Old July 25th 20, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Old July 25th 20, 01:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 12:11, JohnP wrote:

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really
required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

--
Max Demian
Old July 25th 20, 02:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your
engine to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then
- I would think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and
mineral oils in use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Many makers these days specify the brand and type of oil to be used
exclusively. Last time mine was serviced, they included a top up pack of
the correct oil - a litre in a plastic bag with disposable gloves and
tissues. ;-)

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 25th 20, 02:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 13:26, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/07/2020 12:11, JohnP wrote:

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your
engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really
required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

Never bothered. Used to have an old 850 Mini that did 500 miles to the
pint. Always carried a gallon of Duckhams 20/40W in the boot for on the
fly topups!
Old July 25th 20, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 14:18, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/07/2020 13:26, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/07/2020 12:11, JohnP wrote:

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your
engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I
would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really
required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

Never bothered. Used to have an old 850 Mini that did 500 miles to the
pint. Always carried a gallon of Duckhams 20/40W in the boot for on the
fly topups!

My GF had one that did 50 miles to the quart.../

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Old July 25th 20, 02:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,
Old July 25th 20, 03:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,

Hmm "Lookers", "BL", what a combo!

They all do a variation on the scam...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old July 25th 20, 03:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 14:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,

Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to check
the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil cans from
the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the customer didn't
see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab from them. Castrolite
and XL in those days.
Old July 25th 20, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,

Dealers today still buy oil in bulk. But charge you the retail price per
litre.

Had my car serviced by the local main BMW dealer (spit) now thankfully
closed down. I picked it up from them and looked under the bonnet to check
they'd fixed a leak from the steering - which I'd asked to be done and
been charged for. If they had, they'd not cleaned it up. So checked the
oil too. Well under full on the dipstick. On their level forecourt. I'd
not even started it.

Workshop manager said this was impossible as their equipment measured out
the correct amount for each model. And told me I didn't know how to check
the oil. So got the c**t to show me where I'd gone wrong. Even gave him a
tissue from the box in the car. He obviously loved looking the fool he
was. Then told me I should have asked to have the leak from the steering
cleaned. I hope he lost his job when they closed down.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Old July 25th 20, 05:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 15:20, newshound wrote:
On 25/07/2020 14:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in
whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe
that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness
for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local
Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being
told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of
the garage.

Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to check
the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil cans from
the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the customer didn't
see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab from them. Castrolite
and XL in those days.

Probably filtered sump oil. In the 60s they had bulk oil tanks on the
forecourt and green jugs to transfer the oil to the engine.

--
Max Demian