Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Try putting a -4 in the command

ping -4 192.168.1.33

if that works, then blame iPv6.

iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

Nevertheless, add it the list of random things to try, just in case ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:13:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I allocated fixed IP addresses to the things I wanted to, below the DCHP
range. Then in the router used the 'always use this address'

And it let you *choose* the address?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
But I'd say it's a red herring.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

Only network geeks can use the diagnostics, understand the output and
fix the problem. The rest are wannabes, born somewhere to the left of
us, littering the internet with junk posts guaranteed to confuse. It's
hopeless.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see
another, but not the other way. Some show another on the network,
but aren't allowed access.
"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.
You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Try putting a -4 in the command

ping -4 192.168.1.33

if that works, then blame iPv6.

iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

There are a number of recipes on the web for disabling
IPV6, some of which are wrong. There is a Microsoft webpage
warning about this.

The machine you're trying to ping, does not have to
answer if all of ICMP is disabled. The email machine
of my ISP, has ICMP disabled. It's not always a firewall
that stops it. The foreign host might simply not be listening
due to internal settings. I can't ping the ISP Email server.

I disable IPV6 here, by using an IPV4-only router. If a
machine wanted to, it could use Teredo Tunneling to
push IPV6 through the IPV4 router. But at least the IPV4
router prevents the "chatty bits" of IPV6 through.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

But homegroups no longer exist in supported versions of windows.

I disable IPV6 here, by using an IPV4-only router. If a
machine wanted to, it could use Teredo Tunneling to
push IPV6 through the IPV4 router.

Indeed that is necessary for Windows Remote Assistance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

I allocated fixed IP addresses to the things I wanted to, below the DCHP
range. Then in the router used the 'always use this address'

And it let you *choose* the address?

No. It shows you the existing IP address for that device. And gives you
the option to 'always use this IP address'. But since it's already fixed,
perhaps not needed. But at the same time you can change the name the
router calls it (like Android Phone (with a code after that) to 'My
mobile' or whatever. Handy for the things that don't tell you what they
are. If you know their MAC address. The list shows everything that has
ever been connected to the LAN. Highlighted if active.

--
*I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

Win10 doesn't do Homegroups. Workgroup only.

However I did load Win7 on the machine which has multi-boot, and
presumably IPV6 still enabled, and on the old Homegroup system. It talked
just fine to other Win10 machines, all of which had IPV6 disabled.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

But homegroups no longer exist in supported versions of windows.

I disable IPV6 here, by using an IPV4-only router. If a
machine wanted to, it could use Teredo Tunneling to
push IPV6 through the IPV4 router.

Indeed that is necessary for Windows Remote Assistance.

Since I've been following lots of 'advice' (from Google, etc) on my
problem, I might well reverse those that haven't solved it. And enabling
IPV6 again is one of the easier ones.

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

Win10 doesn't do Homegroups. Workgroup only.

However I did load Win7 on the machine which has multi-boot, and
presumably IPV6 still enabled, and on the old Homegroup system. It talked
just fine to other Win10 machines, all of which had IPV6 disabled.

I don't use Homegroups, but picked this up while thread-browsing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-3b75f212d23a

Somebody thinks there is a dependency. It doesn't
make a lot of sense particularly.

Windows 10 did have Homegroups, but they've been deprecated.
(A certain release removed Homegroup support.)

The services for Homegroups, at least a couple, are still
there. I didn't check for all of them. I was just surprised
they weren't removed.

Does it mean a grandfathered Homegroup could work ? Dunno.
Not enough feature-kill evident to prevent it.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I've assigned static addresses to the things I want to talk to one
another, including the range extender, below 64. And reserved those IP
addresses in the router.

When you say "reserved" do you mean you've set an exclusion for
addresses xx.yy.zz.1 to .64 in the router's DHCP scope, or do you mean
you've associated every item's MAC address to the IP address you want it
to have? The latter is what I meant, then you don't have to give the
individual equipment static addresses, you can leave them on automatic
and the router will look up their MAC and always give them the same IP
addr.

My BT router only seems to give the option of reserving an IP address to
an item it has seen. So has its MAC address.
The devices page shows everything that has been in use. Highlighted if
active at the moment. You click on the device and a page opens which
allows you to rename it and always use (or not) the IP address given.

You've not said what model BT router you have, then people can check if
the router can do that.

It has a pretty full A-Z index. Think it is a home hub 6 - originally
supplied when FTC arrived here, so not the latest model.

But I'd say it's a red herring.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.
None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Yes you can if you start up a Command prompt window.....

AngryIPscanner is also a useful IP scanning tool...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
No Name wrote:
You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Yes you can if you start up a Command prompt window.....

AngryIPscanner is also a useful IP scanning tool...

There are ways of doing it. But not with your browser as of old.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Everything pretty well sorted now.

Exception is a few years old ACER notebook running Win7 starter. Only gets
used mobile with MegaSquirt, and it's just fine for that. It sees all
computers on the network and can talk to them. But none could talk to it.
It shown in the network, but non can connect to it, but it can to them.

Changed its name. Everything sorted. Change it back to the original name.
Blocked on all. No idea why. So just gave it a new name.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Win Win Win Win...... * Its my Pleasure * Home Repair 0 February 20th 08 06:55 AM
Win-win idea Alwen Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 08:15 PM
A win-win idea Alwen Metalworking 0 December 7th 05 03:30 PM
A win-win idea Alwen Woodworking 3 December 7th 05 12:24 AM
A win-win all the way around!! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 0 September 6th 04 10:57 PM