Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble Dryer Trips RCD

I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:54:04 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

That last bit suggests damp inside the unit somewhere, bit you would
have thought that it would trigger at the beginning of the cycle,
rather than at the end?

Resetting the RCD is fine.

So it's an intermittent / associated with a particular phase in the
machines cycle.

I'm assuming that a condenser - dryer might be at it's dampest near
the end of it's cycle, most water in the catch reservoir (if it's that
type)? Water leaking out of that (from a small split) when pumping?
(Aren't there some condenser - dryers that can discharge their
condensate into a drain like a WM?).

Any idea of the cause/solution,

The only machine tripping I have had was the WM but that was as soon
as you powered it up and because of carbon brush deposits built up
around the motor.

and safety issues?

BeKo tumble dryer you say ... ? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 11:54, RJH wrote:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

We had the same problem with our Beko last November, where it tripped at
the end of the cycle when it was cooling down. I traced the problem to
the interference filter. This can be found as the first component after
the mains lead enters the tumble drier, but comes /before/ the mains
switch, so even turning the switch off at the end of the cycle did not
prevent the RCD tripping.

I purchased a new filter and fitted it, which immediately solved the RCD
tripping problem. Filter obtained from Spares-2-Go via Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LZWBAWO/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1
The appearance of the filter might differ from what you have or need as
your model Beko might be different from mine.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jul 2020 at 13:26:25 BST, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

On 22/07/2020 11:54, RJH wrote:
[...]

Smashing, thanks, I'll take a look.
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Very droll :-)

It's supposedly 'safe' in a general sense. At the end of the cycle it seems,
if anything, at its driest. Open it up mid-cycle and a cloud of steam comes
out. Anyhoo, I'll follow up on Jeff's suggestion first.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 11:54:07 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

Tripping at switchoff happens if the element (or other leaky bit) has its neutral switched off before its live. Element is most likely - test its insulation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 22:15:16 UTC+1, wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Wednesday :
Tripping at switchoff happens if the element (or other leaky bit) has its
neutral switched off before its live. Element is most likely - test its
insulation.

That may need a meggar to be certain to find the point of leakage.

A lot of such faults can be picked up with just a multimeter on resistance range. If not the mains itself can provide the HV - only suitable for folks that can do that safely of course. A megger is quicker/easier, but not actually needed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jul 2020 at 21:37:00 BST, "
wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 11:54:07 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and
only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

Tripping at switchoff happens if the element (or other leaky bit) has its
neutral switched off before its live. Element is most likely - test its
insulation.

I'll take a look when I open it up - thanks.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These days Beko are not the dogs they used to be.I'd suspect water or some
kind of motor issue myself.
Can you measure anything if you whip out the plug and test the leakage
between the pins before then after the trip
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Anything else operating on that circuit when it happens?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems to
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

Static discharge at end of drying cycle,
as drum rotates and static filled clothes
discharge to drum ?

Add fabric sheet and retest on next load.
The fabric sheet being a depleter of static charge.

I stopped using fabric sheets here some years
ago, and there is *plenty* of static when I
take out a load now :-)

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul 2020 at 08:07:19 BST, "Jimk" wrote:

RJH Wrote in message:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and
only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Anything else operating on that circuit when it happens?

Lots of stuff plugged in and on standby (that one RCD covers about 50
sockets), but nothing major operating at the time of the trip, from memory.
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul 2020 at 10:08:13 BST, "Paul" wrote:

RJH wrote:
I've a Beko condensing tumble dryer that trips the socket circuit RCD
(labelled 80A 30mA) only under certain circumstances - always at what seems
be the end of a cycle (in the sense that the clothes are always dry), and
only
after it hasn't been used in a while (like at the moment, when most drying is
done on the line).

Resetting the RCD is fine.

Any idea of the cause/solution, and safety issues?

Static discharge at end of drying cycle,
as drum rotates and static filled clothes
discharge to drum ?

Add fabric sheet and retest on next load.
The fabric sheet being a depleter of static charge.

I stopped using fabric sheets here some years
ago, and there is *plenty* of static when I
take out a load now :-)

Thanks, I did think that, but there's no noticeable static. And I don't like
perfumed clothes.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul 2020 at 07:55:32 BST, ""Brian Gaff \" Sofa\)"
wrote:

I would - if I knew what measurement to use. I've only got a basic 5 quid
multimeter - which pretty much does me for the one thing I do understand - the
continuity buzzer :-)

These days Beko are not the dogs they used to be.I'd suspect water or some
kind of motor issue myself.
Can you measure anything if you whip out the plug and test the leakage
between the pins before then after the trip
Brian

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 03:13:06 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/07/2020 22:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Wednesday :

Tripping at switchoff happens if the element (or other leaky bit) has
its neutral switched off before its live. Element is most likely -
test its insulation.

That may need a meggar to be certain to find the point of leakage.

I've found that a few kohms is enough to trip. Not megohms.

30mA at 240v implies 80k ohms. So as long as you cann detcet less than
that, you are OK

In my case a motors showed around 3kohm with some sort of internal
winding to armature short

Insulation breakdown tends to be very nonlinear with voltage. Multimeters pick up a lot of failures but not all.

NT

Tumble dryer - vent kit/indoor condensor vs condensor tumble dryer? Scott UK diy 0 October 20th 08 08:10 AM
Tumble Dryer Tripping RCD Tut UK diy 10 October 3rd 06 12:49 PM
Comsumer unit RCD trips on non-RCD protected circuit activity ian UK diy 4 April 25th 06 08:59 PM
RCD - all MCBs off (no L) + no N-output from RCD connected (no N) = still trips instantly dorothy UK diy 11 November 3rd 04 11:15 PM
RCD trips while working on dead circuit Bob Mannix UK diy 4 September 9th 03 09:31 AM