Old February 14th 20, 08:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

i use similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-...dp/B00AHXXJVW/

Dave

Old February 15th 20, 07:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 16:55, John Rumm wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often a
more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some trolls
with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

Well John, I can give you chapter and verse on both.

First of all I bought ths little number (mains powerd via USB) to go on
the end of long piece pfcat 5 for WiFi on the patio...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016E93MX2/

It is allegedly capable of far mopre than being a wifi acess pointbutr
peole who have tried to make it so have not alwys been successful.

It works great.

Secondly I have two pairs of TP link powerline adapters - one pair of
single ethernet sockets stuff works reliably, the other that had twin
ethernet sockets in each unit (and a 13A socket) does not., After a
while they just stop working and need rebooting.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Old February 15th 20, 02:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 16:55, John Rumm wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often
a more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some
trolls with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

Well John, I can give you chapter and verse on both.

First of all I bought ths little number (mains powerd via USB) to go on
the end of long piece pfcat 5 for WiFi on the patio...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016E93MX2/

Yup RouterOS devices seem fairly capable... and a fair bit of capability
for the money.

(Although I would probably go for a PoE powered one in outside
applications).

It is allegedly capable of far mopre than being a wifi acess pointbutr
peole who have tried to make it so have not alwys been successful.

That may be a reflection on the people rather than the device. Their kit
is aimed at the more tech capable user.

It works great.

Secondly I have two pairs of TP link powerline adapters - one pair of
single ethernet sockets stuff works reliably, the other that had twin
ethernet sockets in each unit (and a 13A socket) does not., After a
while they just stop working and need rebooting.

As is usually the case, your mileage may vary, although I have found the
AV600 ones to be reliable (and have 25+ installed in various
applications). I can't speak for all the model range, as I have not
tried the higher speed ones.

If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 15th 20, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 19:23, David Wade wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

i use similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-...dp/B00AHXXJVW/

That will work, although might be worth noting it might give lower wifi
speeds for devices that connect to it in preference to the main router
in some cases (from the spec it looks like it only has one radio).

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 15th 20, 02:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 18:15, GB wrote:
On 14/02/2020 17:40, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

And hope and pray that the mains wiring between them is capable of
carrying the signal. Our house is an L shape, with a long distance
from the router at one extreme of the L to rooms at the other end. And
the house has two "fuse boxes" with sockets at different ends of the L
on different fuse boxes - though still all going through the same
meter which I gather is the absolute show-stopper if you try to go
between sockets on different meters.

When I tried it with Homeplug devices that were rated at I think 80
Mbps I got a transfer rate of about 5 Mbps with frequent drop-outs; to
get 80 Mbps I had to be on sockets that were no more than a few yards
apart.

I also found difficulty with the old 80 mbps homeplugs. You'd think the
higher speed ones would be worse, but on the contrary they connect much
better.

They have certainly improved over the years (having gone through older
14, 80, 200AV standards etc)

We have a very thick wall running down the middle of our house, which
makes a mockery of wifi. Hence my enthusiasm for Homeplug.

If its your own place, then there is a lot to be said for biting the
bullet and doing a proper (structured) cabled network.

(from my point of view the joy of homeplug is the ease with which one
can get a client to self install a working network without the need for
on site support or any need for house bashing!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 15th 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Old February 15th 20, 04:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

Not got a pocket for a laptop in your hair shirt? :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 15th 20, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
On 14/02/2020 15:56, NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You can get wifi access points which have an Ethernet port and an
aerial. You can even use an old unwanted router as an access point, if
you turn off its DHCP server and connect the PVR to a LAN port rather
than (if it has one) a WAN port.

If you need and old router, just pay for postage then contact me. #reply
here and I will send your details. Cheers

The device plugged into the PVR needs to be able to connect to an existing
access point, rather than generating its own. Many consumer routers
(especially the ones from ISPs) won't do that. It should be feasible if you
can put OpenWrt or DD-WRT on it.

(A common recommendation for that is the BT HomeHub 5A, which many people
have lying around - I bought one on ebay with OpenWrt installed for 16 quid)

Theo
Old February 16th 20, 03:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 15:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 13:13, John Rumm wrote:
If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network
is doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links
between all the devices.

Installing it on what?
No winders here m8

Not got a pocket for a laptop in your hair shirt? :-)

got a lappie and a phone. All on linux

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman