Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You can get wifi access points which have an Ethernet port and an aerial.
You can even use an old unwanted router as an access point, if you turn off
its DHCP server and connect the PVR to a LAN port rather than (if it has
one) a WAN port.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 15:56, NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You can get wifi access points which have an Ethernet port and an
aerial. You can even use an old unwanted router as an access point, if
you turn off its DHCP server and connect the PVR to a LAN port rather
than (if it has one) a WAN port.

If you need and old router, just pay for postage then contact me. #reply
here and I will send your details. Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:31:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB?

Yes. They sometimes call them 'gaming adaptor' (or did). Many Access
Points can also be configured to do what you want. I used one years
ago to make my Dads old CRT iMac 'wireless'. ;-)

I have a TP-Link WA801ND in front of me that I think is currently
setup as you require (so I can access my mates network across the
road, rather than having to go over there and using better antenna
than typically on a laptop etc).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...m=select-local

There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

And unlikely to have the right drivers etc.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often a
more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some trolls
with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB?

Yes. They sometimes call them 'gaming adaptor' (or did). Many Access
Points can also be configured to do what you want. I used one years
ago to make my Dads old CRT iMac 'wireless'. ;-)

I have a TP-Link WA801ND in front of me that I think is currently
setup as you require (so I can access my mates network across the
road, rather than having to go over there and using better antenna
than typically on a laptop etc).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...m=select-local

There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

And unlikely to have the right drivers etc.

Cheers, T i m

Things that will do that are readily available. We use one in our living room, and another in an upstairs room to connect our non-wifi printer to make it available to every other computer.

TV, DVD, Chromecast and network thingy all plugged into one socket via a remote switch so everything goes off at night.

I have a Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender Model EX6150 right in front of me. Used it when I set up my current computer a few months ago. The wifi card in the PC does not get detected and installed by Windows. So used this device with a short Ethernet cable to get going.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB?

Yes. They sometimes call them 'gaming adaptor' (or did). Many Access
Points can also be configured to do what you want. I used one years
ago to make my Dads old CRT iMac 'wireless'. ;-)

I have a TP-Link WA801ND in front of me that I think is currently
setup as you require (so I can access my mates network across the
road, rather than having to go over there and using better antenna
than typically on a laptop etc).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...m=select-local

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

And unlikely to have the right drivers etc.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

And hope and pray that the mains wiring between them is capable of carrying
the signal. Our house is an L shape, with a long distance from the router at
one extreme of the L to rooms at the other end. And the house has two "fuse
boxes" with sockets at different ends of the L on different fuse boxes -
though still all going through the same meter which I gather is the absolute
show-stopper if you try to go between sockets on different meters.

When I tried it with Homeplug devices that were rated at I think 80 Mbps I
got a transfer rate of about 5 Mbps with frequent drop-outs; to get 80 Mbps
I had to be on sockets that were no more than a few yards apart. And that
was using a Homeplug-with-wifi device that was in a socket on the *same*
fuse box as the router, and even with a laptop a few feet from the Homeplug.
There's something in our house wiring which seems to denature Homeplug even
over distances of a few yards between adjacent rooms when both sockets are
on the same ring-main.

So I abandoned the idea of Homeplug and tried a Linksys Velop mesh network
which is mostly pretty good, though it took a *lot* of tweaking of positions
of intermediate nodes to get them positioned correctly because they need to
be as far away as possible so their 2.4 GHz networks don't experience
channel clashes, but close enough that the 5 GHz (which is what is used for
node-to-node comms) can still communicate. Quite a balancing act! My initial
mistake was to assume that variable transfer rates and frequent dropouts of
node-to-node comms was due to too *little* 5 GHz signal, when it was
actually nodes perpetually trying to reconfigure themselves to avoid
clashing on 2.4 GHz. I'd turn off 2.4 GHz, but my laptop and my security
cameras don't have 5 GHz adaptors. And yo can't turn off 2.4 on selected
nodes - it's either on all nodes or else none. So it now works well. The
only problem is when there's a power cut, because I need to turn on nodes in
a certain order otherwise one node may try (and fail) to connect to a node
that is not its nearest neighbour and hasn't got the common sense to adjust
once a stronger/nearer node has booted up.

Mesh is supposed to be used for a spherical/cylindrical topology where all
the nodes talk to one central node and don't have to daisy-chain from A to B
to C to D in a linear fashion, as is the case in our L-shaped house. I need
to move my primary node (the one that talks to the ISP's router by Ethernet)
so it has better wifi coverage, then I may be able to avoid nodes
daisy-chaining and hopefully each node will each be able to talk directly to
the primary; I may even find then that I don't need as many nodes. But that
means buying and routing two lots of Cat 5 across the living room, which
needs me to get a "Round Tuit". ;-) Two lots because I'd need to go from
router to primary node across the living room, and then back to hub that
feeds TV/PVR and my study next door (at present, router, primary node and
hub are adjacent). And then find some way of getting mains for the node in
its new position... I wish I'd gone for my original idea of running a long
length of Cat 5 from one end of the L to the other, through the loft, and
then using a simple access point from there for wifi coverage, given than I
mostly need wifi at the two ends of the L (bedrooms at one end; study/lounge
at the other) and not in the middle.

