DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pipes and Cables (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/647208-pipes-cables.html)

John April 6th 20 01:01 PM

Pipes and Cables

I had a look at an old factory at the way pipes and cables are
run,supported and allows to expand and contract.

I compared this with what I expect is done under the roads.where they are
also subjected to the vibrations from traffic pounding into the potholes
left by the utliities and the constant thumping down of the manhole shafts
and thought - Do we use best practices?

Steve Walker[_5_] April 6th 20 01:36 PM

Pipes and Cables

On 06/04/2020 13:01, John wrote:
I had a look at an old factory at the way pipes and cables are
run,supported and allows to expand and contract.

I compared this with what I expect is done under the roads.where they are
also subjected to the vibrations from traffic pounding into the potholes
left by the utliities and the constant thumping down of the manhole shafts
and thought - Do we use best practices?

No, but expansion/contraction is much less of a problem underground, as
temperatures vary much less. The surrounding earth will restrain
movement too - much like continuously welded rail doesn't need the large
number of expansion joints that bolted rails do.

SteveW