Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sky Q and many channels at once - how does it work?

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:50:18 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:24:22 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

How do they put H and V polarized channels onto the same cable?

Different frequencies, modulation, multiplexing and others (I
suspect). [1]

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's

It's not stealing, it's making use of them.

Only if you don't destroy them if present?

But nobody uses UHF any more. And as for radio, come on, that was superceded by TV decades ago. The sooner all yapping DJs are stoned to death the better. And put it on TV, not radio, so we can actually see what's going on.

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

ROFL! I see flats around here with one dish per flat. I'd fit an octa-LNB to each dish and serve 4 flats each.

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

If I wanted to stop Sky, I'd just change the LNB back to whatever was needed by the new service.

'Just' may not be so easy if it's on the roof or a 3rd+ floor flat and
assuming your replacement LNB fitted the bracket etc?

You buy the bracket with the LNB, big deal, probably costs a fraction of the LNB.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Over 40 years ago I was bench repairing TDM and PCM equipment (BT)
that put say ~30 simultaneous telephone calls down one pair of copper
wire. And later (Different Co) kit that would often 'effectively'
compress 4 x 48K datalinks into 1 x 48k link. ;-)

It's a different story when you have 1000s of people getting data along one route. But inside your house, FFS just use more cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0f3vewswwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:39:18 -0000, alan_m wrote:

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two
possible
polarisations surely?

It's only sky that needs two cables. Other wideband (unicable) LNBs
connected to the appropriate tuners only require a single cable, and the
signal can be split.

How do they put H and V polarized channels onto the same cable?

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's

It's not stealing, it's making use of them.

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the
same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that?

Makes it a lot easier to distribute around the house
to the various places you watch TV like the main rooms
and the kids bedrooms and the main bedroom etc.

I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each.

But don't have kids with their own bedrooms.

I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then
trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Not when you want what arrives at
the house available thruout the house.

Lot less hassle than multiple cables
to all the places you have a TV etc.

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

If I wanted to stop Sky, I'd just change the LNB back to whatever was
needed by the new service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0f3yb0x3wdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:55:37 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 17/02/2020 00:24, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

We have four cables from the LNB and one (combined) from the terrestrial
aerial and FM aerial (on the same pole). The signals are fed into a
multiswitch under the floor and two cables feed to each room in the
house. One cable caries satellite only, the other carries satellite,
terrestrial TV and FM radio - the standard (quadplex) faceplate splits
the signals to separate connectors. A simple and effective way to
distribute various signals around the house, without too many cables.

If you're running the cables in the same direction anyway, easier to have
more cables than **** about with fancy boxes.

Not when the need for extra cables comes later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.0f3yi9q6wdg98l@glass...

That's bull****, plenty do.

And as for radio, come on, that was superceded by TV decades ago. The
sooner all yapping DJs are stoned to death the better. And put it on TV,
not radio, so we can actually see what's going on.

Even sillier than you usually manage with cars alone.

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the
same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky
dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to
cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end.
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

ROFL! I see flats around here with one dish per flat. I'd fit an
octa-LNB to each dish and serve 4 flats each.

Makes more sense to have one for the entire building and a proper
distribution system.

[...]

No thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:

Owain wrote:

The Sky Q LNB itself has two outputs which are not the same. One is a
horizontal output and the other a vertical output.

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

No you need to ensure the F-connector is properly aligned on the STB, if
you can't get all the Sky channels try tightening it by 90° then use
some loctite to make sure it doesn't move.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:50:18 +0000, D i m, the absolutely brain dead
notorious troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

Cheers, D i m

You can bet that he cheers every time you suck him off, senile D i m ! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 13:04:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Makes more sense to have one for the entire building

Made even more sense if you just jumped off a building finally, you useless
trolling senile pest!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:55:37 +0000, Steve ******, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

We have four cables

This senile idiot still refuses to understand who he's dealing with! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 13:00:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Not when the need for extra cables comes later.

What both of you filthy trolls desperately need is a few more brain cells!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 12:55:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 08:27:15 +0000, Andy Burned, the dumb senile
troll-feeding idiot, blathered again:

you can't get all the Sky channels try tightening it by 90° then use
some loctite to make sure it doesn't move.

You troll-feeding senile idiot need some loctite applied to your mouth!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 08:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:

Owain wrote:

The Sky Q LNB itself has two outputs which are not the same. One is a
horizontal output and the other a vertical output.

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the
cable.

No you need to ensure the F-connector is properly aligned on the STB, if
you can't get all the Sky channels try tightening it by 90° then use
some loctite to make sure it doesn't move.

Surely 45 de3grees to get half way between horizontal and vertical?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:
How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD
came out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two
channels. But Q does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.

Top notch troll from phucker who once worked for Sky and ran away as he was
too stupid/lazy to do the job.
"Man" with a degree............ pmsl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have principles, I refused to work for a company that treated both it's employees and customers like ****.