DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garden pump (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/649675-garden-pump.html)

James[_51_] May 22nd 20 07:33 PM

Garden pump

I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Chris Green May 22nd 20 08:03 PM

Garden pump

James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price
is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd
personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As
regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends
on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any
experience.

--
Chris Green
·

charles May 22nd 20 08:28 PM

Garden pump

In article d19gcf5l9tfllslqtmkt8kuh0u63bbh0t4@astraweb,
James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

presumably you have permission from the canal owner?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. May 22nd 20 09:42 PM

Garden pump

James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 22nd 20 09:58 PM

Garden pump

On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

fully understood.

Chris Green May 22nd 20 10:02 PM

Garden pump

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

I don't suppose anyone is going to notice unless the OP installs a
very big pump!

--
Chris Green
·

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. May 22nd 20 10:14 PM

Garden pump

The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :
That was not the question.

Perhaps the OP wasn't aware?

charles May 22nd 20 10:45 PM

Garden pump

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

but, if it isn't, any answer is helping someone break the law. That's
conspiracy

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

alan_m May 22nd 20 11:25 PM

Garden pump

On 22/05/2020 20:03, Chris Green wrote:
James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price
is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd
personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As
regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends
on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any
experience.

I use a 12V pump non-submersible purchased cheaply from Ebay to pump
de-onised water up a 18 foot window washing pole for washing upstairs
windows. The only slight problem is priming it in the first place. It's
meant to be self priming but it will not prime properly if the pole and
connecting hose is connected. I first have to remove the output hose and
pole and then water pumps freely. I can then switch off the pump,
connect the hose/pole and turn the pump on again where it now works
without problems.

I paid £16 for the pump (100psi 6Litres/minute) and £14 for a mains to
12V supply
Water and mains electricity don't mix so a waterproof enclosure is
required for the power supply

[email protected] May 23rd 20 02:29 AM

Garden pump

James wrote:
[...]

you don't need to do this conecting/disconnecting routine. You only have to fit a non-return valve mechanism at the suction point. A
one-way plastic hose connector at the inlet to the pump will do the same.

Brian Gaff[_4_] May 23rd 20 08:28 AM

Garden pump

Firstly, are you actually allowed to pump water from the canal onto your
lawn.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news:d19gcf5l9tfllslqtmkt8kuh0u63bbh0t4@astraweb.. .

[email protected] May 23rd 20 09:11 AM

Garden pump

On Friday, 22 May 2020 19:34:16 UTC+1, James wrote:
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear
recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Only if legally permitted:
large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary hose. Downside is size.

NT

James[_51_] May 23rd 20 10:36 AM

Garden pump

Brian Gaff wrote:

Firstly, are you actually allowed to pump water from the canal onto your
lawn.

I am, but I should have been clearer: it's advice about the pump
that I want.

Kellerman[_4_] May 23rd 20 10:49 AM

Garden pump

On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

--
Ask how to email me.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 23rd 20 10:57 AM

Garden pump

On 23/05/2020 10:49, Kellerman wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

No, it is not.

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy

Kellerman[_4_] May 23rd 20 11:15 AM

Garden pump

On 23/05/2020 10:49, Kellerman wrote:
On 22/05/2020 21:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
James was thinking very hard :
I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from
the adjacent canal to my small lawn

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.
That was not the question.

But it is the answer.

No, it is not.

oh yes it is ....

--
Ask how to email me.

Vir Campestris May 23rd 20 09:36 PM

Garden pump

On 23/05/2020 09:11, wrote:
Only if legally permitted:
large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary hose. Downside is size.

The canal may have no current.

Andy

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 24th 20 08:52 AM

Garden pump

On 23/05/2020 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/05/2020 09:11, wrote:
Only if legally permitted:
large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open
hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of
the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary
hose. Downside is size.

The canal may have no current.

Andy

hydraulic ram would work

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Chris J Dixon May 24th 20 08:58 AM

Garden pump

On 23/05/2020 09:11, wrote:
Only if legally permitted:
large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open
hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of
the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary
hose. Downside is size.

The canal may have no current.

Andy

hydraulic ram would work

Don't you need some head for those?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 24th 20 09:58 AM

Garden pump

On 24/05/2020 09:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:58:02 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Besides, they clack away continuously while pumping which can be
annoying.

Pretty much like a wife then

all women"