Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So what's wrong with 18mm spanners?

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2020 01:22:40, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

Didn't you have an 11/16"? If loose it may fit.

I have come across a few 18mm bolts on Japanese cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2020 01:44, Fredxx wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22:40, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

Didn't you have an 11/16"? If loose it may fit.

I have come across a few 18mm bolts on Japanese cars.

ISTR I have an old socket set somewhere with some AF sockets. I might
have to see if I can find it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 01:22:41 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

Like 9mm Allen keys. They exist but not present in many sets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

An M12 nut is *supposed to be* 19mm across the flats, don't see why a
flanged nut should be different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:24:17 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Like 9mm Allen keys. They exist but not present in many sets.

And 9 mm SDS and to a lesser extent ordinary masonary drills.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No notice enclosed " for your convenience this set does not include an 18mm option"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 09:28:58 UTC+1, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

An M12 nut is *supposed to be* 19mm across the flats, don't see why a
flanged nut should be different?

This link suggests that the ISO standard is 18mm:

https://amesweb.info/Fasteners/Nut/M...ons-Chart.aspx

This link suggests that the ISO standard is, as above, 18mm, but the DIN standard is 19mm.

https://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/techn...omparison.html

As does Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2020 09:24, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 18 July 2020 01:22:41 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

Like 9mm Allen keys. They exist but not present in many sets.

I recently had to buy an 11mm Allen key. Thanks to the internet they are
not to difficult to get, but in the past I saw the solution was to file
down the next size up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:22:40 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

I've got a Powerfix (Lidl) set of combination spanners here, and that does
include 18mm.

Just checked my 'car' toolbox too, and there's a Halfords pro combination
18mm in that too. And in the socket set.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
wrote:

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

I've got a Powerfix (Lidl) set of combination spanners here, and that does
include 18mm.

Just checked my 'car' toolbox too, and there's a Halfords pro combination
18mm in that too. And in the socket set.

+1 Halfords Pro includes 18mm
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

In comparative ignorance here, but isn't 18mm 3/8" Whit and/or 7/16"
BSF? I have sets of Whit and BSF spanners from the days of tinkering
with my MG TC.

Isn't it 11 or 12 mm that is often missing from some sets, I suspect
there is a preferred set of sizes in a standard somewhere.

Also quite a lot of Allen key sets are missing 7mm, which is common on
brake calipers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

In comparative ignorance here, but isn't 18mm 3/8" Whit and/or 7/16"
BSF? I have sets of Whit and BSF spanners from the days of tinkering
with my MG TC.

Isn't it 11 or 12 mm that is often missing from some sets, I suspect
there is a preferred set of sizes in a standard somewhere.

12mm is missing from many, and again common on Japanese cars.

Also quite a lot of Allen key sets are missing 7mm, which is common on
brake calipers.

Yes, as I have found out to my cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 19/07/2020 09:40, newshound wrote:

Isn't it 11 or 12 mm that is often missing from some sets, I suspect
there is a preferred set of sizes in a standard somewhere.

10, 13, 17, 19, 22

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 July 2020 09:42:48 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Mike

My fairly modest Hilka 1/4" small socket set has 4 to 13 - but no 12 - in standard sockets and 6 to 12 in deep sockets.

Just have to hope I don't need a deep socket for a 13 or a standard socket for a 12 - but at least it does have both.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 July 2020 09:42:48 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included
with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Mike

My fairly modest Hilka 1/4" small socket set has 4 to 13 - but no 12 -
in standard sockets and 6 to 12 in deep sockets.

Just have to hope I don't need a deep socket for a 13 or a standard socket
for a 12 - but at least it does have both.

I always wonder at the 'missing' 12 or 13 mm spanners as both sizes
are very common, in fact it seems quite common to have 12mm bolts with
13mm nuts which can be very confusing sometimes.

I have so many socket sets around that I think I can find every mm
size from 4 (or even less) up to something well past 30. I just
needed a 27mm (for removing FJR1300 rear wheel - puncture!) and I have
a 3/4" drive set with that. I have got some 46mm spanners and
sockets, for the tractor. With the addition of AF spanners (of which
I have a multiplicity) I can fit most nuts. (Hmm, is there a double
entendre there?)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 July 2020 10:33:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

I recently bought an inexpensive set of Forstner bits going from 14 to, IIRC, 25, then a few larger ones. Total of 16. A large part of the reason was that all my other big hole bits (spade and Forstner) were both pretty crap and I always ended up needing sizes that were not included in sets. For example, a current Bosch spade bit set has 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28 and 32mm (and listed at £17.99 from Screwfix) - in my book, stupid gaps.

For a particular purpose, I'd bought one fairly cheap eBay 24mm Forstner bit and it worked very well. Hence, pushing the boat out.

For less than £12 they are actually quite good. Sharp and clean cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 09:42, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod,
and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Which to be fair, all of mine are! Perhaps one day I should treat myself
to a decent set.

Any recommendations?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/07/2020 09:42, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded
rod, and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Which to be fair, all of mine are! Perhaps one day I should treat myself
to a decent set.

Any recommendations?

My spanners are mostly Britool or Elora and I have never broken one.
Most professional mechanics seem to favour Snap-on these days.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 2:09:15 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 21/07/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/07/2020 09:42, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2020 01:22, John Rumm wrote:
So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded
rod, and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my
socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set
included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Which to be fair, all of mine are! Perhaps one day I should treat myself
to a decent set.

Any recommendations?

My spanners are mostly Britool or Elora and I have never broken one.
Most professional mechanics seem to favour Snap-on these days.

Mike

Snap on are dreadfully over priced.They're flogged by reps to apprentices with the carrot of paying by instalments. Prefer Teng for 'Good'ones but am happy with el cheapo 24mm and over when I will have only occasional use.

I do have one snap on 14mm spanner left in the engine compartment after a service

box spanners The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 January 8th 07 10:25 PM
box spanners Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 0 January 8th 07 09:32 PM
Adjustable Spanners david lang UK diy 22 January 8th 06 08:59 PM
rachet spanners [email protected] UK diy 64 October 14th 05 01:20 PM
Massive spanners Markus Splenius UK diy 9 January 8th 05 06:54 AM