Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what is this?

On 31/05/2020 04:51, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

no idea
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a couple of links to a dropbox set of graphic files, quite obviously. If
you change the 0 to 1 on the end of the link the download will be automatic.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

A cupholder for a linesman.

Looks like he left his cup up there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Doesn't appear to be connected to anything???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2020 01:20:11 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Doesn't appear to be connected to anything???

It looks to be to do with light or why would it have the freznel panel
down the side(s)? I wonder if it has a solar panel on the top (and
hence why it isn't connected to anything)?

William isn't the only person who wants to know what it is ...

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciatio...stcard-please/

(although neither is on a telegraph but utility pole).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 +0100, williamwright wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Donno and wondered myself. They are a few about, possibly on poles
near fuses/air switches/auto reclosers. I wonder if they are retro
reflectors to help linesmen not familiar with the distribution(*)
locate the above key points? Seem far too complex a construction just
for that though.

(*) Drafted in from another region during storms etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Something to do with checking air quality?

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Doesn't appear to be connected to anything???

It looks to be to do with light or why would it have the freznel panel
down the side(s)? I wonder if it has a solar panel on the top (and
hence why it isn't connected to anything)?

William isn't the only person who wants to know what it is ...

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciatio...stcard-please/

(although neither is on a telegraph but utility pole).

Telegraph, if we still had it, would be a utility. It's an electriclty
supply pole carrying either 11 kV or 33kV.

The telegraph pole site is a different pole. They've been telephone poles
for years - probably 100.

I wonder if the object is a transponder. A quick fly by would show if the
pole has blown down.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sun, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 +0100, williamwright wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Donno and wondered myself. They are a few about, possibly on poles
near fuses/air switches/auto reclosers. I wonder if they are retro
reflectors to help linesmen not familiar with the distribution(*)
locate the above key points?

Shouldn't be hard to prove/disprove that by checking if they are
only on the same pole as a switch like that one obviously is.

Seem far too complex a construction just for that though.

Maybe not if it's a self powered light for easy attachment
to any pole and it needs to be visible from a decent distance.

(*) Drafted in from another region during storms etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On Sunday, 31 May 2020 04:51:24 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Doesn't appear to be connected to anything???

It looks to be to do with light or why would it have the freznel panel
down the side(s)? I wonder if it has a solar panel on the top (and
hence why it isn't connected to anything)?

William isn't the only person who wants to know what it is ...

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciatio...stcard-please/

(although neither is on a telegraph but utility pole).

It's not even pole of the month:-(

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciatio...-of-the-month/

was the last winner some time ago...

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 03:42:38 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 13:32, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

The obscure device _I_ saw on a pole a few years back had a helpful name
on it. Linetroll. Which when I looked it up is a fault indicator. I
wonder if this could be something similar?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 03:42:38 +1000, Jake56 wrote:

Donno and wondered myself. They are a few about, possibly on poles
near fuses/air switches/auto reclosers. I wonder if they are retro
reflectors to help linesmen not familiar with the distribution(*)
locate the above key points?

Shouldn't be hard to prove/disprove that by checking if they are
only on the same pole as a switch like that one obviously is.

That one isn't on a pole with a switch, fuses or auto recloser. The
ones I've seen have been on poles near such things.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2020 12:14:08 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

https://www.telegraphpoleappreciatio...stcard-please/

(although neither is on a telegraph but utility pole).

Telegraph, if we still had it, would be a utility.

Yes, but a utility pole isn't necessarily a telegraph (and my point).

It's an electriclty
supply pole carrying either 11 kV or 33kV.

Quite.

The telegraph pole site is a different pole.

I know, and looks like another electricity pole by the size of the
insulators?

They've been telephone poles
for years - probably 100.

Yes, but one service was the evolution of the other so a good chance
that telegraph poles were later used for telephone services. Not so
likely that they would do that with different utilities?

I wonder if the object is a transponder. A quick fly by would show if the
pole has blown down.

Assuming it had some sort of tilt switch in it you mean?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 31/05/2020 13:32, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

The obscure device _I_ saw on a pole a few years back had a helpful name
on it. Linetroll. Which when I looked it up is a fault indicator. I wonder
if this could be something similar?

Yeah bet it indicates if that switch is open or closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 31.05.2020 um 22:03 schrieb Vir Campestris:
On 31/05/2020 13:32, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

The obscure device _I_ saw on a pole a few years back had a helpful name
on it. Linetroll. Which when I looked it up is a fault indicator. I
wonder if this could be something similar?

Bet you are right.
https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...0-alpha-range/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 11:06:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
woman you know even if it is the only thing with a Female name that stays
around around while you talk it to it.
Poor sad git who has to resort to Usenet and electronic devices for any
interaction as all real people run a mile to get away from from you boring
them to death."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 12:14, charles wrote:

Telegraph, if we still had it, would be a utility. It's an electriclty
supply pole carrying either 11 kV or 33kV.

11 kV I reckon from the insulator shape and size ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthias Czech wrote:

https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...0-alpha-range/

"No idle barbarian could just throw a stone and break the equipment"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
On 31/05/2020 12:14, charles wrote:

Telegraph, if we still had it, would be a utility. It's an electriclty
supply pole carrying either 11 kV or 33kV.

11 kV I reckon from the insulator shape and size ?

my 'involvement' in that type of electricity was about 60 years ago. as a
student. I can't rember that aspect.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 13:32, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

The obscure device _I_ saw on a pole a few years back had a helpful name
on it. Linetroll. Which when I looked it up is a fault indicator. I
wonder if this could be something similar?

Bet you are right.
https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...0-alpha-range/

Well done! I can sleep easy now. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 13:32, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ong2y0ll...N3856.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmd0jne0x...N3854.JPG?dl=0

Clearly its a dispenser for paper muffin cases. The siting a bit odd
though... ;-)

If you ever do find out, do let us know!

The obscure device _I_ saw on a pole a few years back had a helpful name
on it. Linetroll. Which when I looked it up is a fault indicator. I
wonder if this could be something similar?

Bet you are right.
https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...0-alpha-range/

Well done! I can sleep easy now. ;-)

Tim

Now we will all be on the lookout for them. :-)

Actually I have seen one before and wondered what it was because
it had no wire connections to the power cables.