DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   positioning a gas hob (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/65551-positioning-gas-hob.html)

Chris August 17th 04 07:26 PM

positioning a gas hob

I need to position a gas hob fairly close to a double oven located in
a tower housing(if that's the correct description?)

So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
controls), or to the first burner?

I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find the
full regs anywhere on the web. Are they secret? Or perhaps no-one has
thought of posting them?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Rick Dipper August 17th 04 08:41 PM

On 17 Aug 2004 11:26:12 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

I need to position a gas hob fairly close to a double oven located in
a tower housing(if that's the correct description?)

So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
controls), or to the first burner?

I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find the
full regs anywhere on the web. Are they secret? Or perhaps no-one has
thought of posting them?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Why not take the lead from the gay boys on the million pound property
experiment, put it on an island where the kids can reach all sides, or
under a window where the wind can blow it out.

Rick

Mary Fisher August 17th 04 08:54 PM

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On 17 Aug 2004 11:26:12 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

I need to position a gas hob fairly close to a double oven located in
a tower housing(if that's the correct description?)

So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
controls), or to the first burner?

I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find the
full regs anywhere on the web. Are they secret? Or perhaps no-one has
thought of posting them?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Why not take the lead from the gay boys on the million pound property
experiment, put it on an island where the kids can reach all sides, or
under a window where the wind can blow it out.

Wotchoo on about?

Mary

Rick

Mike James August 17th 04 09:24 PM

om...
:
: So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
: the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
: does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
: controls), or to the first burner?
:
: I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find the
: full regs anywhere on the web. Are they secret? Or perhaps no-one has
: thought of posting them?
:
: Many thanks in advance for any advice!

If it's new hob you have bought, the instructions usually include all
necessary dimensions, Mine did anyway.
If you didn't buy new, I'll have a root around to see if I can find mine and
post them back.
Regards.
Mike.

Dave Plowman (News) August 17th 04 11:09 PM

In article ,
Chris wrote:
So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
controls), or to the first burner?

Mine is about 9" away from the oven housing. Didn't read any instructions
- it just looked right there. And after quite a few years, no sign of a
problem. It's a gas hob.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Ed Sirett August 18th 04 11:07 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:26:12 -0700, Chris wrote:

I need to position a gas hob fairly close to a double oven located in
a tower housing(if that's the correct description?)

So the question is, what's the minimum lateral clearance demanded by
the Corgi regs between the hob and the side of the owen housing. And
does this minimum specify the distance to the hob unit (which are the
controls), or to the first burner?

1) What ever the manufacturers state. (Note this will be the minimum
clearance to a combustible surface - i.e. oven housing).
2) Failing (1). 50mm from the edge of the hob unit in every direction for
a height of at least 760mm above the pan supports.

I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find the
full regs anywhere on the web.

The gas regs are online see the gas fitting FAQ.

Are they secret?
Not quite.
Or perhaps no-one has
thought of posting them?

The problem is that the devil is in the details and the details are the
various BS normative docs. published by the BSI who want money for them.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Chris August 18th 04 01:48 PM

"Mike James" wrote in message ...
"Chris" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks Mike

The hob is old, hence no instructions.

In the end I contacted my tame Corgi plumber, who confirmed what Ed
Sirett posted elsewhere in this thread. That is to say, 50mm lateral
separation, 760 vertical.

Kind regards,

Chris

Steve Walker August 23rd 04 04:07 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:07:29 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

Which is bloody annoying considering that the commitees that write the
standards generally consist of people from industry working at their
company's expense, not the BSI's!

Steve W

Tony Bryer August 23rd 04 06:32 PM

In article , Chris
wrote:
I would have looked this up myself, except that I couldn't find
the full regs anywhere on the web. Are they secret? Or perhaps
no-one has thought of posting them?

No, they sell them - for very serious money - on specially
watermarked paper so that any photocopies are identifiable as such.
If you become a BSI member you can buy them for half price but
they're still not cheap.

Kudos to HMG for deciding a few years back that they were not in
the business of making money selling publications and making all
Acts of Parliament, Circulars, Building Regs etc etc foc to
download.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm