Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default KVM switch.

My old setup at this workstation was this RISCOS machine and a Win7 one
sharing monitor keyboard and mouse. Video is DVI-d and keyboard etc PS2.
The feed from the KVM to monitor (DVI-d) was split to DVI-d and HDMI, to
allow the TV above the workbench to display circuit etc diagrams. All
worked just as I wanted.

Decided it was time to 'upgrade' to Win10. Which I'm actually quite happy
with.

Old PC motherboard wouldn't take Win10, so bought a new expensive ATX
bundle. Hoping it would give me another 10 years or so.

Its onboard video out is HDMI. The DVI-d graphics card from the old MB
won't work with the new MB. A passive HDMI to DVI-d lead didn't work -
even direct to the monitor.

Ordered up an active HDMI to DVI-d converter. That does work direct to the
monitor and through the KVM switch - but not with the DVI to DVI/HDMI
splitter (for the TV) in place.

Seems to be one step forward, one back.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Seems to be one step forward, one back.

You're looking backwards trying to keep everything DVI compatible,
rather than biting the bullet and moving forwards to HDMI/DP.

A few years back I moved from 4xDVI/PS2 DVI kvm and VGA/DVI monitor to a
2xDP/USB kvm and HDMI/DP monitor ... all works though for the odd
occasion I need to hookup an old VGA computer I have an active VGA to
HDMI soap on a rope.

Not sure if your ARM box could take USB keyboard and mouse, or you'd
need a PS/2 adapter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm thinking your motherboard has multiple video ports and is defaulting
to some other output port, if your HDMI TV is not exactly autodetected,
by either the BIOS or Window 10.

There may be BIOS options that might help make the default stay as HDMI.

Or it may be Windows 10, just being helpful - moving outputs that it
again thinks aren't in use.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
You're looking backwards trying to keep everything DVI compatible,
rather than biting the bullet and moving forwards to HDMI/DP.

I went from a single PC to a double PC setup last year, and went for a
HDMI KVM so that I didn't have to get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Ever since then I've had a problem with receiving most of the TV
channels that I get via Freeview (the BBC and ITV channels along with 4
and 5 are OK, as are the DAB radio channels, everything else is badly
broken up) when ever I have either PC running.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I went from a single PC to a double PC setup last year, and went for a
HDMI KVM so that I didn't have to get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Ever since then I've had a problem with receiving most of the TV
channels that I get via Freeview

HDMI is sometimes known to interfere at UHF frequencies (depending on
resolution and pixel clock) how close is the KVM to any part of your TV
wiring?

I've never seen it from DP despite having a tuner card in one of the KVM
connected PCs and DP using even higher frequencies in the UHF range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Seems to be one step forward, one back.

You're looking backwards trying to keep everything DVI compatible,
rather than biting the bullet and moving forwards to HDMI/DP.

I've already spent a fortune on a new MB. Add in a new monitor, KVM and
the price increases - a lot. And this computer doesn't have the option of
an HDMI output anyway.

It may be difficult for some to understand, but my previous setup worked
perfectly for what I wanted.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
You're looking backwards trying to keep everything DVI compatible,
rather than biting the bullet and moving forwards to HDMI/DP.

I went from a single PC to a double PC setup last year, and went for a
HDMI KVM so that I didn't have to get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Ever since then I've had a problem with receiving most of the TV
channels that I get via Freeview (the BBC and ITV channels along with 4
and 5 are OK, as are the DAB radio channels, everything else is badly
broken up) when ever I have either PC running.

Adrian

What I would try is a separate HDMI switch from the actual KVM switch.
This sounds like a nuisance, but most of them will switch to whichever
output is most recently active so provided the PC you have just switched
to had a blank screen before you switched the KVM it will not need the
button pressing on the HDMI switch as well. Be sure to get a 4k, UHD
HDCP 2.2 rated one and it will probably switch the HDMI signals intact.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 11:35:15, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I found KVM switches unreliable where the DDC/EDID functions would clash
and so revert to 640x480.

So I moved on to using "remote desktop" and haven't looked back. It also
means you don't have to have the machines co-located.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 12:59:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

That depends on how smart the KVM switch is. An old one would join the
DDC channels together. I'm not sure if graphic card can detect can
detect loads on their LVDS outputs and turn them off accordingly.

I don't know anyone who still uses KVM switches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 15:15, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I do, but it's a backup.

Even though it's right in front of me to switch between a possible eight
machines, I prefer to use RDP sessions. People who do gaming or video
editing wouldn't.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Adrian wrote:

I went from a single PC to a double PC setup last year, and went for
a HDMI KVM so that I didn't have to get a second
monitor/keyboard/mouse. Ever since then I've had a problem with
receiving most of the TV channels that I get via Freeview

HDMI is sometimes known to interfere at UHF frequencies (depending on
resolution and pixel clock) how close is the KVM to any part of your TV
wiring?

