UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 02:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 40,786
Default Flat roof question.

In article ,
Robert wrote:
On 26/07/2020 13:35, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a
conversion built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct
lie etc and marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three
layer. Size approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a
rough idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any
maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?


Care to guess what that would cost? And likely to reinforce the roof which
wasn't designed for it?

Zinc would be cheaper. But noisy in the rain.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

  #22   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 02:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 40,786
Default Flat roof question.

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Robert wrote:
On 26/07/2020 13:35, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a
rough idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?


Doesn't help indoor FM radio reception.



Some of us have external aerials. ;-)

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #23   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 40,786
Default Flat roof question.

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I've been using EDPM,
went on a one day course to learn how to do the corners.


https://www.permaroof.co.uk/rubber-roof-videos




It's easy to repair with its special primer and glues and patches, like when i dropped a slate on it.


Made by firestone , Ultra violet resistant.


Normal shed roofing only lasts a few years.


Well, this has lasted 30. So you're not doing a good job of selling an
alternative. ;-)

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #24   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 04:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,130
Default Flat roof question.

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Robert
wrote:
On 26/07/2020 13:35, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a
conversion built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the
correct lie etc and marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it
is three layer. Size approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And
a rough idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any
maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?


Doesn't help indoor FM radio reception.



Some of us have external aerials. ;-)


which would ned to well above the new "earth"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle
  #25   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 04:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2015
Posts: 925
Default Flat roof question.

On 26/07/2020 13:35, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.


For a flat roof on a double garage the quote was £2100+ vat for EPDM,
part of one joist and removal of old material.


--
Michael Chare


  #26   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 05:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 198
Default Flat roof question.

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:59:29 PM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/07/2020 10:04, George Miles wrote:
I've been using EDPM,
went on a one day course to learn how to do the corners.

https://www.permaroof.co.uk/rubber-roof-videos



It's easy to repair with its special primer and glues and patches, like when i dropped a slate on it.

Made by firestone , Ultra violet resistant.


I am glad that it is easy to repair as it looks like it might be easily
damaged.


--
Michael Chare

EDPM stuck to OSB is tough stuff,
I broke mine by a slate sliding from high up the roof
and spearing it with a point

[g]

  #27   Report Post  
Old July 27th 20, 05:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 198
Default Flat roof question.

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 4:55:34 PM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 26/07/2020 13:35, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance..


For a flat roof on a double garage the quote was £2100+ vat for EPDM,
part of one joist and removal of old material.


--
Michael Chare


Check out the price of a kit from Permaroof if you do it yourself,
its not difficult.
And because it comes in a single sheet you dont have to do it all in one day,
you can drape the sheet over before gluing if it rains,
and stick one edge on day,
the rest another day.

It took me months to do parts of my house roof with it because so many corners

[g]
[g]
  #28   Report Post  
Old July 28th 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2015
Posts: 708
Default Flat roof question.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.


What would the team suggest for a 20 year old felt/bitumen flat roof that
has a small leak, but has some degree of sagging which causes ponding -
possibly due to movement of the underlying structure rather than softness of
the roof itself?

I see there's the equivalent of floor levelling compound for flat roofs, but
is it any good, especially on top of existing bitumen? How does it manage
to achieve a fall, rather than being a horizontal level?

Have quotes 2-3K for a strip and redo, but wondering if there's anything
less drastic?

Thanks
Theo
  #29   Report Post  
Old July 28th 20, 10:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 6,390
Default Flat roof question.

Theo wrote:

some degree of sagging which causes ponding -
possibly due to movement of the underlying structure


Can you get any wedges/packers between the top of rafters and the
ply/osb/why?
  #30   Report Post  
Old July 28th 20, 10:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,517
Default Flat roof question.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 18:20:35 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Had ours fibre glassed about 10 years ago.


Big snag is actually knowing how long these 'new' methods do last.


True enough, though glassfibre has been about for quite a number of
decades in other things like boats.

--
Cheers
Dave.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too flat a flat roof? Mathew Newton[_2_] UK diy 27 September 23rd 18 02:02 PM
how to build a wooden frame for a felted apex roof to put over my leaking concrete flat-roof usenet2012 UK diy 10 February 28th 13 06:54 AM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017