The joys of buying an old house with thick outside (and even inside) walls,
which was built in two phases so the newer "wing" is on a different fusebox,
and with modern heat-reflecting windows with "fake leaded lights" within the
panes, which seem to severely attenuate 5 GHz as it tries to take the
shorter route from one end to the other across the patio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/02/2020 17:40, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

And hope and pray that the mains wiring between them is capable of
carrying the signal. Our house is an L shape, with a long distance from
the router at one extreme of the L to rooms at the other end. And the
house has two "fuse boxes" with sockets at different ends of the L on
different fuse boxes - though still all going through the same meter
which I gather is the absolute show-stopper if you try to go between
sockets on different meters.

When I tried it with Homeplug devices that were rated at I think 80 Mbps
I got a transfer rate of about 5 Mbps with frequent drop-outs; to get 80
Mbps I had to be on sockets that were no more than a few yards apart.

I also found difficulty with the old 80 mbps homeplugs. You'd think the
higher speed ones would be worse, but on the contrary they connect much
better.

We have a very thick wall running down the middle of our house, which
makes a mockery of wifi. Hence my enthusiasm for Homeplug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

i use similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-...dp/B00AHXXJVW/

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 16:55, John Rumm wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often a
more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some trolls
with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

Well John, I can give you chapter and verse on both.

First of all I bought ths little number (mains powerd via USB) to go on
the end of long piece pfcat 5 for WiFi on the patio...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016E93MX2/

It is allegedly capable of far mopre than being a wifi acess pointbutr
peole who have tried to make it so have not alwys been successful.

It works great.

Secondly I have two pairs of TP link powerline adapters - one pair of
single ethernet sockets stuff works reliably, the other that had twin
ethernet sockets in each unit (and a 13A socket) does not., After a
while they just stop working and need rebooting.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 16:55, John Rumm wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often
a more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some
trolls with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

Well John, I can give you chapter and verse on both.

First of all I bought ths little number (mains powerd via USB) to go on
the end of long piece pfcat 5 for WiFi on the patio...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016E93MX2/

Yup RouterOS devices seem fairly capable... and a fair bit of capability
for the money.

(Although I would probably go for a PoE powered one in outside
applications).

It is allegedly capable of far mopre than being a wifi acess pointbutr
peole who have tried to make it so have not alwys been successful.

That may be a reflection on the people rather than the device. Their kit
is aimed at the more tech capable user.

It works great.

Secondly I have two pairs of TP link powerline adapters - one pair of
single ethernet sockets stuff works reliably, the other that had twin
ethernet sockets in each unit (and a 13A socket) does not., After a
while they just stop working and need rebooting.

As is usually the case, your mileage may vary, although I have found the
AV600 ones to be reliable (and have 25+ installed in various
applications). I can't speak for all the model range, as I have not
tried the higher speed ones.

If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 19:23, David Wade wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

i use similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-...dp/B00AHXXJVW/

That will work, although might be worth noting it might give lower wifi
speeds for devices that connect to it in preference to the main router
in some cases (from the spec it looks like it only has one radio).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 18:15, GB wrote:
On 14/02/2020 17:40, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

[...]

They have certainly improved over the years (having gone through older
14, 80, 200AV standards etc)

We have a very thick wall running down the middle of our house, which
makes a mockery of wifi. Hence my enthusiasm for Homeplug.

If its your own place, then there is a lot to be said for biting the
bullet and doing a proper (structured) cabled network.

(from my point of view the joy of homeplug is the ease with which one
can get a client to self install a working network without the need for
on site support or any need for house bashing!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

Not got a pocket for a laptop in your hair shirt? :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
On 14/02/2020 15:56, NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You can get wifi access points which have an Ethernet port and an
aerial. You can even use an old unwanted router as an access point, if
you turn off its DHCP server and connect the PVR to a LAN port rather
than (if it has one) a WAN port.

If you need and old router, just pay for postage then contact me. #reply
here and I will send your details. Cheers

The device plugged into the PVR needs to be able to connect to an existing
access point, rather than generating its own. Many consumer routers
(especially the ones from ISPs) won't do that. It should be feasible if you
can put OpenWrt or DD-WRT on it.

(A common recommendation for that is the BT HomeHub 5A, which many people
have lying around - I bought one on ebay with OpenWrt installed for 16 quid)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 15:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network
is doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links
between all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

Not got a pocket for a laptop in your hair shirt? :-)

got a lappie and a phone. All on linux

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman