DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Extending a path by mortar/concrete (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/649340-extending-path-mortar-concrete.html)

Broadback[_3_] May 15th 20 05:53 PM

Extending a path by mortar/concrete

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

Tricky Dicky[_4_] May 15th 20 08:00 PM

On Friday, 15 May 2020 17:53:20 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

How wide is the area you are trying to fill. Use finer aggregate in the concrete ie 10mm instead of 20mm

Richard

[email protected] May 15th 20 10:37 PM

Extending a path by mortar/concrete

On Friday, 15 May 2020 17:53:20 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

If the gap is so narrow that concrete won't even fit into it, I'd expect it to break apart prematurely.

NT

Roger Hayter[_2_] May 15th 20 11:21 PM

Broadback wrote:

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

`if the gaps are less than about 20mm I'd just use a stronger mortar mix
- 1:2 or 2:5. And put SBR in if that isn't strong enough.

--

Roger Hayter

ARW May 17th 20 12:57 PM

On 15/05/2020 23:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
Broadback wrote:

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

`if the gaps are less than about 20mm I'd just use a stronger mortar mix
- 1:2 or 2:5. And put SBR in if that isn't strong enough.

Wow that is a strong mix:-)

--
Adam

[email protected] May 17th 20 09:42 PM

Broadback wrote:

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

`if the gaps are less than about 20mm I'd just use a stronger mortar mix
- 1:2 or 2:5. And put SBR in if that isn't strong enough.

Wow that is a strong mix:-)

1:2 is actually less strong than 3:1. Portland cement is not particularly strong, so the strongest mix is when it fills the void between packed sand particles.

NT

ARW May 18th 20 07:36 PM

Broadback wrote:

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which
in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I
think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not
go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

`if the gaps are less than about 20mm I'd just use a stronger mortar mix
- 1:2 or 2:5. And put SBR in if that isn't strong enough.

Wow that is a strong mix:-)

1:2 is actually less strong than 3:1. Portland cement is not particularly strong, so the strongest mix is when it fills the void between packed sand particles.

NT

a 4:1 sloppy mix ends up as hard as bell metal when it cures.

--
Adam