DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wall Coping (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/651127-wall-coping.html)

John June 25th 20 03:53 PM

Wall Coping

Garden wall only has soldier brick course along the top and some
(neighbours walls) are showing signs of spalling and staining (1988 build)

Any suggestions as to what to use to cap the wall?

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 25th 20 04:11 PM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 15:53, John wrote:
Garden wall only has soldier brick course along the top and some
(neighbours walls) are showing signs of spalling and staining (1988 build)

Any suggestions as to what to use to cap the wall?

something with a DPC under it ....

Jimk June 25th 20 04:21 PM

Wall Coping

John Wrote in message:
Garden wall only has soldier brick course along the top and some
(neighbours walls) are showing signs of spalling and staining (1988 build)

Any suggestions as to what to use to cap the wall?

Coping stones.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jimk June 25th 20 04:21 PM

Wall Coping

Jimk Wrote in message:
John Wrote in message:
Garden wall only has soldier brick course along the top and some
(neighbours walls) are showing signs of spalling and staining (1988 build)

Any suggestions as to what to use to cap the wall?

Coping stones.

Concrete pavers (not paving...) in various colours... depends on
your wall width & budget I spose...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Tricky Dicky[_4_] June 25th 20 05:43 PM

Wall Coping

Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 25th 20 06:04 PM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

https://www.avg.com

John June 25th 20 07:49 PM

Wall Coping

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

Any views on cost comparison?

John June 25th 20 08:49 PM

Wall Coping

Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

Mmmm - that implies removing the existing soldiers. A possibility, but
capping seems maybe a quicker way.

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 25th 20 09:14 PM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 19:49, John wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

Any views on cost comparison?

nah I always got my stuff for free .....

Andrew[_22_] June 25th 20 09:36 PM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 18:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

But contrary to expectations, they are not frost-proof
when used above ground.

PeterC June 25th 20 10:36 PM

Wall Coping

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 21:36:39 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 25/06/2020 18:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

But contrary to expectations, they are not frost-proof
when used above ground.

Mine have withstood 70 years as DPC. The back ofthe house gets wetted by
splashing of rain but has no sun over the winter, so it's frozen and thawed
quite often - or was, hardly at all nowadays.
It's a council-built house and the bricks are the blue ones - I suspect that
they're better than the modern ones.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

John Rumm June 26th 20 12:16 AM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 19:49, John wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

Any views on cost comparison?

I ordered some blue engineering bricks recently - cost was around
94p/brick for a small quantity.

(the ones I have here as soldier courses on the top of walls etc have so
far lasted a couple of decades without any degradation)

--
Cheers,

John.

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 26th 20 07:08 AM

Wall Coping

On 25/06/2020 21:36, Andrew wrote:
On 25/06/2020 18:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

But contrary to expectations, they are not frost-proof
when used above ground.

bollox you use them as a dpc in garden walls ... if you are smart ....

Dave Plowman (News) June 26th 20 10:46 AM

Wall Coping

In article ,
John wrote:
Garden wall only has soldier brick course along the top and some
(neighbours walls) are showing signs of spalling and staining (1988 build)

Any suggestions as to what to use to cap the wall?

Old house? I hate brick on edge over creasing tiles on a garden wall.
Looks cheap to me.

Yorkstone capping would be more in keeping. Not that expensive as part of
the overall wall costs.

If a newish house, precast concrete capping.

--
*WHOSE CRUEL IDEA WAS IT FOR THE WORD 'LISP' TO HAVE 'S' IN IT?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew[_22_] June 26th 20 05:03 PM

Wall Coping

On 26/06/2020 07:08, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/06/2020 21:36, Andrew wrote:
On 25/06/2020 18:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/06/2020 17:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use engineering bricks for the soldiers makes for an interesting
contrast to the rest of the wall.

Richard

engineering bricks are a good DPC .......

But contrary to expectations, they are not frost-proof
when used above ground.

bollox you use them as a dpc in garden walls ... if you are smart ....

I have some used as a path edging, laid so that the normal brick
face is uppermost, done about 8 years old.
A couple of them are already losing 'wafers' from the topmost
exposed edge.

Friend of a neighbours who used to work for Southwater brick co
watched me do it and came over and said the frost would get into
them eventually. They are apparently intended for 'below ground' usage.

These were the red variety, about 38p in wickes. The black
ones might be more dense.

Jim GM4DHJ ... June 26th 20 05:13 PM

Wall Coping

On 26/06/2020 17:03, Andrew wrote:
[...]