Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating system design tools

I'm currently pondering what the options might be when the time comes to
replace our elderly heating system. Since we're on oil and wood, it isn't
immediately obvious that a like-for-like replacement is the way forward.

Are there any tools around to help select what might be plausible options?

I came across:
https://homerenewableselector.est.org.uk/
which is quite good at doing an overview of various energy sources and their
likely yield and RoI. However it only works for Scotland - seems like they
didn't get their funding renewed for E&W and NI. That aside, it looks
useful if you put in a Scottish postcode and expect to tweak the numbers for
latitude and available grants.

However, what I'm more interested in is a bit more detail. For example, a
particular solution will need a 1000l thermal store that will cost £x, a
37mm pump £y, a controller £z, and if straightforward it'll take three days
to fit. Is there anything out there that will spec out what a system might
need, especially more complicated ones (solar hot water, ASHP, back boiler
on the stove, ...)? It doesn't matter if things aren't costed, but at least
a vague shopping list would be handy to price things up later.

Of course I could go to an installer for this. But I'd like to know a
little more before going and being sold their favourite one-size-fits-all
solution.

Are there design tools out there that the installers use, or do they just do
it by hand?

Thanks
Theo