I've never seen it from DP despite having a tuner card in one of the
KVM connected PCs and DP using even higher frequencies in the UHF range.

Thanks for the follow up.

The KVM is about 30" from the trunk that the coax runs through, about
48" from the centre of the TV, and about 80" from the centre of the PVR.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Adrian wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
[...]

Thanks.

I've just looked that up, and it seems to be something that is intended
for TVs, whereas I'm using my KVM purely for PC - monitor HDMI
connectivity. Are we talking at cross purposes, or is that the market
is overwhelmingly for TVs, but it works just as well for PC displays ?.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Andy,

Whilst these are not cheap, I a box similar to this for running an Atari
into my HDMI TV with no SCART:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313125627100

but I ended up using it between my BT YouView box (HDMI out) and my TV
HDMI In because the TV was not happy with HDMI from the YouView box.
Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
I've just looked that up, and it seems to be something that is intended
for TVs, whereas I'm using my KVM purely for PC - monitor HDMI
connectivity. Are we talking at cross purposes, or is that the market
is overwhelmingly for TVs, but it works just as well for PC displays ?.

I was told it stood for keyboard, video, mouse. Can be VGA, DVI, HDMI, USB
and PS2 - with most combinations.

Being basically a switch, no reason not to use it how you want. With mine,
it changes sources via the keyboard. Although can be switched manually too.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Wade wrote:
but I ended up using it between my BT YouView box (HDMI out) and my TV
HDMI In because the TV was not happy with HDMI from the YouView box.
Dave

TVs can be very fussy about the resolutions etc PCs use.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Adrian wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
[...]

Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to
transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch
copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was
that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high
resolution video without loss.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to
transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch
copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was
that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high
resolution video without loss.

Thanks.

Not sure if point 1 has been a problem so far (I don't think so),
regarding point 2, I don't think that has been a problem either. Of
course, both of these points could alter in the future.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to
transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch
copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was
that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high
resolution video without loss.

My ATEN DVI KVM seems perfectly happy at the maximum resolution this DVI
monitor will take.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:55:17 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to
transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch
copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was
that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high
resolution video without loss.

My ATEN DVI KVM seems perfectly happy at the maximum resolution this DVI
monitor will take.

I do like ATEN KVMs. I have four here (2, 2, 4, and 8 port). Rock solid
on unconnected reboots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I do like ATEN KVMs. I have four here

I have a 4 port DVI and a 2 port DP, they do actually release firmware
fixes for many years,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Wade wrote:
but I ended up using it between my BT YouView box (HDMI out) and my TV
HDMI In because the TV was not happy with HDMI from the YouView box.
Dave

TVs can be very fussy about the resolutions etc PCs use.

But YouView HDMI not working into a HDMI TV sounds like a major failing
of the YouView box.

DW, Which model number is it?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to
transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch
copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was
that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high
resolution video without loss.

My ATEN DVI KVM seems perfectly happy at the maximum resolution this DVI
monitor will take.

I do like ATEN KVMs. I have four here (2, 2, 4, and 8 port). Rock solid
on unconnected reboots.

Yup - they are pricey, but seem much better made than others.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
David Wade wrote:
but I ended up using it between my BT YouView box (HDMI out) and my TV
HDMI In because the TV was not happy with HDMI from the YouView box.
Dave

TVs can be very fussy about the resolutions etc PCs use.

But YouView HDMI not working into a HDMI TV sounds like a major failing
of the YouView box.

DW, Which model number is it?

But TVs have strange dining habits.

Some of the ports would be defined, such that they
only work with HD (1920x1080) or SD (1280x720) perhaps.
These are ports intended to be connected to set-top DVD players,
set-top tuner boxes, maybe the HDMI output of a camcorder.

Whereas when the user manual defines a single "PC Input Port",
that's a multisync port and does 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768,
1440x900, and all sorts of other "usual" values.

One other weirdness, is the "PC Input Port" at one time,
absolutely refused to run native. If the panel was 1920x1080,
the "PC Input Port" resolutions might go 1280x1024, 1440x900,
1600x1200 and magically, 1920x1080 was *not* supported. It
took later large TV sets before, finally, native resolution
was supported on "PC Input Port", and then you could read
text on the screen.

If you plugged your set-top BluRay player into the PC Input Port,
it might well give a black screen. And it's set up that way,
just to be perverse. There's no reasoning with these choices
they make.

Paul

KVM switch Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 23 September 5th 09 12:20 AM
Compaq/Avocent KVM switch dead Adam Nielsen Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 06 11:27 AM
KVM switch circuit diagram news.new Electronics Repair 1 April 7th 05 02:36 AM
KVM Switch JV Electronics 0 October 3rd 04 08:13 PM
KVM switch foolinyu Electronics Repair 1 October 3rd 04 04:39 AM