DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tiling to the floor? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6646-tiling-floor.html)

Des March 2nd 04 07:41 PM

Tiling to the floor?

Nearly ready to start tiling and I have one more question.

I notice in most bath-showrooms that the displays are always tiled right
down to the floor.
It looks nice, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a
practical/durable thing to do.

I'm worried that without a skirting board, the bottom row of tiles is going
to come in for some welly.

Des

Lurch March 2nd 04 07:54 PM

Tiling to the floor?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:41:53 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Des"
strung together this:

Nearly ready to start tiling and I have one more question.

I notice in most bath-showrooms that the displays are always tiled right
down to the floor.
It looks nice, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a
practical/durable thing to do.

I'm worried that without a skirting board, the bottom row of tiles is going
to come in for some welly.

Our bathroom's tiled to the floor, no problems so far.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Scott Mills March 2nd 04 08:10 PM

Tiling to the floor?

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:41:53 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Des"
strung together this:

Nearly ready to start tiling and I have one more question.

I notice in most bath-showrooms that the displays are always tiled right
down to the floor.
It looks nice, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a
practical/durable thing to do.

I'm worried that without a skirting board, the bottom row of tiles is

going
to come in for some welly.

Our bathroom's tiled to the floor, no problems so far.

normally, which looks quite nice people use half a floor tile on the wall
for border effect

Lurch March 2nd 04 08:44 PM

Tiling to the floor?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:10:38 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Scott Mills"
strung together this:

normally, which looks quite nice people use half a floor tile on the wall
for border effect

Or even a border tile designed for the task.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Christian McArdle March 3rd 04 03:20 PM

Tiling to the floor?

It looks nice, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a
practical/durable thing to do.

You can. I prefer wooden skirting, though. More for appearance than impact
damage worries. Obviously, if you do tile to the floor, you may need to make
good the plaster in the skirting area, which is often missing or damaged.

Christian.

Simon Avery March 4th 04 12:37 PM

Tiling to the floor?

"Des" wrote:

Hello Des

D| I notice in most bath-showrooms that the displays are always
D| tiled right down to the floor. It looks nice, but does
D| anyone have any thoughts on whether this is
D| a practical/durable thing to do.
D| I'm worried that without a skirting board, the bottom row of
D| tiles is going to come in for some welly.

People don't tend to wear boots in bathrooms so the damage issue is
less. :)

I've tiled to the floor in mine. It looks good but the only caveat
I've found is that you do need to leave 3-4mm at the bottom for the
floorboards to slide out cleanly. That gap's easily hidden by carpet
anyway.

If on concrete, no problem.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK