Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yet another smart meter question

On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?

My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
scribeth thus
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:41:27 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?

My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Except by then there'll be such a demand for electricity, midnight to
seven AM, it'll no longer be 'economy'. Might even be more expensive!

Its not "taxed" as yet for car use is it?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark Carver
writes
On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?

My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Is it still the case that if you have E7 your daytime elec becomes more
expensive so small usage saves little.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 15:49, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:28:35 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
writes
On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?
My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Is it still the case that if you have E7 your daytime elec becomes more
expensive so small usage saves little.

It was in my last property, but that was two years ago. I reckoned we
just about broke even - washing machine, dishwasher and immersion
heater all on E7, but there were just the two of us so not a lot of
use of any of those, and gas CH. A big family, lots of laundry, dishes
and hot water for bathing etc, might be worth it, but probably not,
otherwise.

I did the sums the other day (we have a dual rate meter here - but no
sensible use for it). Relatively high electrical use (about 25 kWh/day,
7/night). And estimate its probably costing about £120/year extra over a
single rate meter when you take into accounts the slightly higher day
rate and standing charge. I could never quite understand why they
insisted on using a split rate tariff just because the meter can measure
that way. I have a suspicion that if I ask them to change it they will
only offer s smart meter.

(some years back they tried to convince me that the registers on the
meter were configure the wrong way around - and wanted to swap them.
That would have been a fairly substantial refund! I managed to convince
them in the end, since I did not trust they would not come back in n
years time and demand a massive back payment)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I did the sums the other day (we have a dual rate meter here - but no
sensible use for it). Relatively high electrical use (about 25 kWh/day,
7/night). And estimate its probably costing about £120/year extra over a
single rate meter when you take into accounts the slightly higher day
rate and standing charge. I could never quite understand why they
insisted on using a split rate tariff just because the meter can measure
that way. I have a suspicion that if I ask them to change it they will
only offer s smart meter.

As I have said here previously, my off-peak usage is about 30%,
and ever since I started keeping records nearly 30 years ago, E7
has been cheaper than a standard tariff, generally by about £4
per month.

However when my Tonic deal was expiring, I looked at the usual
comparisons and found that the dual fuel non-E7 tariff Avro are
offering, compared with my previous good deal from Tonik, reduces
my electricity costs slightly and my gas costs quite a bit, and
the daily charge is also less.

They simply apply the same tariff to both readings, absolutely no
call for a meter change. It may be worth your while looking at
the numbers.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Some providers (Octupus Energy is one, but not unique) will offer you a
standard tariff even though you continue to provide them with both
readings, just by adding them. Other providers' software can't cope.

(some years back they tried to convince me that the registers on the
meter were configure the wrong way around - and wanted to swap them.
That would have been a fairly substantial refund! I managed to convince
them in the end, since I did not trust they would not come back in n
years time and demand a massive back payment)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:54:51 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?

In the future, car charging !?

Except by then there'll be such a demand for electricity,

midnight to
seven AM, it'll no longer be 'economy'. Might even be more

expensive!

Its not "taxed" as yet for car use is it?..

Which is another "little problem" with going to electric cars. HMG
gets *a lot* of money from fuel duty and the VAT on it. Not only does
the electricty need to come from some where, so does that money.

Dunno. Don't see how it can be taxed at home over and above existing
electricity use, at least until smart meters become universal. On a
forecourt or local supermarket car park, it might be.

Not convinced a Smart Meter helps at all. They may have multiple
registers but as it's can only measure the whole supply how can it
know that x kW is going to the car and y kW to the house and/or
storeage heating?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Similarly a smart meter can't tell the difference between
charging a car and charging a household battery pack used just to spread
the load and take advantage of a variable tariff.

Will be interesting to see if the new Transport Select Committee goes
ahead with their predecessors' planned inquiry this year into options to
replace the £40 billion from taxes on fuel and from VED - road pricing,
congestion zones, workplace parking charges etc.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Indeed. Similarly a smart meter can't tell the difference between
charging a car and charging a household battery pack used just to spread
the load and take advantage of a variable tariff.

Will be interesting to see if the new Transport Select Committee goes
ahead with their predecessors' planned inquiry this year into options to
replace the £40 billion from taxes on fuel and from VED - road pricing,
congestion zones, workplace parking charges etc.

Yes thats going to be really interesting having an impact on climate
change with pressing Joe Publick to convert to leccy cars.

And seeings how the UK power supply industry is so very marginal and no
new tech coming along apart from the Rolls Royce modular Nuke concept
gonna be interesting times;!!

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 12:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:08:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Separate metering perhaps, rather like E7 is separately metered, but
by location rather than time, say in the garage or wherever, talking
to the smart meter?

I thought current smart meters only recorded /time/ of use with no
facility to record /what/ consumed it. But there's a prior question as
to whether the public will accept a tax on - say - electricity for the
car that gets a nurse or teacher to work but not on electricity for a
heated swimming pool. Interesting times for fiscal wonks.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will be interesting to see if the new Transport Select Committee goes
ahead with their predecessors' planned inquiry this year into options to
replace the £40 billion from taxes on fuel and from VED - road pricing,
congestion zones, workplace parking charges etc.

There's a lot more **** in the pipe about electric cars - and probably
the biggest reason they will struggle to take off in the UK, as they'll
kill house prices dead.

It's already been hinted at, but where are all these smart cars going to
be parked when they charge off your domestic supply ? That is those that
belong to people who have no off-road parking ?

Because unless you get a reserved road space (remember this is a *public*
road) then you won't be able to guarantee charging your car.

