Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What to do? Amassed collection of bits and bobs....

Picture the scene:

There are 7 raaco small component storage racks in the garage like these:

http://www.raacostorage.co.uk/raaco-...86-c2x14054698

They have been filled slowly over 30 years with the thought of €śthat will be useful one day€ť or €śits useful to have spares€ť

Now much of this has lain unused and rarely used in anger.

Trouble is its a lot of hassle to itemise everything for sale Via say eBay or gumtree with the associated packaging, postage and posting it given the small value or low quantity so I am torn between keeping or binning...

Examples include 1a, 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10a and 13a plug fuses

The entire range of values for car blade type fuses in a coloured plastic case, which are still used on todays cars

A selection of car bulbs

Assorted screws of various types, lengths and diameters

Ditto for nails

A selection of fixings commonly found in self assembly furniture like wood dowels, screw and cams.

Phono plus and sockets

LEDs of various colours

Etc etc....

So whats your criteria for keeping or binning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 May 2020 09:18:40 UTC+1, wrote:
Picture the scene:

There are 7 raaco small component storage racks in the garage like these:

http://www.raacostorage.co.uk/raaco-...86-c2x14054698

that all?

[...]

What's the chance of it being useful to you in the years ahead? What does it cost you to keep it, and benefit you to lose it? If you will need one, what could you buy another for?

There are basically 3 levels of sales:
1. individual parts or small retail packs
2. colllections of one type of thing, eg fuses or bulbs etc
3. Mixed pallets of all sorts

You can sell at any of those levels, with 3 and often 2 the buyer resells some or all, and you get a way lower price per item. But it's no more work than photographing, boxing & listing.

Some things are worth running through a dishwasher first.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So whats your criteria for keeping or binning?

if you bin it you will need it the following week .....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 May 2020 13:02:18 +0100, Davey
wrote:

snip

Once it's yours I believe you have a duty of care (to the world) to
make sure that as little stuff as possible get's thrown away, wherever
'away' actually is.

Absolutely.

The number of Dyson uprights you see at the dump that could be working
all for trimming the power lead back 100mm. Or the large TV's that are
thrown in the electrics skip when they could be fixed for the cost of
a capacitor.

People have just too much money and no skill (often born out of
necessity) these days.

Throw away nothing is my plan, unless it is something that
was used to clean something and has no future purpose.

I have even found (basically clean / undamaged) micro fiber cloths in
the road, carefully got them home and put them in the washing machine,
to use them for all sorts of cleaning / rag jobs. ;-)

Clean / old T shirts and pants become 'workshop rags'. Any unwanted
clothes still in good condition go to the charity shop (for our
daughter, that's often where they came from in the first place, of
from other family members / friends). ;-)

Anything broken beyond repair (like an inject printer) gets taken to
bits, steel shafts / rollers go in my various lathe turning stock bins
and the plastics / PCB's get recycled appropriately. I bought it, I
should be responsible for making it's disposal / recycling as small a
burden on everyone else as possible.

A mate was about to 'throw away' (and by that I mean actually 'put it
in the Euro-bin where he has a pert time job', not in the WEEE cage at
the local recycling centre) a new / unused Sky box. I manage to get it
before he did, stripped it down into it's key parts and the (2014)
500GB SATA drive that came out of it is current my new W10 drive. ;-)

He thought it was 'funny' to send me a picture of his old (W7) PC
sticking out of said bin and I've not really spoken to him since.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2020 12:07:25 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

Once it's yours I believe you have a duty of care (to the world) to make
sure that as little stuff as possible get's thrown away, wherever 'away'
actually is.

The weirdest one I had was a load of unused eye dressings (only a few
months after purchase). I just bought too many.

The local St John Ambulance were very grateful.

Bingo. But you had to put a little effort into doing 'the good thing'
(all round) but you still did. ;-)

So many people seem to put so little value on anything these days,
once they have no use for it and certainly rarely the effort to give
something to a good home.

