Old July 28th 20, 02:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default feckin' windows 10

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 11:15, JohnP wrote:

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

what touchpad ? ...

The word "touchpad", is associated with the problem
you're experiencing.

That's why the person asked a question, to see if
maybe you had a physical touchpad, and the driver
given to that touchpad, broke the mouse.

Windows will even attempt to install touchpad drivers
on computers that don't have touchpads. There was
a doozy of a bad driver a few years back, that broke
all input on computers as a side-effect. It only
took Microsoft two hours to pull that driver, which
is a record for them in terms of response speed.
The problem was, the PNP (Plug And Play) section
of the INF, wasn't specific enough, and would
"bind to anything".

Paul

Old July 28th 20, 02:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 14:46, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:45:10 +0000, jon wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Unless I'm missing something spectacular, is there such a real *need* to
run Windows anymore ?

The only Enterprise piece of software really lacking is Outlook.

Especially since you can run a stripped down windows in a small virtual
machine for the few programs that you need that will only run on that
platform..

Only people who need a native windows are the real time game players
where direct access to massively expensive video hardware is de rigeur...

Josef Stalin

Old July 28th 20, 03:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 13:59, newshound wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

2004? Easily the worst effect on subsequent performance that I have seen.

I'm holding off installing that for now
Old July 28th 20, 04:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4 DHJ ... pretended :
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped working?.....did
this not happen before?...fecked up a load of drivers?.....hate bloody
computers...

My Win10 Laptop was absolutely fine this time around - usually after an
update, it will tend to fail to restart properly or crash unexpectedly.
Old July 28th 20, 05:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:03:44 +0100, Scott
wrote:

snip

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

'Crazy Jim' you mean? No, I don't think so.

Cheers, T i m

Old July 28th 20, 05:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 13:31, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions
of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable
for around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another
moose ....

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the
first one that has caused trouble for a while.....

winver

is the command to use to determine "version.patchlevel" .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history

┬*┬* WINVER┬*┬*┬*┬* Year/Month

┬*┬* 10240.xxx┬* 1507
┬*┬* 10586.xxx┬* 1511
┬*┬* 14393.xxx┬* 1607
┬*┬* 15063.xxx┬* 1703
┬*┬* 16299.xxx┬* 1709
┬*┬* 17134.xxx┬* 1803
┬*┬* 17763.xxx┬* 1809
┬*┬* 18362.xxx┬* 1903
┬*┬* 18363.xxx┬* 1909
┬*┬* 19041.xxx┬* 2004┬* === Jim is here, xxx will be the
┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* last patch (Patch Tuesday) arriving

Jim did W10 Install only recently, new media used,
no crusty older disc. So "winver" dialog box should say
19041.

┬*┬* Paul

still no idea what you are on about ...
Old July 28th 20, 05:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

'Crazy Jim' you mean? No, I don't think so.

Cheers, T i m

tim tim not nice and dim
Old July 28th 20, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 14:02, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 11:15, JohnP wrote:

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

what touchpad ? ...

The word "touchpad", is associated with the problem
you're experiencing.

That's why the person asked a question, to see if
maybe you had a physical touchpad, and the driver
given to that touchpad, broke the mouse.

Windows will even attempt to install touchpad drivers
on computers that don't have touchpads. There was
a doozy of a bad driver a few years back, that broke
all input on computers as a side-effect. It only
took Microsoft two hours to pull that driver, which
is a record for them in terms of response speed.
The problem was, the PNP (Plug And Play) section
of the INF, wasn't specific enough, and would
"bind to anything".

┬*┬* Paul

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....
Old July 28th 20, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

Go fill yet hole Scrott ...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old July 28th 20, 11:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:30:34 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

computers make me sick...I just want something that WORKS....not
interested in all this ****e.....

Do you have the box it came in and the receipt, I can help you with
what to say when you take it back.

teehee.

Cheers, T i m