Old July 26th 20, 07:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof question.

In article ,
Robert wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a
rough idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?

Doesn't help indoor FM radio reception.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old July 26th 20, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Wrote in message:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

How about old fashioned lead ?

It is SW londun after all.....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old July 26th 20, 07:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2020 19:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 14:07:41 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

EPDM seem all the rage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof#EPDM

Had ours fibre glassed about 10 years ago. New OSB boards, the old
torch-on felt had failed and knackered those boards. Took the
oportunity to fit 100 mm of celotext between the roof joists. The
fibre glass is still waterproof or at least if it is leaking it's not
getting to anywhere visible inside. But then there is a poly sheet on
the warm side of the insulation and up and over the joists...

Big snag is actually knowing how long these 'new' methods do last.

Sounds like the story of the salesman who turned up at Steinway pianos
saying "We've got this wonderful new material for piano hammers instead of
that old fashioned felt." Steinway said they try it out. "Ah, when should
I come back?" "In about 100 years."

Sometime in the 1970s I was involved in a submarine cable project.
Featuring Germanium transistors "Silicon hasn't been around long enough
to know they will last"

Asked my oncologist "what is the 15 years outlook for this
chemotherapy?" "Dunno: it's only been around just over a decade"

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Old July 27th 20, 01:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2020 13:36:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

EPDM & fibreglass are both diyable. The issue we ran into with EPDM is that it's not compatible with bitumen, so every bit of boarding must be stripped off & renewed.

Lead is a foolish idea these days, even in apparently inaccessible places. Copper even more so. Many swear by steel, but it gets ugly in time.

In the end we left the old felt in place & used bedsheet, bitumen & sand. Crude for sure, but it was a very quick job costing almost £20 something and last time I looked was still in good nick years later. If/when it deteriorates, more cloth & bitumen is only another £20.

NT
Old July 27th 20, 05:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 26 July 2020 13:36:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a
rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

EPDM & fibreglass are both diyable. The issue we ran into with EPDM is
that it's not compatible with bitumen, so every bit of boarding must be
stripped off & renewed.

Lead is a foolish idea these days, even in apparently inaccessible places.
Copper even more so. Many swear by steel, but it gets ugly in time.

Not when heavily galvanised it doesn’t.

And neither does aluminium.

Old July 27th 20, 09:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Senile Rodent about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
MID:
Old July 27th 20, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been using EDPM,
went on a one day course to learn how to do the corners.

https://www.permaroof.co.uk/rubber-roof-videos

It's easy to repair with its special primer and glues and patches, like when i dropped a slate on it.

Made by firestone , Ultra violet resistant.

Normal shed roofing only lasts a few years.
Lead has to have gaps for expansion where nwater dirt and ice get in.

And while youre at it add loads of insulation under it.

I did OSB3, then kingspan attached with foam, then OSB3, then EDPM

George

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 1:36:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Recent rain has shown my flat roof is leaking. It's part of a conversion
built about 30 years ago. Very nicely built - the correct lie etc and
marine ply decking, and lead flashing. Think it is three layer. Size
approx 5x5 metres.

Any of the modern alternatives better? Membrane or fibreglass? And a rough
idea of relative costs would be nice too.

Access is easy, but it's never walked on etc except for any maintenance.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old July 27th 20, 10:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

I've been using EDPM,

Did my garage/kitchen/porch about 12 years ago.
I did OSB3, then kingspan attached with foam, then OSB3, then EDPM

Why two decks?

Old July 27th 20, 10:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 10:17:00 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
George Miles wrote:

I've been using EDPM,

Did my garage/kitchen/porch about 12 years ago.
I did OSB3, then kingspan attached with foam, then OSB3, then EDPM

Why two decks?

First OSB3 was 18mm for the structure,
on top of beams.
Then a 2 layers of kingspan attached with foam
then thinnner osb3 foamed on it
(no screws or cold bridging,
and makes roof walkable)
then glued EDPM onto it.

[g]
Old July 27th 20, 12:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 10:04, George Miles wrote:
I've been using EDPM,
went on a one day course to learn how to do the corners.

https://www.permaroof.co.uk/rubber-roof-videos

It's easy to repair with its special primer and glues and patches, like when i dropped a slate on it.

Made by firestone , Ultra violet resistant.

I am glad that it is easy to repair as it looks like it might be easily
damaged.

--
Michael Chare