A mate did similar to you with loads of syringes then later, needles
to go with ... at a veterinary training college (left over surplus /
now out-of-date stuff from his sick Mrs).

I've just 3D printed 50 'NHS spec' visor frames and daughter has
punched, shaped, sterilised and bagged up the visors to go with in a
batch of 40 and 10 for the local Isabel Hospice and doctors surgery. I
had to repair the printer twice in all that (the first repairs in a
long time and since building it) and that reminded me of the benefits
of having something that was built from (mostly stock) components.

The liner in the extruder nozzle seems to have given up and was
causing the extruder stepper some difficulty and made removing the
filament cleanly at the end nearly impossible. 'Luckily', when I had
made the modified extruder shaft I made two (I wanted them longer to
increase the temperature differential between nozzle and extruder
stepper) so had one ready to go, complete with liner, allowing me to
get back printing and to clean / re-line the old one at my leisure (or
when I'm back on the lathe). ;-)

I'm not sure seeing most 'broken' things as repairable is a good thing
or not (and knowing they would only be economically repairable *today*
is doing so yourself) but that's now I am and have always been?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Once it's yours I believe you have a duty of care (to the world) to
make sure that as little stuff as possible get's thrown away, wherever
'away' actually is.

Absolutely.

The number of Dyson uprights you see at the dump that could be working
all for trimming the power lead back 100mm.

nah, needs at least 101mm trimming off. Cue long discussion.

Or the large TV's that are
thrown in the electrics skip when they could be fixed for the cost of
a capacitor.

People have just too much money and no skill (often born out of
necessity) these days.

Throw away nothing is my plan, unless it is something that
was used to clean something and has no future purpose.

I have even found (basically clean / undamaged) micro fiber cloths in
the road, carefully got them home and put them in the washing machine,
to use them for all sorts of cleaning / rag jobs. ;-)

Sheeple have been trained to believe picking things up is somehow disgusting or awful, and that they must pay businesses rather than have things for free or a small fraction of the cost. I've had so many diy supplies from people for whom, once they've done a job, the remaining supplies suddenly seem to become in some way unacceptable or worthless. It's the same stuff it was 5 days ago!

Clean / old T shirts and pants become 'workshop rags'. Any unwanted
clothes still in good condition go to the charity shop (for our
daughter, that's often where they came from in the first place, of
from other family members / friends). ;-)

Anything broken beyond repair (like an inject printer) gets taken to

I'm keeping a safe distance from that one

bits, steel shafts / rollers go in my various lathe turning stock bins
and the plastics / PCB's get recycled appropriately. I bought it, I
should be responsible for making it's disposal / recycling as small a
burden on everyone else as possible.

A mate was about to 'throw away' (and by that I mean actually 'put it
in the Euro-bin where he has a pert time job', not in the WEEE cage at
the local recycling centre) a new / unused Sky box. I manage to get it
before he did, stripped it down into it's key parts and the (2014)
500GB SATA drive that came out of it is current my new W10 drive. ;-)

only worth a fiver, but if you got it out in 5 minutes that's ÂŁ60 an hour.

He thought it was 'funny' to send me a picture of his old (W7) PC
sticking out of said bin and I've not really spoken to him since.

Cheers, T i m

Sheeple have been trained. It's stupid. I get better quality, longer lasting & more reliable goods by buying used than buying new. Only sheeple are responsible for their choices, not someone else.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Sheeple have been trained to believe picking things up is somehow disgusting or awful,

Sheeple have been trained. It's stupid.

Yeah Man don't follow the Sheeple. Smell the coffee, do the math, and get with the
program !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 May 2020 07:50:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

I have even found (basically clean / undamaged) micro fiber cloths in
the road, carefully got them home and put them in the washing machine,
to use them for all sorts of cleaning / rag jobs. ;-)

Sheeple have been trained to believe picking things up is somehow disgusting or awful,

Except those in the know. 'Where's there's muck there's brass'. (well,
sometimes anyway). ;-)

and that they must pay businesses rather than have things for free or a small fraction of the cost. I've had so many diy supplies from people for whom, once they've done a job, the remaining supplies suddenly seem to become in some way unacceptable or worthless. It's the same stuff it was 5 days ago!

