DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   infestation of small gnats/flies (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6519-infestation-small-gnats-flies.html)

Jonathan Ives February 28th 04 10:16 AM

infestation of small gnats/flies

Hi,

I have noticed over the last few months that my house appears to
contain a large number of small flies. I'm not an entomologist but
these are not houseflies , they are much smaller, almost the size of
gnats. They are not mosquitos and do not bite but seem to often buzz
around, often orbiting my head it appears. They appear in all rooms in
ones or twos and I can't figure out where they come from. I have
checked house plants and fruit bowls and none appear to be the
epicenter. The house is clean and we have no animals

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Anyone had a similar experience. maybe its a recognised phenomena ?

Michael McNeil February 28th 04 10:34 AM

infestation of small gnats/flies

"Jonathan Ives" wrote in message
om

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Call in the council pest control officer. It's probably no more than
someone decomposing under the floorboards. Quite common these days.
(Pleased to hear about Ian Huntley getting a clobbering.)

Andrew Mawson February 28th 04 10:41 AM

infestation of small gnats/flies

"Jonathan Ives" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have noticed over the last few months that my house appears to
contain a large number of small flies. I'm not an entomologist but
these are not houseflies , they are much smaller, almost the size of
gnats. They are not mosquitos and do not bite but seem to often buzz
around, often orbiting my head it appears. They appear in all rooms in
ones or twos and I can't figure out where they come from. I have
checked house plants and fruit bowls and none appear to be the
epicenter. The house is clean and we have no animals

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Anyone had a similar experience. maybe its a recognised phenomena ?

Sound like fruit flies - do you have an open bowl of fruit out sometimes?

Andrew

Ade February 28th 04 12:40 PM

infestation of small gnats/flies

Michael McNeil wrote:

snip

Call in the council pest control officer. It's probably no more than
someone decomposing under the floorboards. Quite common these days.

Indeed so...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3492936.stm

geoff February 28th 04 01:29 PM

infestation of small gnats/flies

In message , Jonathan
Ives writes
Hi,

I have noticed over the last few months that my house appears to
contain a large number of small flies. I'm not an entomologist but
these are not houseflies , they are much smaller, almost the size of
gnats. They are not mosquitos and do not bite but seem to often buzz
around, often orbiting my head it appears. They appear in all rooms in
ones or twos and I can't figure out where they come from. I have
checked house plants and fruit bowls and none appear to be the
epicenter. The house is clean and we have no animals

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Anyone had a similar experience. maybe its a recognised phenomena ?

Fruit flies?

--
geoff

Frisket February 28th 04 05:13 PM

infestation of small gnats/flies

"Jonathan Ives" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have noticed over the last few months that my house appears to
contain a large number of small flies. I'm not an entomologist but
these are not houseflies , they are much smaller, almost the size of
gnats. They are not mosquitos and do not bite but seem to often buzz
around, often orbiting my head it appears. They appear in all rooms in
ones or twos and I can't figure out where they come from. I have
checked house plants and fruit bowls and none appear to be the
epicenter. The house is clean and we have no animals

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Anyone had a similar experience. maybe its a recognised phenomena ?

Have you got downlighters by any chance? Don't know why but just lately
we've found gazzillions of these little blighters behind the fittings in
kitchens / bathrooms on several sites.
Richard

Rick Dipper February 29th 04 07:34 AM

On 28 Feb 2004 02:16:30 -0800, (Jonathan Ives) wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed over the last few months that my house appears to
contain a large number of small flies. I'm not an entomologist but
these are not houseflies , they are much smaller, almost the size of
gnats. They are not mosquitos and do not bite but seem to often buzz
around, often orbiting my head it appears. They appear in all rooms in
ones or twos and I can't figure out where they come from. I have
checked house plants and fruit bowls and none appear to be the
epicenter. The house is clean and we have no animals

I don't like using fly spray and things which give off chemicals, and
have so far resorted to fly papers to catch as many as possible.

Anyone had a similar experience. maybe its a recognised phenomena ?

I like to catch them out the air with the hover, absolutly no chemicals ....

Rick

Michael McNeil February 29th 04 07:35 AM

"Ade" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3492936.stm

I gather the premisses were about to be leased to an Australian couple.
When they were informed, they were delighted as they were looking to buy
a property in the area. It would seem that the current craze for feeding
tourists to the dingos in Aussie's great outdoors may be losing its
appeal.