Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Relamping with LED

I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 21:48:47 UTC, John wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

sure

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

Maybe you can provided some added light elsewhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright than
halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often described as
stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why. Is it perhaps
because the leds used tend to have discreet colours mixed to make it look
like white, but there are key frequencies missing, much like those low
energy lamps they used to give away.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 21:48:47 UTC, John wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work
out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

sure

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

Maybe you can provided some added light elsewhere.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/20 21:48, John wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

This was covered - more or less - in the recent thread "Where to buy G9
LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?" Basically, if your ceiling
fitting was designed for use with G9 halogens, you might well find that
LED bulbs overheat in the same fitting, and give a lot shorter life than
you expect. In general, too, the lumen figures quoted for LED G9s are,
shall we say, somewhat on the optimistic side!

That being said, if you could get G9 low voltage LEDs you should find
they are more reliable than mains G9 LEDs, as it is usually the power
supply circuitry in the base of the bulb which fails through overheating
rather than the led module itself. The problem is that, as far as I can
see, all G9 bulbs are mains voltage!

So if you need a power supply and something different from G9s, why not
replace the light fitting and stay with a mains voltage LED bulb? GU10s,
in my experience, are more reliable and brighter than G9s, and there is
a vast choice of ceiling fittings for GU10s.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright than
halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often described as
stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why.

Mine arent when set to warm white.

Is it perhaps because the leds used tend to have discreet colours mixed
to make it look like white, but there are key frequencies missing, much
like those low energy lamps they used to give away.

So did fluoros but only an idiot claims they are stark and stressful.

wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 21:48:47 UTC, John wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work
out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power
supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

sure

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

Maybe you can provided some added light elsewhere.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 21:48:47 UTC, John* wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't
work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power
supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

sure

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

Maybe you can provided some added light elsewhere.

NT

Most LED lamps now on sale are actually constructed using near UV LEDs
coated with a broadband emitting phosphor - the yellow - orange bit you see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

Weve several lights which use 2 x G9 40W. While they are fine heat/arcing
wise ( the bulb holders are ceramic) they are terrible life wise.

Ive tried a few LED replacements which claimed to give an equivalent or
higher light output but none were even as good. All were 240V. Im still
hoping to find some, meanwhile I have a stock of 40W G9 bulbs and a ladder
handy.

As for the lamp holder, our G9 holder is secured by 2 small screws, visible
from the bulb position on some and the reverse ( back) on another one. You
can buy ceramic fittings on EBay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 19:27:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright than
halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often described as
stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why.

Mine arent when set to warm white.

Of COURSE they aren't, you auto-contradicting senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2020 08:46, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/03/2020 08:27, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright
than halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often
described as stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why.

Mine arent when set to warm white.

I actually quite like the 'whiter' light from some LEDs. Of course, it
isn't to everyone's taste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the plastic holder go brittle with age in any case. Not needing light
these days means I don't really have a view, but there do seem to be a lot
of people moaning about lights of late.
Brian

--
----- --

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think they choice of colour depends on the environment. In a kitchen or a
study where we need plenty of light and/or don't want it to be too restful,
we've got daylight white. In bedrooms and the lounge, we've either got warm
white, or else Philips Hue which can be set to a range of colours. The
shades of white from normal Philips Hue make a lot of sense: they go from
candle white (yellowish) to daylight shade (quite blue), with normal warm
white and daylight in between. I'm not sure it's worth spending extra to get
colour Philips Hue which have a much wider gamut of colours, ranging from
neutral white to very saturated colours.

The one problem with dimmable LEDs (certainly Philips Hue, and maybe other
ones) is that the dimmest setting is actually quite bright, if you want a
night light that can be left on to guide someone to the loo at night without
keeping them awake.

I'm not sure why it's not possible to reduce either the current (for
non-pulsed LEDs) or else the mark:space ratio (for pulsed
full-on-or-full-off LEDs) to make the light go even more dim. One day when I
can be arsed to do it, I'll measure the range of brightness in terms of
"stops" on a camera.

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
But people say, is there a setting that looks like halogen with that nice
hue to it.
Brian

--
----- --

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 09/03/2020 08:46, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/03/2020 08:27, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright
than halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often
described as stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why.

Mine arent when set to warm white.

I actually quite like the 'whiter' light from some LEDs. Of course, it
isn't to everyone's taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote

I think they choice of colour depends on the environment. In a kitchen or
a study where we need plenty of light and/or don't want it to be too
restful, we've got daylight white. In bedrooms and the lounge, we've
either got warm white, or else Philips Hue which can be set to a range of
colours. The shades of white from normal Philips Hue make a lot of sense:
they go from candle white (yellowish) to daylight shade (quite blue), with
normal warm white and daylight in between. I'm not sure it's worth
spending extra to get colour Philips Hue which have a much wider gamut of
colours, ranging from neutral white to very saturated colours.

Specially if you always use the one color and just want to
be able to select it very easily when setting it up initially.

The one problem with dimmable LEDs (certainly Philips Hue, and maybe other
ones) is that the dimmest setting is actually quite bright, if you want a
night light that can be left on to guide someone to the loo at night
without keeping them awake.

That’s trivially fixed with a movement sensor because
you can specify when it only uses a low level that you
can still see by, by time of night so you don’t get
dazzled or wake anyone else up.

I'm not sure why it's not possible to reduce either the current (for
non-pulsed LEDs)

They are in fact pulsed and you can see that by wagging
your finger between your eyes and the bulb with bulb on.

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 09/03/2020 08:46, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/03/2020 08:27, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Now according to people I talk to, its not that leds are less bright
than halogens, but the light is different in quality. It is often
described as stark or stressful, but maybe somebody can tell us why.

Mine arent when set to warm white.

I actually quite like the 'whiter' light from some LEDs. Of course, it
isn't to everyone's taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:41 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for SIX HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:41:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

09:41??? LMAO STILL not able to go back to sleep, you cretinous abnormal
senile pest?

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless