DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old foundations for new extension? - Building Control (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/645001-old-foundations-new-extension-building-control.html)

George Miles February 27th 20 11:54 AM

Old foundations for new extension? - Building Control

I have an idea to put a new roof on a small outbuilding,
and span from it to the main house,
this would much improve insulation and light.

Planning are only about where the walls go I think?

But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?

Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?

Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

George

Jim GM4DHJ ... February 27th 20 12:12 PM

On 27/02/2020 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have an idea to put a new roof on a small outbuilding,
and span from it to the main house,
this would much improve insulation and light.

Planning are only about where the walls go I think?

But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?

Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?

Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

George

get a cheap engineer to look into it and satisfy Building Standards
.....we had plenty of people who assumed everything would be OK at
Building Warrant stage then found he had to redo all the founds ofout
buildings/garages they were intending to build off of...

[email protected] February 27th 20 12:22 PM

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 11:54:40 UTC, George Miles wrote:
But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?
Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?
Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

Structural engineer and a trial pit to determine soil type and existing foundations (if any)

If it's a non-habitable outbuilding and a covered passage between that and the house it won't have to meet full BRegs anyway.

And Planning are concerned with roofs as well as walls.

Owain

Graham.[_13_] February 27th 20 01:41 PM

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 27/02/2020 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have an idea to put a new roof on a small outbuilding,
and span from it to the main house,
this would much improve insulation and light.

Planning are only about where the walls go I think?

But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?

Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?

Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

George

get a cheap engineer to look into it and satisfy Building Standards
....we had plenty of people who assumed everything would be OK at
Building Warrant stage then found he had to redo all the founds ofout
buildings/garages they were intending to build off of...

Off of what?
The crystal chandeliers?
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 27th 20 03:09 PM

Old foundations for new extension? - Building Control

Its called an infill extension and is done a lot.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Jimk February 27th 20 03:23 PM

Old foundations for new extension? - Building Control

Not if it's only a roof...

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" Wrote in message:
Its called an infill extension and is done a lot.
Brian

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jimk February 27th 20 03:25 PM

George Miles Wrote in message:
I have an idea to put a new roof on a small outbuilding,
and span from it to the main house,
this would much improve insulation and light.

Planning are only about where the walls go I think?

But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?

Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?

Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

George

What sort of roof? Polycarbonate? Or?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jim GM4DHJ ... February 27th 20 05:55 PM

On 27/02/2020 13:31, Graham. wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 27/02/2020 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have an idea to put a new roof on a small outbuilding,
and span from it to the main house,
this would much improve insulation and light.

Planning are only about where the walls go I think?

But would Building Control let me use the existing walls
with whatever foundation they do or dont have?

Would I have to get a surveyor to do some sums?

Or must I demolish everything and rebuild?

George

get a cheap engineer to look into it and satisfy Building Standards
....we had plenty of people who assumed everything would be OK at
Building Warrant stage then found he had to redo all the founds ofout
buildings/garages they were intending to build off of...

Off of what?
The crystal chandeliers?

I like that phrase...I know it's not correct but I like it...tee hee

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 27th 20 07:06 PM

Old foundations for new extension? - Building Control

Well, that very much depends on the rest of the building and how it was
built I guess.

Certainly, I see a lot of applications pass by, and some of the buildings
are places I have been.
Brian

--
----- --