Old July 25th 20, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

On 25/07/2020 14:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,

remember that rip off...didn't come from tins with that tin foil rip off
strip anyway...

Old July 25th 20, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 15:20, newshound wrote:
On 25/07/2020 14:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in
whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe
that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness
for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local
Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being
told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of
the garage.

Richard
,

Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to check
the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil cans from
the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the customer didn't
see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab from them. Castrolite
and XL in those days.

loved that tear off strip
Old July 25th 20, 06:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to
check the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil
cans from the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the
customer didn't see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab
from them. Castrolite and XL in those days.

Probably filtered sump oil.

You'd need some filtration to make used oil look clean again. Although it
can be done in a factory. Many small garages used old sump oil to heat the
workshop in the winter.

In the 60s they had bulk oil tanks on the
forecourt and green jugs to transfer the oil to the engine.

Yes - a cabinet containing the oil. And a hand pump to get it to the jug.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 25th 20, 07:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 14:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came out of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard
,

All garages used to to that in the days when most cars used the same
type of oil. Local Citroen /peugeot dealer had oil pipes delivering
from a bulk tank round the back, to individual nozzle guns at each
of the 4-post ramps, 6 of them I seem to recollect.

Now almost every model seems to have its own special oil code.

These days they all seems to be running the 'oil flush treatment'
racket, where this wording is printed on the invoice and billed
at anything from 9.99 to 17.99 plus VAT.
Old July 25th 20, 08:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I really think we need to know if it is Synthetic, Semi, or mineral. Not
too bothered about the brand - or I would take what I wanted to the garage.

Old July 26th 20, 08:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes well, the smell and smoke from the older cars like the ones described
could not under any circumstances to be said to be clean and green. Mind you
surprised people have not banned 2 stroke engines as used in some garden
equipment and el cheapo outboard motors as they check out a heap of blue
smellyness. When I was young I liked the smell. weird.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 14:20:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 25/07/2020 14:18, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/07/2020 13:26, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/07/2020 12:11, JohnP wrote:

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your
engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I
would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils
in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really
required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

Never bothered. Used to have an old 850 Mini that did 500 miles to the
pint. Always carried a gallon of Duckhams 20/40W in the boot for on the
fly topups!

My GF had one that did 50 miles to the quart.../

When I was a kid in the 1950's my father regularly bought half a pint
of oil from the local garage when getting petrol. The garage forecourt
had a little row of graduated oil-pouring cans standing by the pumps
just for that purpose.

--

Chris

Old July 26th 20, 09:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to
check the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil
cans from the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the
customer didn't see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab
from them. Castrolite and XL in those days.

Probably filtered sump oil.

You'd need some filtration to make used oil look clean again. Although it
can be done in a factory. Many small garages used old sump oil to heat the
workshop in the winter.

Exactly, no chance of that in a workshop of those days.

I still find it mildly astonishing that you can still see through the
oil in my Jazz after a year.
Old July 26th 20, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 20:25, JohnP wrote:
I really think we need to know if it is Synthetic, Semi, or mineral. Not
too bothered about the brand - or I would take what I wanted to the garage.

indeed
Old July 26th 20, 01:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

We have a 7-yr-old Panda Eco (does a fantastic job as "the shopping
trolley").

In the recent (and ongoing) unpleasantness it was due a service, but our
garage had shut up shop. I suddenly realised that _this_ was _one_
thing I could DIY on a car these days.

Long story short: I looked at the 3 or 4 part-full oil bottles I had
had in the garage for umpteen years, and they came, together, to about a
litre less than I needed (of 10/40 oil). So I went to our (magnificent)
local motor factors and reviewed the litre bottles that they had.

Cheapest was a synthetic oil. I asked the lad there (an about-40 yrs
old lad, spent all his working life in the motor factors, and engines)
about mixing this with the oil I'd got: he said "doesn't matter - just
shove it in, as long as it's the right viscosity".

So I did. The Panda hasn't complained yet. (It does about 4000m per
year btw).

My 2p
John