Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electric garage shutter gubbed

On 16/07/2020 19:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated the question :
but what is the looks like a slide lock half way up in the tv adverts...

Mine doesn't have one, so I don't know what it is. My door has a sort of
series of nylon chain links, drive the chain over centre and it forms
the locking mechanism - try to lift the door and you would be pushing
against the over centre 'chain'.

The drive motor is a 24v ac tubular motor and gearbox, that includes
meachanical limit switches, for for going up, one for going doing and
they are very precise.

The control system includes a maximum run timer and a maximum current
sensor - this last is what your problem is, it is set too low.

or too high because as I said I can hang on the door and stop it and it
restarts when I let go .....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 07:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 22:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
it's on the outside....

just went out and sprayed the tracks with wd40 and it opened so I
took the car out put the door back down thinking I could cancel the
man...came back wouldn't go up on the remote......went inside gave
the door a rattle and pushed the button on the unit it went up
...seems to be some kind of intermitant so not cancelling the
man...and it's not a faulty rmote either...

I'll go and do a video right now.....probably work ok if I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbePThXXPyA

Jim - It is pretty much the same as my door, except my door is inside
yours on the outside. Even the manual winder is on the same end of the
mechanism - the left looking at the roll and the motor is on the left.

My best guess is that it was sticking in the tracks, drawing too much
current, so the controller shut it down to prevent damage. The current
limit might be adjustable, maybe set too low - ask your guy when he
turns up.

funny thing is when it is going up last night I hung on the door and
stop it moving but when I let go it started again..shirley the sensors
would have dealt with that if they were working ?..just going out to
test it again this morning and will video it again .....

working perfectly...will try it again in a hour or so and cancel the man
if it works.....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I use wd40 as aftershave I use so much of it ....

It'll be interesting to see what your repair man
has to say. I wouldn't have thought nylon would
last long enough.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 07:50, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I use wd40 as aftershaveÂ* I use so much of it ....

It'll be interesting to see what your repair man
has to say. I wouldn't have thought nylon would
last long enough.

Â*Â* Paul

the man told me to use wd40 but I haven't for a few months so that is
probably the problem what with wd40 attracting dirt etc ....probably my
fault....but he told me to use it....If it works in an hour I will
cancel him and ask him if I should continue using it......and do is more
regularly

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 07:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

pigging working fine now phoned the man and cancelled......he says they
use a light oil but wd40 is fine and to phone him back if it happens
again......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 19:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 19:07, Andrew wrote:
On 16/07/2020 17:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 16:18, JohnP wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in news:rep9ja$8qq$1
@dont-email.me:

OK who was the smart arse who said electric garage shutters were
great...after about a year mine has broken down....went up about two
feet then reversed and shut.....tried it again went up about two
inches
then went back down...is this a common fault ?

The wisdom is never to automate a garage door that is not running
perfectly
smoothly and is well balanced.

the whole thing was new and this is the first time it has happened in
a year....

Lockdown ?. 30 degrees centigrade in Glasgow ? ...

what ?

Lack of use ?, Thermal expansion jamming slidy bits
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 07:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 22:46, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 19:36, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 19:29, Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
OK who was the smart arse who said electric garage shutters were
great...after about a year mine has broken down....went up about two
feet then reversed and shut.....tried it again went up about two
inches
then went back down...is this a common fault ?

Have you checked the tracks are clean ? A spray with some lubricant
may not
be a bad idea. I assume it wasnt used much during the lockdown, it
may
well have gummed up. A bit of lube and a few manual open / close
cycles may
help.

no I took the mustang up and down the car park out front every other
day'''''

(I assume you have a handle to wind it open by hand.)

it's on the outside....

just went out and sprayed the tracks with wd40 and it opened so I
took the car out put the door back down thinking I could cancel the
man...came back wouldn't go up on the remote......went inside gave
the door a rattle and pushed the button on the unit it went up
...seems to be some kind of intermitant so not cancelling the
man...and it's not a faulty rmote either...

I'll go and do a video right now.....probably work ok if I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbePThXXPyA

You would have to compare the noise level, to what
it sounded like when it was new.

the same

I thought I could
hear something there that sounds loose, around the
part that does the winding. But maybe it was always
like that.

As for the choice of track lubricant, I'd see if I
could find the manufacturer manuals and docs, for
suggestions.

The track itself probably needs to be "cleaned"
rather than "lubricated". There could be sand in the
track for example.

The little wheels it glides on, could be grease-packed.
Spraying WD40 on those little wheels, the WD40 is a
"lube robber" and it can help remove manufacturer
grease from where it's needed. That's why I don't
spray WD40 around like a room freshener here.

I use wd40 as aftershaveÂ* I use so much of it ....

Do you use it to cure arthritis ?. Apparently some
folks do :-)

It
can do more damage than good, depending on what
you point it at.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I know but sometimes it is better than nothing...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use wd40 as aftershaveÂ* I use so much of it ....

Do you use it to cure arthritis ?. Apparently some
folks do :-)

no..but heard that

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

@dont-email.me:

OK who was the smart arse who said electric garage shutters were
great...after about a year mine has broken down....went up about two
feet then reversed and shut.....tried it again went up about two
inches
then went back down...is this a common fault ?

The wisdom is never to automate a garage door that is not running
perfectly
smoothly and is well balanced.

the whole thing was new and this is the first time it has happened
in a year....

Lockdown ?. 30 degrees centigrade in Glasgow ? ...

what ?

Lack of use ?, Thermal expansion jamming slidy bits

doubt it.... it is baltic up here and I had it open every second day...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 17:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 16:19, JohnP wrote:
check that there's nothing in the track.

Maybe a bit of lubrication is needed.

I was told to wd40 the tracks now and again which I do ....

I advise use of a lubricant instead.

The WD40 will have dried to a sticky Water Dispersant film. Which
collects dirt like no tomorrow.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I was told they almost never needed lubricant. Certainly Ive not applied
any to our door since it was installed (must be getting on for 10 years,
certainly 8). I was told to watch for dirt etc collecting an causing
problems but, if like us, the door is mostly shut, then dirt shouldnt get
into the garage to collect in the tracks. (Ours seems quite well sealed on
the outside.)

Id use PTFE lub rather than WD40, if I thought some was needed.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 17:11:08 +0100, Jimk wrote:

Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 16/07/2020 17:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 16:19, JohnP wrote:
check that there's nothing in the track.

Maybe a bit of lubrication is needed.

I was told to wd40 the tracks now and again which I do ....

I advise use of a lubricant instead.

The WD40 will have dried to a sticky Water Dispersant film. Which
collects dirt like no tomorrow.

Andy

A non sticky lubricant such as .........
.?

Plusgas?

--
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."
- Bursar 1 - Hex 0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 16/07/2020 17:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/07/2020 16:19, JohnP wrote:
check that there's nothing in the track.

Maybe a bit of lubrication is needed.

I was told to wd40 the tracks now and again which I do ....

I advise use of a lubricant instead.

The WD40 will have dried to a sticky Water Dispersant film. Which
collects dirt like no tomorrow.

Andy

A non sticky lubricant such as .........
..?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Crocodile roller shutter style garage door Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 10 May 16th 19 10:27 PM
Roller shutter garage doors Bald eagle UK diy 29 April 1st 15 04:37 PM
Garage roller shutter door kev UK diy 3 October 20th 14 09:46 PM
Garage roller shutter door recommendations? Bob[_62_] UK diy 15 September 18th 14 10:58 PM
Shutter finishing Dave Woodworking 1 August 18th 03 01:58 AM