Old July 26th 20, 01:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof question.

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old July 26th 20, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2020 13:35:58, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

EPDM seem all the rage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof#EPDM

Old July 26th 20, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

See what the little men say....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old July 26th 20, 04:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:35:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a
conversion built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct
lie etc and marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three
layer. Size approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a
rough idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any
maintenance.

I find it mildly curious that in the 21st century, no one has seen fit
to come up with something that can be poured, finds the crack and seals
it ...

It's already had that treatment. But same as paint, doesn't last forever.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Old July 26th 20, 05:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 14:07:41 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

EPDM seem all the rage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof#EPDM

Had ours fibre glassed about 10 years ago. New OSB boards, the old
torch-on felt had failed and knackered those boards. Took the
oportunity to fit 100 mm of celotext between the roof joists. The
fibre glass is still waterproof or at least if it is leaking it's not
getting to anywhere visible inside. But then there is a poly sheet on
the warm side of the insulation and up and over the joists...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old July 26th 20, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

Here you go, Dave. Don't say I never do anything for you:

https://polyroof.co.uk/
Old July 26th 20, 06:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 14:07:41 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

EPDM seem all the rage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof#EPDM

Had ours fibre glassed about 10 years ago. New OSB boards, the old
torch-on felt had failed and knackered those boards. Took the
oportunity to fit 100 mm of celotext between the roof joists. The
fibre glass is still waterproof or at least if it is leaking it's not
getting to anywhere visible inside. But then there is a poly sheet on
the warm side of the insulation and up and over the joists...

Big snag is actually knowing how long these 'new' methods do last. Plenty
claims, though. The decking is marine ply, so hoping it will still be
just fine. The chippie who did the work was very good indeed.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Old July 26th 20, 06:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

Glassfibe will be quite a bit more expensive than EPDM. Probably best
to find a roofer who can provide quotes.

I don't think any special tools are needed to install EPDM, so it may be
suitable for DIY, though you may need several people to handle the
weight. It took 1 day to reroof a double garage with EPDM including
changing some boarding and maybe a joinst.

--
Michael Chare
Old July 26th 20, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?
Old July 26th 20, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 14:07:41 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

EPDM seem all the rage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof#EPDM

Had ours fibre glassed about 10 years ago. New OSB boards, the old
torch-on felt had failed and knackered those boards. Took the
oportunity to fit 100 mm of celotext between the roof joists. The
fibre glass is still waterproof or at least if it is leaking it's not
getting to anywhere visible inside. But then there is a poly sheet on
the warm side of the insulation and up and over the joists...

Big snag is actually knowing how long these 'new' methods do last.

Sounds like the story of the salesman who turned up at Steinway pianos
saying "We've got this wonderful new material for piano hammers instead of
that old fashioned felt." Steinway said they try it out. "Ah, when should
I come back?" "In about 100 years."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England