Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glazing panel doors

I'm proposing to replace a couple of small plywood doors (serving hatch)
with framed glazed doors. I intend to make the frame from softwood and
glaze the door with 3mm perspex. I'll cut a groove in the wood using a
router and then stick the mitred frame together around the perspex
panel. So to the question - is it better to just cut a 3mm channel and
not bother with glazing silicone, or should it be a (say) 4mm channel
and mount the perspex with some glazing silicone? I've not made
something like this before, glazed lots of glass windows, etc but no
experience with Perspex which I'll use for reasons of safety, cost and
weight.

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't use Perspex, maybe polycarbonate, but to me I'd want to make it so its
easy to get the transparent part out for when it cracks, as they usually do
either by human error or age.
Brian

Don't see any need for any "goo" if it is a snug fit. I like
polycarbonate too but assuming it is out of direct sunlight (and since
it should not see mechanical abuse) I reckon perspex would be OK as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
Don't use Perspex, maybe polycarbonate, but to me I'd want to make it so its
easy to get the transparent part out for when it cracks, as they usually do
either by human error or age.
Brian

Don't see any need for any "goo" if it is a snug fit. I like
polycarbonate too but assuming it is out of direct sunlight (and since
it should not see mechanical abuse) I reckon perspex would be OK as well.

Abuse as in "kerleaning"? Hmmm....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 16:54, Jimk wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
Don't use Perspex, maybe polycarbonate, but to me I'd want to make it so its
easy to get the transparent part out for when it cracks, as they usually do
either by human error or age.
Brian

Don't see any need for any "goo" if it is a snug fit. I like
polycarbonate too but assuming it is out of direct sunlight (and since
it should not see mechanical abuse) I reckon perspex would be OK as well.

Abuse as in "kerleaning"? Hmmm....

Sorry, I should have realised that my loose terminology would be picked
up. I do intend to use Polycarbonate, but the question still stands. The
doors won't be in direct sunlight and shouldn't be subject to abuse
John M

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Miller wrote:
I'm proposing to replace a couple of small plywood doors (serving hatch)
with framed glazed doors. I intend to make the frame from softwood and
glaze the door with 3mm perspex. I'll cut a groove in the wood using a
router and then stick the mitred frame together around the perspex
panel. So to the question - is it better to just cut a 3mm channel and
not bother with glazing silicone, or should it be a (say) 4mm channel
and mount the perspex with some glazing silicone? I've not made
something like this before, glazed lots of glass windows, etc but no
experience with Perspex which I'll use for reasons of safety, cost and
weight.

Perspex will scratch all too readily. Would the weight of toughened glass
really matter?

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doors doors doors Ian[_6_] UK diy 8 July 19th 09 12:17 PM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
doors doors doors, where to get big ones! Thomarse UK diy 18 July 20th 07 07:31 PM