all (ironic give MS designed / sold the
Xbox). Only because a man in a shed bothered to write the firmware for
it. Who knows if it will ever be updated though.

Although that is a bit of a contrived situation. As HP have shown. it's
entirely possible to support *nix to a high degree if you choose to.

Yeah. I have it on an i5 desktop and Mint Cinnamon 64 bit and it flys
.... but it's a matter of finding things to use it with over Windows on
the same machine that I can do much more with easier (partly because
of familiarity and partly because you have so many good (properly
finished and featured) and free programs under Windows). Forte Agent,
Irfanview are a couple of examples (and running them under WINE or in
a Windows VM isn't a solution to the 'issue' of there not being Linux
versions (and Pan isn't a clone of FA as FA doesn't hang like Pan does
on several reasonable machines).

I have two people currently running Linux as their primary OS, one the
only OS. He had it on a desktop and a laptop (both Mint) but the
desktop seems to have gone wrong again and whilst I fixed it (or it
fixed itself while I was trying stuff) the last time I went there to
look at it, I am far less confident re the thought / hope of any
faultfinding than I am Windows.

Like, Windows is fairly likely to run in a GUI Safe mode and from that
I can get them to launch Teamviewer and then see what I can do.

I can sometimes get them to boot a live Linux DVD, get online,
download TV and launch it and me get access, it's just I don't
generally have any idea what to do next, outside trying some randomly
Googled 'Fix your Linux' type commands and seeing if I can stumble on
something. ;-(

Linux (or more accurately, the GNU bit) is slowly getting better that
way though, more of a 'Control Panel' type thing so less need for the
CLI (driver Manager FWIW etc).

Now if you are a programmer then it makes much more sense. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Paul[_46_] July 29th 20 01:20 AM

feckin' windows 10

newshound wrote:
On 28/07/2020 13:45, jon wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Just had my first install of 2004 on an Acer laptop, which is now
running like treacle. Installs paused on all other machines while I see
if that recovers, or whether I need to do a roll-back.

You could turn some stuff off, but then it would be little
better than running 15063 or so.

When you smash it and break stuff, then you get some cycles back.
And Pro is better for this, because you can do some of what's needed
with GPEDIT (there are two controls to disable Windows Defender,
not just one). The controls in the GUI to disable Windows Defender
don't work, but GPEDIT does.

And this is an example of trashing Windows Update.

rename wuaueng.dll wuaueng.dll.bak

The hard part is figuring out an environment where
you can get that to work.

The whole project is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig.

And they can ladle on abuse, faster than you can buy
faster hardware to compensate. All OSes are carrying
out "container" projects, designed to slow things
down. (Snaps, flatpaks, WSL2, you name it.) They want
to enable Hyper-V on the machines, to support their
container ideas. But a lot of machines, most of the
machines I've got, can't have Hyper-V turned on.
As SLAT/EPT support is missing in hardware. I have just
one machine with SLAT/EPT on it. Second Level Address Translation
is used to make gamer video cards work better in a
Hyper-V environment.

If Jim just wants to use the machine, he could put
ChromeOS (like a ChromeBook uses) on it. I have a
USB stick with the ChromeOS installer on it. But when
I tested that on two computers, it installed fine on one machine
but failed to install on the other. That's why I can't
tell Jim about that :-) He would say something about
fecking computers if his machine was a dud afterwards.
I was really surprised when that installer worked.
I thought for sure it would never work.

I'd sell copies of Win98, but there's not much you can
do with Win98 today. Web browsing wouldn't work. He couldn't
Youtube and stuff. Where's the fun if you can't Youtube ?

Some day when all this COVID is over, Jim can drop into
a store and test a ChromeBook and see if he likes it.
Maybe that would be less likely to brick.

I can't recommend Linux, because at least some of the
Linux distros are getting to behave like Windows. And you
still need nerd commands to escape from messes. Looking
up all those nerd commands is hard work (...systemd).

Paul

Paul[_46_] July 29th 20 03:31 AM

feckin' windows 10

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

You have a point.

If only they made analog computers, ones without updates.