Of course it's a simple stroke of a pen to bring in road markings and
laws to only allow the owner of the registered car to park in that space
when charging. But that's about as likely as the UKs space programme
putting a man on the moon - ever.

Dunno.. Theres a a lot of terraced houses here, a street lamp stylee
post charger outlet may have to become the norm so instead of fighting
over a parking space it'll be power!

Course a lot of digging for higher capacity cabling and distribution
system alternation to be made but looks like the power industry might be
a good career choice

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

tony sayer wrote:

Its not "taxed" as yet for car use is it?..

Dunno. Don't see how it can be taxed at home over and above existing
electricity use, at least until smart meters become universal.

Not taxed, but the screw is starting to be turned on pricing ...

TfL funds LEVC taxis and charging points, but at Heathrow they're so
expensive per kWh, that the cabbies fill up on petrol and re-charge via
the range-extender

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/heathrow-electric-taxi-charge-point-prices-spiral-forcing-cabbies-to-run-off-of-petrol-engines

Ionity chargers (owned by Ford/BMW/VW/Merc) recently raised their "rack
rate" for motorway fast-charging to 66p/kWh

https://insideevs.com/news/393393/ionity-announced-a-kwh-based-pricing-scheme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

Dunno, our street lamps are spaced out far too
far to be viable for electric car charging. Must be
something like one every 10 houses and our houses
are much wider than your terrace houses.

Tho I spose bollards between every 2 car park spots would work.

Course a lot of digging for higher capacity cabling and
distribution system alternation to be made but looks
like the power industry might be a good career choice

Dunno, I cant see the ban on ic cars working.

Bet it get scrapped when everyone is told they have
to buy an electric car and sack the govt that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 10:34 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:34:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

10:34??? LMAO What is your psychiatrists' official diagnosis of your mental
state, eh, senile Rodent ...apart from the fact that you are a full-scale
sociopath?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 09:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

The meter actually shows three sets of readings anyway - register 1, 2,
and total.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

My (electromechanical) one doesn't.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 14:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

Because unless you get a reserved road space (remember this is a *public*
road) then you won't be able to guarantee charging your car.

The impression I got when a Government minister was outlining the plans
for the electric car revolution was that it was assumed that everyone
had off road parking where they could charge their cars each night.

While watching a video recently on the reuse of batteries from written
off electric cars I got the impression that the packs contained some
record of how many times the battery had been re-charged and if it was a
slow or fast charge. It seemed that fast charging was not too good for
the life of the battery and could effect its second had value.

If this true I wonder how it would effect the second hand value of
working electric car. It wouldn't necessarily be the age and mileage
that determines the value but how the car is regularly charged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 16:58, tony sayer wrote:

Course a lot of digging for higher capacity cabling and distribution
system alternation to be made but looks like the power industry might be
a good career choice

Around my way a lot of roads are closed for 6 weeks at a time while the
gas pipes are replaced or re-lined. This has been going on for a couple
of decades. If a majority of roads in towns have got to be dug up for
additional electric supplies connected to road side metres how long is
it going to take to complete the work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 09:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I just ran my numbers and they offered a
similar dual fuel deal to that which you describe, at an estimated
annual saving of around £980 :-)

Based on their pricing my annual electric daytime cost would go down
£740, Night time would rise by £71, and gas would fall by £313 (and
those are figures with the standing charged factored in). So let's see
if they can manage to do the transfer, and if EDF cough up the credit
amount they are currently sitting on promptly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
writes

wrote:

On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?
My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Except by then there'll be such a demand for electricity, midnight to
seven AM, it'll no longer be 'economy'. Might even be more expensive!

Its not "taxed" as yet for car use is it?..

Dunno. Don't see how it can be taxed at home over and above existing
electricity use, at least until smart meters become universal. On a
forecourt or local supermarket car park, it might be. Someone like
Harry with an e-car might know.

Syntax error.
"Harry" and "know" can not be used in the same sentence unless followed
by "nothing".
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

That sounds great, glad to help.

I am really not happy about the way one almost has to game the
system to keep on a good tariff. It is a bit like the way you
have to keep such a close eye on supermarket pricing, and those
who most need to make a saving probably have the least time,
inclination and ability to do the maths.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

That's very arguable with those who need to do it much
more likely not working and so with plenty of free time.
Same with the retired who were too silly to make decent
provision for their time past working.

inclination

Ditto.

and ability to do the maths.

No real maths involved with supermarket price.

Certainly electricity supplier is more complicated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 05:21:20 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

That's very arguable

What is NOT "arguable" for you, you auto-contradicting senile pest? LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2020 08:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I think there is an element of "beware what you wish for"...

Having markets and competition will to some extent help keep the price
down overall, and also allow suppliers to target particular niche
sectors and carve out a speciality that can build a reputation on.

However it all leads to the next phase when everyone wants to have easy
"no hassle" switching. So building in some portfolio complexity probably
adds a bit of customer inertia - since if they are nor sure of the best
course of action, no action is the easiest option.

Since the only way to get a new customer in a fully developed market is
to churn one from another supplier, you then create the ideal breading
ground for the comparison sites to come alone and act as king makers
(for there share obviously)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:20:29 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

The meter actually shows three sets of readings anyway - register

1, 2,
and total.

My (electromechanical) one doesn't.

Niether does our electronic multirate meter, unless the total is
stuck on 888888.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:20:29 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

The meter actually shows three sets of readings anyway - register

1, 2,
and total.

My (electromechanical) one doesn't.

Niether does our electronic multirate meter, unless the total is
stuck on 888888.

A lot depends upon how they have chosen to set it up. What the
meter is capable of and how it is configured to perform are
different issues.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK