Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Camera up the Chimney

My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

You can do USB over 4 metres plus with an active lead.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string
once up there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 15:12, Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace.Â* The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round.Â* I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around?Â* USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Remember it is very unlikely to be straight up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 16:48, ss wrote:
On 23/05/2020 16:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Any such thing around?* USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string
once up there?

+1

or a PoE ethernet one...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 15:12:51 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.
Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Invert a plastic bag over the camera. Attach a length of hose to the drain rods with the end inside the plastic bag (you might run the cable inside the hose to give it protection).

When the camera has exited the chimbley pot, send some compressed air up the hose to blow the bag off. You'd probably have enough force to blow off a bubble-wrap bag.

This is a once-only operation.

Or attach something shiny and wait for a magpie or jackdaw.

Or attach a (potato) chip and wait for a gull.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small
Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4
metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out
the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least,
that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely
operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Id be tempted to make some sort of cage or basket around the camera, or
just anything to keep the camera away from the sides of the chimney.
Shouldnt be too hard...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wait for a gull.

to crap on the lens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most chimneys have some kind of cranked or blocked bit like louvers to stop
rain coming straight down or birds building their nests there.
I'd have thought a camera on a mast poked through from inside the loft
with a tile removed might be another way of doing it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string once
up there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

You didn't need a drone to spot the BBQ down the street.

I never knew that that many people lived in that 3 bed semi.

On 24/05/2020 12:46, Andrew wrote:
Or just buy a drone if he is perving on the neighbours or
reporting lockdown evaders to the plod :-)

Andrew

On 24/05/2020 09:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Most chimneys have some kind of cranked or blocked bit like louvers to
stop
rain coming straight down or birds building their nests there.
Â*Â* I'd have thought a camera on a mast poked through from inside the loft
with a tile removed might beÂ* another way of doing it.
Â* Brian

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

You didn't need a drone to spot the BBQ down the street.
I never knew that that many people lived in that 3 bed semi.

Now you know where all the Strongbow went ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 May 2020 19:04:17 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I never knew that that many people lived in that 3 bed semi.

Romanians?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/05/2020 19:13, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

You didn't need a drone to spot the BBQ down the street. I never knew
that that many people lived in that 3 bed semi.

Now you know where all the Strongbow went ...

You might be correct :-)

However I am not bothered.

I spent enough for free delivery from here

http://bradfieldbrewery.com/our-beers/

and from here

https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID: