Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dash now

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 08/03/2020 15:51, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 10:01:19 +0000, Pancho wrote:

On 07/03/2020 12:39, Pancho wrote:
On 07/03/2020 09:54, Pancho wrote:

Vodka go upto 95%

No. 95 proof possibly - about 46%

although you can but almost pure alcohol industrially or commercially
its blended down sub 50% for human consumption

Nyet! I meant 95% ABV.

I remember proof from a long time ago, I don't think I have seen it
used recently.
Point me to a place where 95% vodka is on retail sale or I'll call you
liar.

Sigh!, 2 minutes google.

https://drizly.com/liquor/vodka/stawski-luksusowy-192-proof-spirytus/p68164

The whiskey I originally linked to is 60% ABV. Which is in the alcohol
range of hand sanitizers.

76% alcohol is 133° proof (Navy gin is 57% to meet the 100° proof
required
so that it doesn't stop gunpowder from burning).
The highest proof is 175° - 100% alcohol, but that don't come in bottles
in
shops.

Heh heh. we had 2-litre winchester bottles of pure lab grade ethanol,

There is no such thing. Whats called absolute alcohol
isn't pure, it has some residual benzene in it because
that is used to get rid of the last of the water.

There is also SVR which is nothing but ethanol and water.
SVR is spiritus vini rect which is just latin for distilled spirits.

plus several others with methanol, and ethanol with less than 100%
pure for fixing blood and bone marrow slides and other in-vitro lab
tests.

Every year the Dean of the medical school had to warn the new students
not to try and pally up to the female lab technicians, in the hope of
something to enhance their normal source of alcohol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 09:05:38 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

....nothing's left!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2020 19:46, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Jim Stewart wrote:
unusual you can leave old cars about a month and they start right
up...shows great strength of character....I have found more modern cars
don't ....

That's assuming that old car hasn't been pinched due to not having an
alarm/immobiliser, of course.

I once left my Astra F (1998) estate for 7 weeks without starting it.
It turned over slightly slower than normal but burst into life
just like I had left it overnight.

I had to charge the battery to move my camper, but it started right up
after 15 months

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
#Paul wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
What is one supposed to do with a toilet roll that helps
avoid a viral infection? ... or shouldn't I ask?

Getting extra toilet roll doesn't help avoid a viral infection. It
helps you and your family avoid running out of toilet roll during
an unscheduled covid-19 induced two week isolation period.

If it gets that serious running out of toilet roll is going to be the
least of our worries isn't it?

Given that happened in both China and Italy, what makes you assume it
could never happen here?

It would be silly stocking up on perishables. But pre-buying things like
toilet rolls is what many do anyway.

Not much nutritional value in a toilet roll. YMMV of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 07/03/2020 18:55, turnipt ****er wrote:

On 07/03/2020 09:54, Pancho wrote:

Vodka go upto 95%

No. 95 proof possibly - about 46%

although you can but almost pure alcohol industrially or commercially
its blended down sub 50% for human consumption

Not always, some yank states allow the sale of 98%
ethanol for human consumption and so does china.
Mate of mine was sold some in china in January in china.

****ing hooray! It was wanton consumption of anything that one could
swallow in China that has allegedly got us to where we are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"Richard" wrote in message
On 07/03/2020 18:55, turnipt ****er wrote:

On 07/03/2020 09:54, Pancho wrote:

Vodka go upto 95%

No. 95 proof possibly - about 46%

although you can but almost pure alcohol industrially or commercially
its blended down sub 50% for human consumption

Not always, some yank states allow the sale of 98%
ethanol for human consumption and so does china.
Mate of mine was sold some in china in January in china.

****ing hooray! It was wanton consumption of anything that one could
swallow in China that has allegedly got us to where we are.

But it remains to be seen if that is the problem this time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:
unusual you can leave old cars about a month and they start right
up...shows great strength of character....I have found more modern cars
don't ....

That's assuming that old car hasn't been pinched due to not having an
alarm/immobiliser, of course.

I once left my Astra F (1998) estate for 7 weeks without starting it.
It turned over slightly slower than normal but burst into life
just like I had left it overnight.

Did it have an alarm?

Modern cars tend to and even those which dont tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV, a very good car Id recommend, but it didnt like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks if not
driven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 17:41:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

****ing hooray! It was wanton consumption of anything that one could
swallow in China that has allegedly got us to where we are.

But it remains to be seen if that is the problem this time.

....and the senile asshole's auto-contradicting continues ...ALL the time!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2020 08:10, Brian Reay wrote:
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:
unusual you can leave old cars about a month and they start right
up...shows great strength of character....I have found more modern cars
don't ....

That's assuming that old car hasn't been pinched due to not having an
alarm/immobiliser, of course.

I once left my Astra F (1998) estate for 7 weeks without starting it.
It turned over slightly slower than normal but burst into life
just like I had left it overnight.

Did it have an alarm?

Manufacturers immobiliser that showed a low-blink red led on the
dash. They didn't have remote locking/unlocking, you had to use
the key which then (un)locked all the other doors.

Modern cars tend to and even those which dont tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV, a very good car Id recommend, but it didnt like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks if not
driven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John_j wrote:
Don't most sensible people? Buy such things when on the best offer?

Yeah, I hardly ever buy anything at full price.

Just last week bought 15 500g packs of frozen peas and corn and
capsicums that regularly show up at less than half price, enough to
fill a whole of a freezer drawer given the 5 unused it still had in it.

God knows why they keep having specials like that,
they have a best by date in 2022 and we regularly
get that particular offer, and it isnt in aldi or lidl either,
the mainstream supermarkets all do it. Birdseye brand too.

Kit-Kat always seems to be on offer. Might be the two bar type one week,
the four bar next, and various pack sizes. Meaning you'd never pay the so
called full price if shopping sensibly. Quite a few products around that
do much the same.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I would avoid any hospital or GP practice that has air-con because
there is some suspicion that the virus can travel through the HVAC
system.

Bit difficult if you have pre-arranged hospital appointments that were
made months in advance. Lose your place in the system, and you can have a
long wait to get back in.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
Not always, some yank states allow the sale of 98%
ethanol for human consumption and so does china.
Mate of mine was sold some in china in January in china.

****ing hooray! It was wanton consumption of anything that one could
swallow in China that has allegedly got us to where we are.

The US seems perfectly happy to make feeding your habit as easy as
possible. But treatment for the subsequent addicts, expensive. Just what
you'd expect when drug companies rule the economy.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2020 08:10, Brian Reay wrote:
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:
unusual you can leave old cars about a month and they start right
up...shows great strength of character....I have found more modern cars
don't ....

That's assuming that old car hasn't been pinched due to not having an
alarm/immobiliser, of course.

I once left my Astra F (1998) estate for 7 weeks without starting it.
It turned over slightly slower than normal but burst into life
just like I had left it overnight.

Did it have an alarm?

Modern cars tend to and even those which dont tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV, a very good car Id recommend, but it didnt like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks if not
driven.

hate that
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/03/2020 11:29, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 10:31:56 +0000, Jim Stewart wrote:

Home bargains in Hawick has hand sanitiser two bottles per
customer.......

Just bveen down to Aldi. Stripped bare of the large packs of loo rolls
and a few other things.

I bought my monthly donation to the food bank (a trolley load) and
someone apparently said I was panic buying. The staff soon put them right.

I can only assume that you were accused of panic buying because most of
the items were very similar. Most trolleys in Aldi are filled to the
brim when even there is no virus panic.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Modern cars tend to and even those which don‘t tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV, a very good car I‘d recommend, but it didn‘t like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks if not
driven.

hate that

Then you must hate having things like remote locking and unlocking, and a
half decent radio.

4 to 5 weeks is actually quite good. If you wish to leave it longer,
disconnect the battery.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Modern cars tend to and even those which don't tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV, a very good car I'd recommend, but it didn't like
being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks if
not
driven.

hate that

Then you must hate having things like remote locking and unlocking, and a
half decent radio.

Or have a more decent radio that keeps stuff in NVRam
and a better design that requires the use of the key when
the ECU has decided that its been a while since the car was
last started and turns off the remote locking and unlocking.

4 to 5 weeks is actually quite good. If you wish to leave it longer,
disconnect the battery.

**** that, I'd rather use the key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Modern cars tend to and even those which don't tend to have electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV,Â* a very good car I'd recommend, but it didn't
like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks
if not
driven.

hate that

Then you must hate having things like remote locking and unlocking, and a
half decent radio.

Or have a more decent radio that keeps stuff in NVRam
and a better design that requires the use of the key when
the ECU has decided that its been a while since the car was
last started and turns off the remote locking and unlocking.

4 to 5 weeks is actually quite good. If you wish to leave it longer,
disconnect the battery.

**** that, I'd rather use the key.

some don't have a key and that is really stupid ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Although my new car does have an ignition key, at first I thought it had
no key-holes in the door handles. Only after reading TFM did I find out
that it does - but they are covered up with plastic shells, which you
have to prise off if you ever need to use them.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 08:37, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 10/03/2020 00:43, John_j wrote:
Â* "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Modern cars tend to and even those which don't tend to have
electronic
gubbins which still draw current, even when the ignition is off.

I had a Honda CRV,Â* a very good car I'd recommend, but it didn't
like being
left standing- the battery would discharge after about 4 / 5 weeks
if not
driven.

hate that

Then you must hate having things like remote locking and unlocking,
and a
half decent radio.
Â*Or have a more decent radio that keeps stuff in NVRam

Â***** that, I'd rather use the key.

some don't have a key and that is really stupid ....

Although my new car does have an ignition key, at first I thought it had
no key-holes in the door handles. Only after reading TFM did I find out
that it does - but they are covered up with plastic shells, which you
have to prise off if you ever need to use them.

by then they have rusted up ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 11:43 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for EIGHT HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 11:43:14 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

11:43??? So, you've been trolling ALL NIGHT and ALL MORNING, yet again, you
clinically insane senile pest! LOL

I always KNEW you weren't right in the head, senile Rodent! LOL

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 18:36:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

some don't have a key and that is really stupid ....

Yep.

YOU considering someone ELSE stupid, senile Rodent? YOUUUU? LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John_j wrote:
Then you must hate having things like remote locking and unlocking, and a
half decent radio.

Or have a more decent radio that keeps stuff in NVRam
and a better design that requires the use of the key when
the ECU has decided that its been a while since the car was
last started and turns off the remote locking and unlocking.

4 to 5 weeks is actually quite good. If you wish to leave it longer,
disconnect the battery.

**** that, I'd rather use the key.

Love the way so many say 'I can't disconnect the battery, because the
engine ECU etc will lose all data' Then leave it connected so it goes
flat. So not only do you lose the data, but need a new battery too. A win
win situation. ;-)

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson writes:

Although my new car does have an ignition key, at first I thought it
had no key-holes in the door handles. Only after reading TFM did I
find out that it does - but they are covered up with plastic shells,
which you have to prise off if you ever need to use them.

On Sunday I went caving up at Ribblehead. Got back to the car, couldn't
feel my fingers, car remote wouldn't work. Fortunately, I'd read the
instruction manual and remembered that there is a tiny slot on the
underside of a shell at the rear of the driver's door handle, into which
you push the key to pop it off. My fingers were so numb I had then
difficulty turning the key.

I presume that the cold had affected the button cell in the remote, it
had no problem working later on.

CR2032's come in a wide range of prices: several for a pound from a
cheap shop, 2 for £4.50 from Asda. Does anyone know how much difference
there is between a brand name one and cheap ones, in terms of low
temperature performance?

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Bull****, they arent steel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:30 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 01:30:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

Hi, you clinically insane 86-year-old senile pest! 01:30???
BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2020 19:50, Andrew wrote:

I would avoid any hospital or GP practice that has air-con because
there is some suspicion that the virus can travel through the HVAC
system.

I had to ring my GP surgery this morning about a missing repeat
prescription. First I got the long pre-recorded message about
Coronavirus which basically said if you have symptoms the last thing you
should do is to actually turn up at the surgery.

The surgery online appointment page now says

Due to the Coronavirus, and for the foreseeable future, ALL surgeries
have been advised to stop Online Booking Face to Face appointments. We
have therefore changed our Online Face to Face appointments to Telephone
appointments. This means that the Clinician will call you first and
hopefully resolve your medical query over the phone. Should the
Clinician decide that you do need to be seen, and it is safe to do so,
they will book you a face to face appointment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2020 22:07, alan_m wrote:
On 08/03/2020 19:50, Andrew wrote:

I would avoid any hospital or GP practice that has air-con because
there is some suspicion that the virus can travel through the HVAC
system.

I had to ring my GP surgery this morning about a missing repeat
prescription.Â* First I got the long pre-recorded message about
Coronavirus which basically said if you have symptoms the last thing you
should do is to actually turn up at the surgery.

The surgery online appointment page now says

Due to the Coronavirus, and for the foreseeable future, ALL surgeries
have been advised to stop Online Booking Face to Face appointments. We
have therefore changed our Online Face to Face appointments to Telephone
appointments. This means that the Clinician will call you first and
hopefully resolve your medical query over the phone. Should the
Clinician decide that you do need to be seen, and it is safe to do so,
they will book you a face to face appointment.

There should be more of that anyway. On Tuesday, last week, I had to
take the afternoon off to take my wife to a hospital appointment with a
neurologist. I lost an afternoon's pay; we struggled to park, with big
queues waiting to get into the already full car parks; my disabled wife
struggled to walk the distance necessary; we waited for about 45
minutes, while being exposed to God knows what and all so the
neurologist could ask, have you had any more problems, "No", and for
hime to then discharge her.

SteveW

Super glue on a car dash Dave UK diy 12 March 1st 05 11:01 AM
GM digtial dash round #1 BOB URZ Electronics Repair 2 February 17th 05 11:39 AM
GM digital dash BOB URZ Electronics Repair 8 February 14th 05 03:43 AM
Fixing flashing tape to pebble dash. andrewpreece UK diy 2 February 7th 05 06:48 PM
Slurry Dash. TOM UK diy 5 July 8th 04 01:45 AM