Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV advice please.

On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

That'll usually run megabit+ network with line drivers.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

But were unlikely to do that to a shed.

That'll usually run megabit+ network with line drivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

The feed to my house is now 50 years old and still works
fine and does 130mbit vdsl2 fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:35 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 02:35:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:35??? AGAIN? LOL Admit it, you ARE clinically insane, senile Rodent! So
what was your psychiatrists official diagnosis?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:23 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for ONE HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 02:23:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:23??? So your first hour of your insipid trolling is over now, senile
pest! For HOW long are you going to troll this night and day? Until
afternoon, at least? Of COURSE! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

The feed to my house is now 50 years old and still works
fine and does 130mbit vdsl2 fine.

but, you have noted that we live in a "soggy little island" I suspect
water might play its part in degrading the cable

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years
ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after
being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

The feed to my house is now 50 years old and still works
fine and does 130mbit vdsl2 fine.

but, you have noted that we live in a "soggy little island" I suspect
water might play its part in degrading the cable

Ours can be soggy at times too. Bet there are plenty
on that soggy little frigid island that have a feed to
the house that is at least that old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:33 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 03:33:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:33? LOL You ARE clincally insane!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 11:57, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

It's surprising how cable deteriorates in damp conditions. I can only
think that the plastic outer sheath is not perfectly waterproof.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Monday, 9 March 2020 22:52:05 UTC, charles wrote:
foresight would have been needed, I installed the cable 40 years ago!

You could have put in a telephone cable 40 years ago.

I do still have a reasonable amount of GPO 4 core. I suspect after being
buried for 40 years it might not still be working.

It's surprising how cable deteriorates in damp conditions.

Things can be weird, I remmebr opening a draw from one ofm those plastic storage draw units that are common I kept rubber gromments in it and they had 'welded' themselves to the plastic draw like hot caramel on chocolate (dam master chef).
I;ts only been about 10 years .

I can only
think that the plastic outer sheath is not perfectly waterproof.

But you also have temperture vairations through the years and everything ages.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I think Openreach use a paraffin gel (Vaseline-like) filled cable to
protecte the pairs inside from water. This will be very inert.

--

Roger Hayter