Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Antique" fence boards

We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are clearly very old..

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:

does that make sense to anyone?

I suspect a photo would help ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee Wrote in message:
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Waney edge ?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 08:05, Keefiedee wrote:
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with
standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6
feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from
perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have
a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge
boarding. They are clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I
get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

larchlap??

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee Wrote in message:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

The (diminishing) joys of listed buildings ...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard
posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with
straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9".
Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic
appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are
clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Yep,. sounds like tree trunks have been ripped into
boards and the variable height of the boards is due
to the original tree trunks varying like that.

What are they called? Where could I get them?

No reason why they couldnt be ripped from
new tree trunks of the appropriate size.

They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:23 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:23??? And you are up and trolling ALREADY? Life IS miserable if one has
NOBODY to talk to, eh, lonely senile Rodent? LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:58:16 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

no, he's correct this time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:52:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:58:16 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

no, he's correct this time.

Who gives a ****! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:43:28 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:52:03 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:58:16 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

no, he's correct this time.

Who gives a ****! ;-)

Surely you could find something more rewarding to do than posting endless cr-p.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:53:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Who gives a ****! ;-)

Surely you could find something more rewarding to do than posting endless cr-p.

You mean like feeding and humouring the trolls, you dumb troll-feeding
senile idiot? No, thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 10:11, Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

Are you in conservation area ?. Are these in front of the property ?

If YES to both, tread carefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 19:17:32 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 15/02/2020 10:11, Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

Are you in conservation area ?. Are these in front of the property ?

If YES to both, tread carefully.

it's listed, OP has to tread carefully anyway. Listing includes things in the curtilage.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:11 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:11:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane senile troll's latest troll****

08:11??? LOL And STILL unable to go to bed, you clinically insane senile
cretin? Serves you right, you oboxious senile filth!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:31:09 -0800 (PST), , the
troll-feeding senile Google groper, blathered again:

such a waste.

You CAN'T but feed the troll, eh, you typical retarded Google groper? LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:

Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time.

Nah, kids pick it off ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

I'm not sure why it's pricey - it's cheap for the sawmill to make because it
includes the edge of the trunk, they don't have to trim and discard that
piece. Unless you're looking at say oak (when it'll be expensive anyway)?

Find a local sawmill who should be able to help.
For a randomly selected vendor, this is about 3 quid a meter for example:
https://co2timber.co.uk/waneyedge.php

Theo