DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Antique" fence boards (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644616-antique-fence-boards.html)

Keefiedee[_2_] February 15th 20 08:05 AM

"Antique" fence boards

We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are clearly very old..

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Andy Burns[_13_] February 15th 20 08:08 AM

"Antique" fence boards

Keefiedee wrote:

does that make sense to anyone?

I suspect a photo would help ...

Jimk February 15th 20 08:21 AM

"Antique" fence boards

Keefiedee Wrote in message:
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Waney edge ?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Keefiedee[_2_] February 15th 20 10:11 AM

"Antique" fence boards

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 15th 20 11:03 AM

"Antique" fence boards

On 15/02/2020 08:05, Keefiedee wrote:
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with
standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6
feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from
perhaps 6" to 9". Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have
a very rustic appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge
boarding. They are clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone? What are they called? Where could I
get them? They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

larchlap??

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Jimk February 15th 20 12:41 PM

"Antique" fence boards

Keefiedee Wrote in message:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

The (diminishing) joys of listed buildings ...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Rod Speed February 15th 20 04:23 PM

"Antique" fence boards

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard
posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with
straight vertical edges, but variable in height from perhaps 6" to 9".
Neither horizontal edge is straight, so they have a very rustic
appearance, and they are also tapered like featheredge boarding. They are
clearly very old.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Yep,. sounds like tree trunks have been ripped into
boards and the variable height of the boards is due
to the original tree trunks varying like that.

What are they called? Where could I get them?

No reason why they couldnt be ripped from
new tree trunks of the appropriate size.

They are all pretty much past their sell-by date!

Peeler[_4_] February 15th 20 04:57 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:23 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:23??? And you are up and trolling ALREADY? Life IS miserable if one has
NOBODY to talk to, eh, lonely senile Rodent? LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
[email protected] February 15th 20 05:52 PM

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:58:16 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

no, he's correct this time.

Peeler[_4_] February 15th 20 06:42 PM

Who gives a ****! ;-)

[email protected] February 15th 20 06:53 PM

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:43:28 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:52:03 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:58:16 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:23:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

no, he's correct this time.

Who gives a ****! ;-)

Surely you could find something more rewarding to do than posting endless cr-p.

Peeler[_4_] February 15th 20 07:10 PM

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:53:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Who gives a ****! ;-)

Surely you could find something more rewarding to do than posting endless cr-p.

You mean like feeding and humouring the trolls, you dumb troll-feeding
senile idiot? No, thanks!

Andrew[_22_] February 15th 20 07:17 PM

"Antique" fence boards

On 15/02/2020 10:11, Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

Are you in conservation area ?. Are these in front of the property ?

If YES to both, tread carefully.

[email protected] February 15th 20 09:31 PM

"Antique" fence boards

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 19:17:32 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 15/02/2020 10:11, Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

Are you in conservation area ?. Are these in front of the property ?

If YES to both, tread carefully.

it's listed, OP has to tread carefully anyway. Listing includes things in the curtilage.

NT

Peeler[_4_] February 15th 20 10:30 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:11 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:11:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane senile troll's latest troll****

08:11??? LOL And STILL unable to go to bed, you clinically insane senile
cretin? Serves you right, you oboxious senile filth!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."

Peeler[_4_] February 15th 20 10:32 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:31:09 -0800 (PST), , the
troll-feeding senile Google groper, blathered again:

such a waste.

You CAN'T but feed the troll, eh, you typical retarded Google groper? LOL

Andy Burns[_13_] February 16th 20 05:22 PM

"Antique" fence boards

Keefiedee wrote:

Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time.

Nah, kids pick it off ...

Theo[_3_] February 17th 20 09:04 AM

"Antique" fence boards

Keefiedee wrote:

Right. That sounds/looks right. Presumably the bark falls off with the passage of time. Rather pricey! But many thanks.

I'm not sure why it's pricey - it's cheap for the sawmill to make because it
includes the edge of the trunk, they don't have to trim and discard that
piece. Unless you're looking at say oak (when it'll be expensive anyway)?

Find a local sawmill who should be able to help.
For a randomly selected vendor, this is about 3 quid a meter for example:
https://co2timber.co.uk/waneyedge.php

Theo