Old May 23rd 20, 03:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Camera up the Chimney

My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

--
Cheers
Clive

Old May 23rd 20, 04:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

You can do USB over 4 metres plus with an active lead.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 23rd 20, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string
once up there?

Old May 23rd 20, 05:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 15:12, Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace.* The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round.* I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around?* USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Remember it is very unlikely to be straight up.

Old May 23rd 20, 06:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 16:48, ss wrote:
On 23/05/2020 16:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Any such thing around?* USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string
once up there?

+1

or a PoE ethernet one...

--
Cheers,

John.

Old May 23rd 20, 07:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 15:12:51 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.
Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Invert a plastic bag over the camera. Attach a length of hose to the drain rods with the end inside the plastic bag (you might run the cable inside the hose to give it protection).

When the camera has exited the chimbley pot, send some compressed air up the hose to blow the bag off. You'd probably have enough force to blow off a bubble-wrap bag.

This is a once-only operation.

Or attach something shiny and wait for a magpie or jackdaw.

Or attach a (potato) chip and wait for a gull.

Owain

Old May 23rd 20, 07:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

I’d be tempted to make some sort of cage or basket around the camera, or
just anything to keep the camera away from the sides of the chimney.
Shouldn’t be too hard...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 23rd 20, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wait for a gull.

to crap on the lens?