Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 10 funny.

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a lot of
wasted replies ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 15:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a lot of
wasted replies ...

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options, for example "Start". How can i remove
the duplications please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options

If you look in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ WinX\Group2\

where USERNAME is you, do you see the same duplicate shortcuts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a lot
of wasted replies ...

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options, for example "Start". How can i remove
the duplications please?

Take your bifocals off ? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 15:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Broadback wrote:

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options

If you look in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ WinX\Group2\

where USERNAME is you, do you see the same duplicate shortcuts?

+1

However note that the AppData folder is often hidden - so if you type /
paste the full path into file explorer's address bar it will go there,
however if you look in the USERNAME folder it might not show up.

(FWIW, As a shortcut, holding the windows key and hitting E will open a
new explorer window)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing
them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a lot
of wasted replies ...

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options, for example "Start". How can i remove
the duplications please?

Take your bifocals off ? :-)

I am sorry to say that
"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \WinX\Group2\" ius not
found. :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 16:23, Broadback wrote:

I am sorry to say that

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \WinX\Group2\" ius not
found. :-(

Can I just check something? Is the above what you typed into file
explorer, exactly like that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

I am sorry to say that
"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \WinX\Group2\" ius not
found. :-(

see John's reply ...

If you try to navigate there one folder at a time the appdata folder
probably won't show up, try pasting in

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2\

and it should take you straight there
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing
them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a
lot of wasted replies ...
When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options, for example "Start". How can i
remove the duplications please?

Take your bifocals off ? :-)

I am sorry to say that

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \WinX\Group2\" ius not
found. :-(

Did you remember to replace USERNAME with *your* login user name?

So say your login account was called John, you would have something like:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

If in doubt, start by looking in C:\Users

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes one cause of this is a system restore. It does not always happen, but
can. Its usually only shortcuts that are duplicated really, unless you have
some other issues as well. It used to happen in Windows 7 as well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

My windows 10 has suddenly developed duplicity. It has double file
explorer, task manager amongst others. Is there anyway of removing them?

A better explanation, or probably a screenshot is going to save a lot of
wasted replies ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

When I right click on Start to look at file explorer I get double
displays of most of the options

If you look in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ WinX\Group2\

where USERNAME is you, do you see the same duplicate shortcuts?

No Andy, there are no duplicates there. Thank you all for your helpful
replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ WinX\Group2\

there are no duplicates there.

I'm not sure if there's still an equivalent of the old "All Users"
folder that gets merged with your own?

Maybe search for other folders called "Group2" anywhere on the machine,
don't do anything rash if you find any though ...