Yup, the worst being contract builders. I've seen several brand new
sheets of plasterboard and bundles of constructional timber thrown in
a skip and it seems such a waste. To them it's a liability of course,
having to pay to store it or even return it for refund versus just
chucking it away.

Anything broken beyond repair (like an inject printer) gets taken to

I'm keeping a safe distance from that one

;-)

bits, steel shafts / rollers go in my various lathe turning stock bins
and the plastics / PCB's get recycled appropriately. I bought it, I
should be responsible for making it's disposal / recycling as small a
burden on everyone else as possible.

A mate was about to 'throw away' (and by that I mean actually 'put it
in the Euro-bin where he has a pert time job', not in the WEEE cage at
the local recycling centre) a new / unused Sky box. I manage to get it
before he did, stripped it down into it's key parts and the (2014)
500GB SATA drive that came out of it is current my new W10 drive. ;-)

only worth a fiver, but if you got it out in 5 minutes that's Ł60 an hour.

Quite. And sometimes our existence here is about more than money.

He thought it was 'funny' to send me a picture of his old (W7) PC
sticking out of said bin and I've not really spoken to him since.

Sheeple have been trained. It's stupid. I get better quality, longer lasting & more reliable goods by buying used than buying new. Only sheeple are responsible for their choices, not someone else.

Like I said, this doesn't generally happen in 3rd world countries
because they simply can't afford to throw anything useable (or that
could be made useable) away.

It amazes me how skillful and imaginative some of these people can be,
fixing machine made stuff with their bare hand (and often bare feet)
and in less that ideal circumstances. They appreciate that (say) a
burnt out industrial motor is only broken because of some thin copper
wire. All the work and energy that went into making the casing, the
end plates, the armature and end plates can be salvages, giving them
something back that they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Get rid of the lot..............Car boot sale.
Keep the fuses and spare bulbs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ham radio rallies are one place assorted items 50p a bag are sold off.
You could also do the same at a car boot. At least it can be satisfying to
know that somebody might be able to make use of them.
Nuts and bolts of assorted types are very useful to have too.

I remember there used to be small adds in the back of magazines for bundles
of stuff like this be it assorted transistors, leds or whatever.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Monday, 25 May 2020 09:18:40 UTC+1, wrote:
Picture the scene:

There are 7 raaco small component storage racks in the garage like these:

http://www.raacostorage.co.uk/raaco-...86-c2x14054698

that all?

They have been filled slowly over 30 years with the thought of "that will
be useful one day" or "its useful to have spares"

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2020 07:49, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Ham radio rallies are one place assorted items 50p a bag are sold off.
You could also do the same at a car boot. At least it can be satisfying to
know that somebody might be able to make use of them.
Nuts and bolts of assorted types are very useful to have too.

I remember there used to be small adds in the back of magazines for bundles
of stuff like this be it assorted transistors, leds or whatever.
Brian

I bought a Bill Lowe bargain box in the 60's ...full of war surplus
stuff it was....

--
bad boy Dominic was allowed out and I wasn't, waaaaaah, waaaaah,
waaaaah.......

If Domanic can do it...so can I ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 7:13:03 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
[...]

The trouble with ' keeping it as it may prove useful someday ' is that when that day comes you can never find it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
[...]

Thats unlikely when they are stored like he does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 26 May 2020 19:15:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Where to get spare bits and bobs for upvc doors / tilt-and-turnwindows? mike[_7_] UK diy 3 June 8th 09 09:50 AM
Some Nice Bits & Bobs from Lidi next Week Baz UK diy 30 May 20th 09 10:34 PM
Wiring Underfloor heating bits and bobs. Mark Gillespie[_2_] UK diy 5 March 6th 08 05:28 PM
Dremel bits and bobs df UK diy 10 May 13th 07 06:56 PM
trailer bits and bobs jacob UK diy 7 November 13th 04 12:24 PM