Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indirect lighting

This is my study I am redecorating. The new wall lights won't give out
as much light as the old ones so I wanted some extra lighting and intend
to fit lights behind the wooden cornice of a large fitted bookcase to
shine upwards onto the ceiling. The bookcase is 2.5m across and I was
intending to line the v shaped channel behind the furniture cornice
moulding with reflective tape and put in some kind of lighting strip or
several strips, like pelmet lighting but upside down.

I see suprisingly fluorescent tubes are still available, also things
called LED battens which look like fluorescent tubes, also self adhesive
led tapes (@5m long, perfect). Some options offer I think 'CCT' Colour
Change Technology, some a separate handset control or even a phone app.
So what is a good option? do I need to worry about the colour and the
nature of the light given off? flicker? lumens? heat? Is it going to
look hopelessly commercial? I am a bit mystified by the choices.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
This is my study I am redecorating. The new wall lights won't give out as
much light as the old ones so I wanted some extra lighting and intend to
fit lights behind the wooden cornice of a large fitted bookcase to shine
upwards onto the ceiling. The bookcase is 2.5m across and I was intending
to line the v shaped channel behind the furniture cornice moulding with
reflective tape and put in some kind of lighting strip or several strips,
like pelmet lighting but upside down.

I see suprisingly fluorescent tubes are still available, also things
called LED battens which look like fluorescent tubes,

No point in using those now.

also self adhesive led tapes (@5m long, perfect).

Thats the way to go.

Some options offer I think 'CCT' Colour Change Technology, some a separate
handset control or even a phone app. So what is a good option?

I prefer to go with a decent zigbee system
that eventually has all the lights in the house
done that way. I use the Philips Hue system
which aint cheap but isnt too bad when you
buy the amazon specials that happen very
frequently, particularly if you use the other
european amazons as well as the uk one.
Dont use the USA one for other than the led
strips and movement sensors etc.

That allows you to control it any way you like,
movement sensor, voice control, mobile phone,
physical switches with no wires or battery etc
or fully programmed by time of day etc.

do I need to worry about the colour

Thats a personal thing. I prefer to be able to control
the color temperature but dont bother with the non
white colors even tho the strip will do them.

Some prefer colors for mood lighting.

and the nature of the light given off? flicker?

Not a problem with the higher quality led strips.

lumens?

Yes, but not easy to turn that into bright
enough for you with your indirect light.

heat?

My Hue led strips arent even warm to the touch.

Is it going to look hopelessly commercial?

Again, thats a personal thing.

I am a bit mystified by the choices.

Yeah, they can be a bit daunting but its not very complicated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:48 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for TWO AND A HALF HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 03:48:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:45??? And you STILL can't go back to bed, you LONELY senile pest! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 16:30, TimW wrote:
This is my study I am redecorating. The new wall lights won't give out
as much light as the old ones so I wanted some extra lighting and intend
to fit lights behind the wooden cornice of a large fitted bookcaseÂ* to
shine upwards onto the ceiling. The bookcase is 2.5m across and I was
intending to line the v shaped channel behind the furniture cornice
moulding with reflective tape and put in some kind of lighting strip or
several strips, like pelmet lighting but upside down.

I see suprisingly fluorescent tubes are still available, also things
called LED battens which look like fluorescent tubes, also self adhesive
led tapes (@5m long, perfect). Some options offer I think 'CCT' Colour
Change Technology, some a separate handset control or even a phone app.
So what is a good option? do I need to worry about the colour and the
nature of the light given off? flicker? lumens? heat? Is it going to
look hopelessly commercial? I am a bit mystified by the choices.

you posted about what seems to be the same issue on 7 March. In case
the - admittedly few - replies did not reach you they are at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/Indirect$20lighting%7Csort:date/uk.d-i-y/Q1IOse4q03c/8bxM5SgEAwAJ

It might help to know if you want to be able to dim the lighting - or at
least have 2 or 3 levels.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 18:58, Robin wrote:
On 10/03/2020 16:30, TimW wrote:
This is my study I am redecorating. The new wall lights won't give out
as much light as the old ones so I wanted some extra lighting and
intend to fit lights behind the wooden cornice of a large fitted
bookcaseÂ* to shine upwards onto the ceiling. The bookcase is 2.5m
across and I was intending to line the v shaped channel behind the
furniture cornice moulding with reflective tape and put in some kind
of lighting strip or several strips, like pelmet lighting but upside
down.

I see suprisingly fluorescent tubes are still available, also things
called LED battens which look like fluorescent tubes, also self
adhesive led tapes (@5m long, perfect). Some options offer I think
'CCT' Colour Change Technology, some a separate handset control or
even a phone app. So what is a good option? do I need to worry about
the colour and the nature of the light given off? flicker? lumens?
heat? Is it going to look hopelessly commercial? I am a bit mystified
by the choices.

you posted about what seems to be the same issue on 7 March.Â* In case
the - admittedly few - replies did not reach you they are at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/Indirect$20lighting%7Csort:date/uk.d-i-y/Q1IOse4q03c/8bxM5SgEAwAJ

It might help to know if you want to be able to dim the lighting - or at
least have 2 or 3 levels.

OMG senility! I have spent far too much time with my batty old Mother. I
had completely forgotten, and it was only a week ago. I am going to stop
doing aanything and just put gin in my tea now.
TW