DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   upvc soffits (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/66759-upvc-soffits.html)

grizz August 26th 04 07:07 PM

upvc soffits

when replacing soffits and fascias with upvc is it acceptable to just
cut away the rotten wood and then clad over the rest or will I just be
storing up problems for the future.

Set Square August 26th 04 07:33 PM

grizz wrote:

when replacing soffits and fascias with upvc is it acceptable to just
cut away the rotten wood and then clad over the rest or will I just be
storing up problems for the future.

You need to cut it back far enough to eradicate *all* the rot, replace the
cut out bits with new wood, and *then* clad over the lot.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Grunff August 26th 04 10:50 PM

Set Square wrote:

You need to cut it back far enough to eradicate *all* the rot, replace the
cut out bits with new wood, and *then* clad over the lot.

Or remove all the wood and replace with uPVC soffits (not cladding, full
thickness soffits).

--
Grunff

PJ August 27th 04 08:27 AM

"grizz" wrote in message
m...
when replacing soffits and fascias with upvc is it acceptable to just
cut away the rotten wood and then clad over the rest or will I just be
storing up problems for the future.

Yes, of course you will. Is that not obvious??!!

Bob Minchin August 27th 04 09:00 PM

PJ wrote in message ...

"grizz" wrote in message
om...
when replacing soffits and fascias with upvc is it acceptable to just
cut away the rotten wood and then clad over the rest or will I just be
storing up problems for the future.

Yes, of course you will. Is that not obvious??!!

Take care when ripping out bargeboards.The support for the verge tiles often
collapses as it is attached to the edge of the barge board.
All of a suydden you are not just cladding but stripping off an re-fixing
roof tiles.
That said rotten wood must be removed and the remaining wood saturated with
preservative before cladding.

Bob