Paul

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 29th 20 11:19 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 23:11, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:30:34 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

Do you have the box it came in and the receipt, I can help you with
what to say when you take it back.

teehee.

Cheers, T i m

no I'm cheap and never but from a shop.....tee hee

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 29th 20 11:19 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 29/07/2020 02:31, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

You have a point.

If only they made analog computers, ones without updates.

Â*Â* Paul

computers are just not an acceptable consumer item .....

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 29th 20 11:20 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 29/07/2020 00:20, Paul wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 28/07/2020 13:45, jon wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* rename wuaueng.dll wuaueng.dll.bak

[...]

no idea what you are talking about...

Jim GM4 DHJ ... July 29th 20 11:28 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 13:31, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

that wasn't THIS machine which is working fine I have three other
windows 10 road kill desktops one of which updated and the moose is
fecked.....I am replacing a fuel tank at the moment or I would try
another moose etc...

Michael Chare[_4_] July 29th 20 11:51 AM

feckin' windows 10

On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

I lost the use of the mousepad on my laptop recently. A mouse plugged
into a USB port did work. I eventually solved the problem by completely
powering the device off. A problem with the BIOS firmware I presume.

T i m July 29th 20 01:44 PM

feckin' windows 10

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:05:34 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 00:16:17 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:35:28 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

snip

Like, Windows is fairly likely to run in a GUI Safe mode and from that I
can get them to launch Teamviewer and then see what I can do.

I can sometimes get them to boot a live Linux DVD, get online, download
TV and launch it and me get access,

I created a SystemRescueCD with SSH enabled by default. (Possibly the
only one in existence).

Cool. ;-)

Boot from that, and as long as the machine has a
wired network connection you can SSH in to start digging and fixing.

I can / so use SSD now, especially for stuff that is supposed to run
headless and do so mainly though MobaXterm as it allows GUI
manipulation of lots of things that I couldn't do easily from the CLI.
I think I also had a GUI SSH terminal (XWindow?) once but haven't
since and do know what you would need to do so? ;-(

That, chroot, and apt(-get) or dpkg and you can fix most things.

Hmmm ... ;-)

it's just I don't generally have any
idea what to do next, outside trying some randomly Googled 'Fix your
Linux' type commands and seeing if I can stumble on something. ;-(

Linux (or more accurately, the GNU bit) is slowly getting better that
way though, more of a 'Control Panel' type thing so less need for the
CLI (driver Manager FWIW etc).

The biggest problem with Linux - and it's infected Android - is the
bewildering variety of layouts and locations for they myriad versions of
software for system settings.

Agreed.

Invariably when someone tries to post an
illustration to help it will be in a layout you don't have.

Yup, been there many times. ;-(

I am getting better at Googling / selecting that information that is
most likely to be directly relevant to my installed distro / DE.

I copy and paste something from a walkthrough (that was supposed to be
absolute / complete) and get an error message that takes me ever
further down the rabbit hole.

As I mentioned, it is getting better with the off 'This is broken, run
this command to fix it ...' will often do the trick (whatever it did
etc).

All that said, I do find myself using the CLI more these days, dmesg
(firmware issues on the TV tuners), lshw/usb, sudo apt-get install
whatever and a few others. I even used the CLI to copy a file
(because I couldn't seem to get the right permissions with the GUI,
even though I was the admin ... ?).

sudo service tvheadend stop / start / restart ... and the latest,
'top' (is it, looking at usage when streaming TV / video etc).

Learning how to re-instate features I found handy and they removed
like being able to open a folder via the GUI as Admin (or you can't
then create / edit a file in there).

It's funny, I was fairly competent in MSDOS but as you said, at least
the file structure was pretty consistent. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Andrew[_22_] July 29th 20 02:53 PM

feckin' windows 10

On 29/07/2020 02:31, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

You have a point.

If only they made analog computers, ones without updates.

Â*Â* Paul

The one that calculates tide times for anywhere in the world,
is still in working order in a basement in Liverpool.
Occasionally cranked up for a TV crew or demo.
'Updates' are a bit of oiling now and then to keep the
pulley wheels running free.