Old July 29th 20, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

Even a child who has played with a Meccano set would know there is more
load on the cam of a pushrod engine than an OHC design. It is so
blindingly obvious it takes a real fool to dispute it.

Yes. The question is whether it's significant.

Then do some Googling on the subject of oils and pushrod engines.
Even you should manage that.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old July 30th 20, 11:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 08:45:11 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

My dads old Hillman Minx ended up using almost as much oil as petrol!

Brian

I had a Rover 105R with a crankshaft seal leaking, so I always parked it
over a drain.
Old July 30th 20, 10:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2020 20:32, wrote:
On Monday, 27 July 2020 14:16:41 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2020 16:20:19 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/07/2020 14:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:54:42 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oddly, it can be more so on older engines. Pushrod engines have much
higher loads to the camshaft than modern OHC multi valve types. And a
worn cam may not stop it running, but will reduce the performance and
increase fuel usage.

Judging by the number of drivers I've known that failed to notice their
engine was firing on 3 not 4 cylinders, it might not get noticed ....

Dave is of course talking tosh. The load on the camshaft, all other
things being equal, does not change just because there is a pushrod
involved.

not until you use seriously high racing RPM where the pushrod mass has
some effect, anyway.

How many cars are pushrod nowadays?

You might ask Turnip why he's talking crap. But only to be expected. And
at various times he's claimed to be an engineer.

He is. You're not.

NT

Not so long ago he claimed to be out in darkest africa designing a radio
system for the local dictator.

Careful with the old dears now...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 2nd 20, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I was merely trying to explain why is is a good idea to use the correct
oil for your engine - regardless of age. But if you by a banger and throw
it away every year, it doesn't much matter.

Thanks Dave - fair point. We have no intention of throwing away our
bottom of the range, 10yrs old, 4000m per year Panda, and so next time
I change the oil I'll make sure I treat it to 3.8 litres of unmixed
Right Stuff :-)

BTW, on the subject of engineers: we used to have someone here from
"Puma Racing" (I think he was called Dave as well) -- his opinions
would have been useful in this mix!

Cheers
John
Old August 2nd 20, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 07:38, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:48:44 +0100, Another John wrote:

Cheapest was a synthetic oil. I asked the lad there (an about-40 yrs
old lad, spent all his working life in the motor factors, and engines)
about mixing this with the oil I'd got: he said "doesn't matter - just
shove it in, as long as it's the right viscosity".

ISTR: there was once a time where the different additives in engine oils could
be incompatible, and cause it to gel or thicken. Along came the military, and
mandated that all oils be mixable without (drastic) downsides.

(I tried to find my source, but google groups seem more broken than usual,
returning 0 hits for "motor oil mix"...)

Thomas Prufer

Some time ago now. I'm not sure whether it was driven by the military,
or the motor industry, or just the oil industry getting its act together
(given the reputational loss if one was rumoured to be making an
incompatible oil).

My understanding is that all motor oils are either mineral, or semi
synth, or fully synthetic. Synthetics are all group IV,
polyalphaolefins, i.e hydrocarbons and therefore safely miscible with
mineral oils. Having all the base oils compatible means it makes sense
having compatible additives across the brands.

If you need higher performance, e.g. military jets, high performance
compressors, you use Group V base oils which include phosphate esters
and poly alkylene glycols. You *do* have to avoid mixing these with
other commercial mineral oils. I'm not sure how much this is down to
incompatibilities of the base oils or incompatibilities of the additives.

Old August 2nd 20, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I was merely trying to explain why is is a good idea to use the correct
oil for your engine - regardless of age. But if you by a banger and throw
it away every year, it doesn't much matter.

Thanks Dave - fair point. We have no intention of throwing away our
bottom of the range, 10yrs old, 4000m per year Panda, and so next time
I change the oil I'll make sure I treat it to 3.8 litres of unmixed
Right Stuff :-)

BTW, on the subject of engineers: we used to have someone here from
"Puma Racing" (I think he was called Dave as well) -- his opinions
would have been useful in this mix!

Dave Baker I believe. Doesn’t post much on Usenet these days. I did see one
from him on uk.rec.cars.maintenance some months ago.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 2nd 20, 03:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another John wrote:
BTW, on the subject of engineers: we used to have someone here from
"Puma Racing" (I think he was called Dave as well) -- his opinions
would have been useful in this mix!

Yes - Dave Baker. A true expert I learned a lot from. And a very nice man.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.