Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Providing power for built in Microwave

I need to provide a power connection for a built in microwave oven going into the same tower unit housing the conventional oven is in. The microwave oven will require a FSU which will be within the tower unit. Can I wire this from the oven supply connection just below or as a spur off the kitchen ring. If I do the first option does the connecting cable need to be the same as the supply? For the second option would I need a separate switch outside the tower unit? Any other gotchas?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 11:55:15 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I need to provide a power connection for a built in microwave oven going into the same tower unit housing the conventional oven is in. The microwave oven will require a FSU which will be within the tower unit. Can I wire this from the oven supply connection just below or as a spur off the kitchen ring. If I do the first option does the connecting cable need to be the same as the supply? For the second option would I need a separate switch outside the tower unit? Any other gotchas?

Richard

If powering from oven circuit, your total current consumption after diversity is applied must be within the capability of cable & MCB/RCBO. If powering from a ring socket circuit this is not an issue.
In both cases your cable to the SFCU only need be rated to 13A, 2.5mm in practice. If you had a socket there instead - more convenient - the cable feeding it needs to be 2.5mm or bigger.

NT