Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Rod 9mm dia

I have a toilet seat and cover that are connected by a rod running
through them. It is about six inches, say 15cm long.

The original flexible plastic rod broke after 30 years. Th nearest
replacement that I could find was acrylic rod.

I have had two so far but they crack after about a year.

I would consider a stainless steel rod if I could get one of those
dimensions (150mm by 9mm dia) but would prefer some kind of flexible
plastic.

Can anyone recommend a source?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 13:18, F Murtz wrote:
On 22/7/20 9:35 pm, Pinnerite wrote:
I have a toilet seat and cover that are connected by a rod running
through them. It is about six inches, say 15cm long.

The original flexible plastic rod broke after 30 years. Th nearest
replacement that I could find was acrylic rod.

I have had two so far but they crack after about a year.

I would consider a stainless steel rod if I could get one of those
dimensions (150mm by 9mm dia) but would prefer some kind of flexible
plastic.

Can anyone recommend a source?

TIA

Nylon or PTFE rod.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nylon-Opaqu...dp/B00EVD1XCG/

3/8" is 9.525mm

12" is 304mm

--
€śThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€ť

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ă* M. Claparede, Professeur de
ThĂ©ologie Ă* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 12:35, Pinnerite wrote:
I have a toilet seat and cover that are connected by a rod running
through them. It is about six inches, say 15cm long.

The original flexible plastic rod broke after 30 years. Th nearest
replacement that I could find was acrylic rod.

Acrylic isn't a load bearing material - too brittle.

I have had two so far but they crack after about a year.

I would consider a stainless steel rod if I could get one of those
dimensions (150mm by 9mm dia) but would prefer some kind of flexible
plastic.

Can anyone recommend a source?

Nylon rod is a reasonable engineering plastic for that sort of thing.
Offcut lengths available on eBay. You may be out of luck though 9mm is
not a popular size most stock bar is 8mm or 10mm.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304-Stain...AOSwAQxevSj M

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 15:01, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 22/07/2020 12:35, Pinnerite wrote:
I have a toilet seat and cover that are connected by a rod running
through them. It is about six inches, say 15cm long.

The original flexible plastic rod broke after 30 years. Th nearest
replacement that I could find was acrylic rod.

I have had two so far but they crack after about a year.

I would consider a stainless steel rod if I could get one of those
dimensions (150mm by 9mm dia) but would prefer some kind of flexible
plastic.

Can anyone recommend a source?

TIA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304-Stain...AOSwAQxevSj M

That was the most helpful reply. Thank you.