Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WIFI/Bluetooth remote-controlled dimmer light switch

I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop computer
and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing light switch
is about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage a substitute
light switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop computer
and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing light switch is
about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage a substitute light
switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Yep, lots of them around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:34:43 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop computer
and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing light switch is
about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage a substitute light
switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Yep, lots of them around.

Is there one with which to switch YOU off ...for good, senile Rodent?

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John_j" wrote in
:

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop
computer and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing
light switch is about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage
a substitute light switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Yep, lots of them around.

Why not an ordinary IR Remote? Some can learn from any existing remote.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
"John_j" wrote in
:

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop
computer and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing
light switch is about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage
a substitute light switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Yep, lots of them around.

Why not an ordinary IR Remote? Some can learn from any existing remote.

I prefer a proper system like zigbee which can control all
your lights and other stuff and doesn’t need to be pointed
at what you want to control, so can turn on the outside
lights and lights at the other end of the house etc and
which have a variety of switches, some of which don’t
need any power supply or battery at all and which can
be programmed to switch on time or movement or
light level etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:45 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 04:45:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile Ozzietard's latest troll**** unread

Are you trying to see whether your "Rodent Speed" handle is in his killfile,
you trolling senile asshole? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 17:16:29 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop computer
and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing light switch
is about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage a substitute
light switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Another Dave

We are told to exercise. Surely a frequent 5 metre round-trip to the
switch would count as such?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/20 17:45, Rod Speed wrote:

I prefer a proper system like zigbee which can control all
your lights and other stuff and doesn’t need to be pointed
at what you want to control, so can turn on the outside
lights and lights at the other end of the house etc and
which have a variety of switches, some of which don’t
need any power supply or battery at all and which can
be programmed to switch on time or movement or
light level etc.

Thanks for that. It's given me somewhere to start from.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 5:16:32 PM UTC, Another Dave wrote:
I quite fancy sitting at my desk in front of my (Linux) desktop computer
and controlling the mains lighting in my den. The existing light switch
is about 2-2.5 metres away from the computer. I envisage a substitute
light switch with a WIFI or Bluetooth controlled dimmer.

Does such a thing exist?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Sonoff is a make worth looking at. I have put hacked firmware onto a
Sonoff S26 "Wifi Smart Plug" (search for tasmoto if the firmware interests you)

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2020 21:02, Another Dave wrote:
On 27/03/20 17:45, Rod Speed wrote:

I prefer a proper system like zigbee which can control all
your lights and other stuff and doesn’t need to be pointed
at what you want to control, so can turn on the outside
lights and lights at the other end of the house etc and
which have a variety of switches, some of which don’t
need any power supply or battery at all and which can
be programmed to switch on time or movement or
light level etc.

Thanks for that. It's given me somewhere to start from.

http://www.idratek.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2020 22:37:53, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 27/03/2020 21:02, Another Dave wrote:
On 27/03/20 17:45, Rod Speed wrote:

I prefer a proper system like zigbee which can control all
your lights and other stuff and doesn’t need to be pointed
at what you want to control, so can turn on the outside
lights and lights at the other end of the house etc and
which have a variety of switches, some of which don’t
need any power supply or battery at all and which can
be programmed to switch on time or movement or
light level etc.

Thanks for that. It's given me somewhere to start from.

http://www.idratek.com/

That website comes across as total bull:

"IDRANet works by transmitting short bursts of digital data onto the
data bus."

"IDRATEK’s overall implementation also includes an audio bus"

And

"Physically the network bus exhibits some similarities to the well known
CAN bus and exhibits similar physical characteristics of robustness and
data rate vs. bus length constraints"

I've read reams but still know so little about the products. I would
avoid any product where you can't work out the media of transmission.

The OP might as well have wires to his desk and another switch.

What's you interest in this website?