Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cash machines

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 11:56:35 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 11:23:54 UTC, ARW wrote:

Only ********s have cash machines with £5 notes in them.

I can get two pizzas and four bottles of beer from the Co-op for a fiver.

You can make pizzas for 10s of pence.
You can make alcohol from food waste or even paper.
From previous comments I'd not expect you to buy them from the coop

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/8/2020 3:01 PM, charles wrote:

If you go to a cash point in Scotland, you get Scottish notes.

The RBS in Inverness offers the option of English notes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 16:23:37 UTC, wrote:
You can make pizzas for 10s of pence.
You can make alcohol from food waste or even paper.
From previous comments I'd not expect you to buy them from the coop

I wouldn't normally, but a fiver's not bad for date night.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2020 15:01, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
...AND the ****s won't take Scottish notes.....

Which ****s?

charity shop ****s ...

Go round the corner to a bank and swap them then. Simples.

I've never had a problem with scottish notes in London. But then I
wouldn't arrive with a wallet full.

No doubt Jim does and tries every shop until he finds one that refuses
them. Seems to be his way of life.

If you go to a cash point in Scotland, you get Scottish notes.

But coins seem to be 'British'. Or are there special Scottish
£1 pound and £2 coins ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 08/03/2020 15:01, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
...AND the ****s won't take Scottish notes.....

Which ****s?

charity shop ****s ...

Go round the corner to a bank and swap them then. Simples.

I've never had a problem with scottish notes in London. But then I
wouldn't arrive with a wallet full.

No doubt Jim does and tries every shop until he finds one that refuses
them. Seems to be his way of life.

If you go to a cash point in Scotland, you get Scottish notes.

But coins seem to be 'British'. Or are there special Scottish
£1 pound and £2 coins ?.

This only applies to notes. NI banks also have their own notes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2020 12:50, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2020 12:16:50 +0000, Peter Johnson wrote:

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 15:04:08 +0000, Jim Stewart
wrote:

is there a problem with your englash cash machines ... in Workington
today which is a ******** anyway and the machine gave me £100 in bloody
fivers....those plastic twenties causing trouble ?...AND the ****s won't
take Scottish notes.....

A long time ago a NatWest machine gave me £100 in £1 notes.

Even longer ago, a NatWest machine regularly gave me ten £1 notes in a
paper packet. And they posted the card back to me for re-use.

If that's the same as I remember my dad using, the card had punched
holes instead of a magnetic stripe.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

is there a problem with your englash cash machines ... in Workington
today which is a ******** anyway and the machine gave me £100 in
bloody fivers....those plastic twenties causing trouble ?...AND the
****s won't take Scottish notes.....

A long time ago a NatWest machine gave me £100 in £1 notes.

Even longer ago, a NatWest machine regularly gave me ten £1 notes in a
paper packet. And they posted the card back to me for re-use.

If that's the same as I remember my dad using, the card had punched
holes instead of a magnetic stripe.

SteveW

That's correct. Three or four large holes, and a set of small ones
identical to a short length of paper tape (8 data bits, and even the
sprocket holes).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 12:41:51 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Of course we know what a fiver is. Ideal for tipping with.

Will a fiver even buy a drink in London these days?

Saw something giving the price of a pint of 'beer' in pubs close to
underground stations. Ranged from about 2-6 quid. Tourists, of course,
think West End prices must be the same everywhere in London. ;-)

Northerners have to look up what tipping means.

It's what rain does.

Owain

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/03/2020 13:58, Jim Stewart wrote:
On 08/03/2020 11:23, ARW wrote:
On 07/03/2020 15:04, Jim Stewart wrote:
is there a problem with your englash cash machines ... in Workington
today which is a ******** anyway and the machine gave me £100 in
bloody fivers....those plastic twenties causing trouble ?...AND the
****s won't take Scottish notes.....

Only ********s have cash machines with £5 notes in them.

Asda is a ********?....well Workington and Whitehaven are **** holes you
are correct...

Try Blackpool.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 7:29:49 PM UTC, nightjar wrote:
On 07/03/2020 18:15, alan_m wrote:
On 07/03/2020 15:04, Jim Stewart wrote:

..AND the ****s won't take Scottish notes.....

That's because most people have never seen one and cannot tell if a
forgery or not.

More probably because a few years back there was a spate of forged
Scottish £20 notes being passed in England precisely because most people
there didn't know what a real one looked like.

I was in Bradford some years ago (visiting the National Science and Media Museum, so I had a legitimate reason for being in the rancid ********) and had a Scottish fiver refused in a branch of WH Smith. First **** held it up and said to second **** "do we take these?". Second **** barely glanced at it and said "no we don't".

Spent it at a nearby motorway services (ironically in a WH Smith outlet) and the assistant never gave it a second glance.

Moral of the story is stay out of Bradford, it's a ********. Where else would you see a child on a street playing with a laser pointer by flashing it at passing motorists?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 12:41:51 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Londoners ask:

- what's a Co-op?
- what's a fiver?

Of course we know what a fiver is. Ideal for tipping with.

Northerners have to look up what tipping means.

Is it something like tupping? Might explain why the waitress got annoyed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was in Bradford some years ago (visiting the National Science and Media Museum, so I had a legitimate reason for being in the rancid ********) and had a Scottish fiver refused in a branch of WH Smith. First **** held it up and said to second **** "do we take these?". Second **** barely glanced at it and said "no we don't".

Where do you live as a matter of interest - just so I can steer clear of the place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 09:34:17 UTC, alan_m wrote:
In my experience the co-op chain of shops are the most expensive places
to buy anything even in the ******** areas of the country.

A strange mix between Premier/Spar and Waitrose.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 09:38:30 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
And I spent quite a while doing a lot of shopping in ouyr local one. I
had over £400 in reward points to use up, after MIL's funeral

Beer and pizza for 160, quite a respectable wake.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 19:12:26 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 08/03/2020 15:01, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
...AND the ****s won't take Scottish notes.....

Which ****s?

charity shop ****s ...

Go round the corner to a bank and swap them then. Simples.

I've never had a problem with scottish notes in London. But then I
wouldn't arrive with a wallet full.

No doubt Jim does and tries every shop until he finds one that refuses
them. Seems to be his way of life.

If you go to a cash point in Scotland, you get Scottish notes.

But coins seem to be 'British'. Or are there special Scottish
£1 pound and £2 coins ?.

I've got a lady di £5 coin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 11:56:35 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 11:23:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
Only ********s have cash machines with £5 notes in them.

I can get two pizzas and four bottles of beer from the Co-op for a fiver.

Londoners ask:

- what's a Co-op?
- what's a fiver?

Owain

We have two co-ops within walking distance from the uni, basically one at each end of the campus.

I usually get a meal deal and a cake for under a fiver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 March 2020 15:43:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

https://londonist.com/london/transpo...t-pub-stations

Northerners have to look up what tipping means.

It's what rain does.

Owain

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:00 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 02:00:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:00 am in Australia??? AGAIN, you clinically insane sociopathic
Arsetralian asshole troll? LOL

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
ATM. If it's the smaller Coop then if it's anything like Barnsley then
they change names that often you are never sure what it will be the
next time you call in that local shop.

For some reason Costcutter, Budgens, McColls and the smaller Coops seem
to rotate premises on a regular basis.

Our local Budgen's is a franchise, rather than a fully owned shop. If
the others you list also do franchises, that might account for the name
changes.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 10th 05 03:42 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 03:40 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 4th 05 02:56 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 4th 05 01:02 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Home Ownership 0 January 3rd 05 07:51 AM