Old August 2nd 20, 10:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof question.

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
wrote:

On Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:24:11 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip
NT

As a matter of interest, what can you specifiy nowadays if you want
waterproof plywood?

https://www.contractflooringjournal....d-there-is-no-
such-thing-as-wbp/

NT

Thanks, that's helpful. But doesn't help with the elusive marine
plywood which is allowed to be wet! Perhaps it never existed.

I vaguely thought the special feature of marine ply beyond waterproof
glue was the lack of *voids* in the laminations.

I once watched normal plywood being made at a factory in Boise, Idaho.
Strips of glue were mechanically applied before workers *threw* hand
broken strips of laminate to cover the worst of the voids before the
next sheet of laminate was moved into position.

I think marine ply must use knot free timber stock.

--
Tim Lamb

Old August 2nd 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:37:25 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful. But doesn't help with the elusive marine
plywood which is allowed to be wet! Perhaps it never existed.

Well some form of ply wood existed that didn't fall apart when it got
wet. There was a bit here, untreated/paintted, used as a sign propped
up against a wall so lower edge on the ground that was still sound
after a couple of years. Bit moss and algae covered mind...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old August 2nd 20, 03:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 10:37:25, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:24:11 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip
NT

As a matter of interest, what can you specifiy nowadays if you want
waterproof plywood?

https://www.contractflooringjournal....d-there-is-no-
such-thing-as-wbp/

NT

Thanks, that's helpful. But doesn't help with the elusive marine
plywood which is allowed to be wet! Perhaps it never existed.

I'm not sure if it did. As I have said earlier the closest you can get
in buffalo boards that I have seen weather outside for 30+ years. They
were still sound and were showing their age more from a cosmetic point
of view. I have also seen marine ply last 30 years as a narrowboat
floor. One side would have been exposed to a wet bilge. Some areas were
becoming soggy.

In terms of specs there are some BS and ISO number as indicated by
various links in this thread.

But for total immersion I might use plastics like:

https://www.kedel.co.uk/mixed-plasti...50-x-50mm.html

Not cheap.

OSB of the right grade is used in houses where the panel is subject to
moisture, but again not immersion.

Old August 2nd 20, 04:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 10:37:27 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:24:11 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip
NT

As a matter of interest, what can you specifiy nowadays if you want
waterproof plywood?

https://www.contractflooringjournal....d-there-is-no-
such-thing-as-wbp/

NT

Thanks, that's helpful. But doesn't help with the elusive marine
plywood which is allowed to be wet! Perhaps it never existed.

Standard stuff on boats. I thought the wiki addressed the new classes in one of the links.

NT
Old August 2nd 20, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 11:38:22 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:37:25 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful. But doesn't help with the elusive marine
plywood which is allowed to be wet! Perhaps it never existed.

Well some form of ply wood existed that didn't fall apart when it got
wet. There was a bit here, untreated/paintted, used as a sign propped
up against a wall so lower edge on the ground that was still sound
after a couple of years. Bit moss and algae covered mind...

WBP or shuttering ply

NT