Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden pump

I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price
is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd
personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As
regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends
on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any
experience.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article d19gcf5l9tfllslqtmkt8kuh0u63bbh0t4@astraweb,
James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

presumably you have permission from the canal owner?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

I don't suppose anyone is going to notice unless the OP installs a
very big pump!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :
That was not the question.

Perhaps the OP wasn't aware?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

but, if it isn't, any answer is helping someone break the law. That's
conspiracy

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2020 20:03, Chris Green wrote:
James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price
is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd
personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As
regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends
on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any
experience.

I use a 12V pump non-submersible purchased cheaply from Ebay to pump
de-onised water up a 18 foot window washing pole for washing upstairs
windows. The only slight problem is priming it in the first place. It's
meant to be self priming but it will not prime properly if the pole and
connecting hose is connected. I first have to remove the output hose and
pole and then water pumps freely. I can then switch off the pump,
connect the hose/pole and turn the pump on again where it now works
without problems.

I paid £16 for the pump (100psi 6Litres/minute) and £14 for a mains to
12V supply
Water and mains electricity don't mix so a waterproof enclosure is
required for the power supply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James wrote:
[...]

you don't need to do this conecting/disconnecting routine. You only have to fit a non-return valve mechanism at the suction point. A
one-way plastic hose connector at the inlet to the pump will do the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Firstly, are you actually allowed to pump water from the canal onto your
lawn.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"James" wrote in message
news:d19gcf5l9tfllslqtmkt8kuh0u63bbh0t4@astraweb.. .
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 May 2020 19:34:16 UTC+1, James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Only if legally permitted:
large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary hose. Downside is size.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Firstly, are you actually allowed to pump water from the canal onto your
lawn.

I am, but I should have been clearer: it's advice about the pump
that I want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

--
Ask how to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 10:49, Kellerman wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

No, it is not.

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2020 10:49, Kellerman wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.
That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

No, it is not.

oh yes it is ....

--
Ask how to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 09:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:58:02 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Besides, they clack away continuously while pumping which can be
annoying.

Pretty much like a wife then

all women"